Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement
This paper proposes a new methodology for multidimensional poverty measurement consisting of an identification method [rho]k that extends the traditional intersection and union approaches, and a class of poverty measures M[alpha]. Our identification step employs two forms of cutoff: one within each dimension to determine whether a person is deprived in that dimension, and a second across dimensions that identifies the poor by 'counting' the dimensions in which a person is deprived. The aggregation step employs the FGT measures, appropriately adjusted to account for multidimensionality. The axioms are presented as joint restrictions on identification and the measures, and the methodology satisfies a range of desirable properties including decomposability. The identification method is particularly well suited for use with ordinal data, as is the first of our measures, the adjusted headcount ratio M0. We present some dominance results and an interpretation of the adjusted headcount ratio as a measure of unfreedom. Examples from the US and Indonesia illustrate our methodology.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atkinson, Tony & Cantillon, Bea & Marlier, Eric & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Social Indicators: The EU and Social Inclusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199253494, March.
- Ingrid Robeyns, 2005. "Selecting Capabilities for Quality of Life Measurement," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 74(1), pages 191-215, October.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2003.
"The Measurement of Social Exclusion,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
364, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Alkire, Sabina, 2002. "Dimensions of Human Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 181-205, February.
- Boland, Philip J. & Proschan, Frank, 1988. "Multivariate arrangement increasing functions with applications in probability and statistics," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 286-298, May.
- Alkire, Sabina, 2008. "Choosing Dimensions: The Capability Approach and Multidimensional Poverty," MPRA Paper 8862, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Allison, R. Andrew & Foster, James E., 2004. "Measuring health inequality using qualitative data," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 505-524, May.
- Walter Bossert & Conchita D'Ambrosio & Vito Peragine, 2007.
"Deprivation and Social Exclusion,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(296), pages 777-803, November.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D'AMBROSIO, Conchita & PERAGINE, Vito, 2004. "Deprivation and Social Exclusion," Cahiers de recherche 02-2004, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D'AMBROSIO, Conchita & PERAGINE, Vito, 2004. "Deprivation and Social Exclusion," Cahiers de recherche 2004-01, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Esfandiar Maasoumi & Maria Ana Lugo, 2008.
"The Information Basis of Multivariate Poverty Assessments,"
0804, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Lugo, Maria, 2006. "The Information Basis of Multivariate Poverty Assessments," Departmental Working Papers 0603, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Kannai, Yakar, 1980. "The ALEP definition of complementarity and least concave utility functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 115-117, February.
- Joseph Deutsch & Jacques Silber, 2005. "Measuring Multidimensional Poverty: An Empirical Comparison Of Various Approaches," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(1), pages 145-174, 03.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & David E. Sahn & Stephen D. Younger, 2006.
"Robust Multidimensional Poverty Comparisons,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(514), pages 943-968, October.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Juan Carlos Feres & Xavier Mancero, 2001. "El método de las necesidades básicas insatisfechas (NBI) y sus aplicaciones en América Latina," DOCUMENTOS DE INVESTIGACION 002525, CEPAL NACIONES UNIDAS.
- Kai-yuen Tsui, 2002. "Multidimensional poverty indices," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 69-93.
- Amartya Sen, 2004. "Capabilities, Lists, And Public Reason: Continuing The Conversation," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 77-80.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi, Ruhi Saith and Frances Stewart, .
"Does it matter that we don't agree on the definition of poverty? A comparison of four approaches,"
QEH Working Papers
qehwps107, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi & Ruhi Saith & Frances Stewart, 2003. "Does it Matter that we do not Agree on the Definition of Poverty? A Comparison of Four Approaches," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 243-274.
- Atkinson, A B, 1987. "On the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 749-64, July.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1994. "Measuring Social Welfare with and without Poverty Lines," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 359-64, May.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1977. "Multidimensional Egalitarianisms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Sen, Amartya, 1997. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292975, March.
- Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 1996. "Resources, Deprivation, and Poverty," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287858, March.
- James E. Foster, 2007. "A Class of Chronic Poverty Measures," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0701, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pubeco:v:95:y:2011:i:7-8:p:476-487. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.