On the public economics of annuities with differential mortality
This paper studies the problem of redistribution between individuals having different mortality rates. We use a continuous time model in which there are two types of individuals characterized by different survival probability paths. Individual preferences are represented by a generalized life-cycle utility function which can exhibit temporal risk aversion. We successively compare utilitarian allocations when individuals exhibit temporal risk neutrality and temporal risk aversion. This problem is analyzed in the contexts of full information and asymmetric information on mortality rates.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antoine Bommier, 2008. "Rational Impatience ?," Working Papers hal-00441880, HAL.
- Johann Brunner & Susanne Pech, 2008.
"Optimum taxation of life annuities,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 30(2), pages 285-303, February.
- Johann K. Brunner & Susanne Pech, 2005. "Optimum Taxation of Life Annuities," Economics working papers 2005-06, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Johann K. Brunner & Susanne Pech, 2006. "Optimum Taxation of Life Annuities," CESifo Working Paper Series 1642, CESifo Group Munich.
- Levhari, David & Mirman, Leonard J, 1977. "Savings and Consumption with an Uncertain Horizon," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 265-81, April.
- Antoine Bommier, 2001.
"Uncertain lifetime and intertemporal choice : risk aversion as a rationale for time discounting,"
Research Unit Working Papers
0108, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Antoine Bommier, 2006. "Uncertain Lifetime And Intertemporal Choice: Risk Aversion As A Rationale For Time Discounting," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1223-1246, November.
- Helmuth Cremer & Jean-Marie Lozachmeur & Pierre Pestieau, 2010.
"Collective Annuities and Redistribution,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 12(1), pages 23-41, 02.
- Helmuth Cremer & Jean-Marie Lozachmeur & Pierre Pestieau, 2010. "Collective Annuities and Redistribution," Post-Print halshs-00754472, HAL.
- CREMER, Helmuth & LOZACHMEUR, Jean-Marie & PESTIAU, Pierre, 2007. "Collective annuities and redistribution," CORE Discussion Papers 2007096, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Barro, Robert J & Friedman, James W, 1977.
"On Uncertain Lifetimes,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(4), pages 843-49, August.
- Jeffrey Brown & Jeffrey B. Liebman & Joshua Pollet, 2002. "Appendix. Estimating Life Tables That Reflect Socioeconomic Differences In Mortality," NBER Chapters, in: The Distributional Aspects of Social Security and Social Security Reform, pages 447-458 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1974. "Risk aversion with many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 361-388, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pubeco:v:95:y:2011:i:7-8:p:612-623. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.