Journal of Public Economics
December 1997, Volume 66, Issue 3
- 469-487 The effect of property tax limitation measures on local government fiscal behavior
by Dye, Richard F. & McGuire, Therese J.
- 489-504 On the possibility of efficient private provision of public goods through government subsidies
by Kirchsteiger, Georg & Puppe, Clemens
- 505-516 Economic efficiency and mixed public/private insurance
by Blomqvist, A. & Johansson, P-O.
- 517-523 More on the economic efficiency of mixed public/private insurance
by Selden, Thomas M.
- 525-526 Rejoinder to T.M. Selden
by Blomqvist, Ake & Johansson, Per-Olov
November 1997, Volume 66, Issue 2
- 173-197 Tax evasion in an open economy:: Value-added vs. income taxation
by Gordon, Roger H. & Bo Nielsen, Soren
- 199-224 Coordination of environmental policy for transboundary environmental problems?
by Hoel, Michael
- 225-245 Income convergence within an economic union: the role of factor mobility and coordination
by Razin, Assaf & Yuen, Chi-Wa
- 247-274 The selection principle and market failure in systems competition
by Sinn, Hans-Werner
- 275-291 Is free trade in the interest of exporting countries when there is ecological dumping?
by Walz, Uwe & Wellisch, Dietmar
- 293-312 Taxation, wage controls and the informal sector
by Fortin, Bernard & Marceau, Nicolas & Savard, Luc
- 313-326 Social security reform for economic transition: the case of the Czech Republic
by Coulter, Fiona & Heady, Christopher & Lawson, Colin & Smith, Stephen
- 327-347 On income tax avoidance: the case of Germany
by Lang, Oliver & Nohrba[ss], Karl-Heinz & Stahl, Konrad
October 1997, Volume 66, Issue 1
- 1-31 Rent assistance and housing demand
by Koning, Ruud H. & Ridder, Geert
- 33-53 Fiscal competition and the pattern of public spending
by Keen, Michael & Marchand, Maurice
- 55-71 Conspicuous consumption, snobbism and conformism
by Corneo, Giacomo & Jeanne, Olivier
- 73-97 Taxes and labor supply of high-income physicians
by Showalter, Mark H. & Thurston, Norman K.
- 99-126 On the ineffectiveness of tax policy in altering long-run growth: Harberger's superneutrality conjecture
by Mendoza, Enrique G. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria & Asea, Patrick
- 127-144 A neglected welfare cost of monopoly--and most other product market distortions
by Browning, Edgar K.
- 145-171 Progressive taxation and income inequality in dynamic competitive equilibrium
by Sarte, Pierre-Daniel G.
September 1997, Volume 65, Issue 3
- 245-269 Did the "tax revolt" reduce school performance?
by Figlio, David N.
- 271-293 Can centralized educational standards raise welfare?
by Costrell, Robert M.
- 295-322 The implicit taxes from college financial aid
by Dick, Andrew W. & Edlin, Aaron S.
- 323-342 Negotiations in multi-issue committees
by Winter, Eyal
- 343-366 Pareto efficient income taxation under costly monitoring
by Schroyen, Fred
- 367-386 On the distribution of debt and taxes
by Caselli, Francesco
- 387-394 Comprehensive income taxation, investments in human and physical capital, and productivity A note
by Echevarria, Cruz A. & Iza, Amaia
August 1997, Volume 65, Issue 2
- 89-117 Does welfare play any role in female headship decisions?
by Williamson Hoyne, Hilary
- 119-145 The effects of firm specific taxes and government mandates with an application to the U.S. unemployment insurance program
by Anderson, Patricia M. & Meyer, Bruce D.
- 147-162 Fiscal crises and aggregate demand: can high public debt reverse the effects of fiscal policy?
by Sutherland, Alan
- 163-176 The seesaw principle in international tax policy
by Slemrod, Joel & Hansen, Carl & Procter, Roger
- 177-192 Odd versus even: comparative statics in multicommunity models
by Fernandez, Raquel
- 193-205 Optimal policies for solid waste disposal Taxes, subsidies, and standards
by Palmer, Karen & Walls, Margaret
- 207-217 The no-loss offset provision and the attitude towards risk of a risk-neutral firm
by Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris
- 219-228 Quality of life and the WTP for an increased life expectancy at an advanced age
by Johannesson, Magnus & Johansson, Per-Olov
- 229-244 Redistributive policy with labour mobility across countries
by Leite-Monteiro, Manuel
July 1997, Volume 65, Issue 1
- 3-7 On the uses of club theory: Preface to the club theory symposium
by Glazer, Amihai & Niskanen, Esko & Scotchmer, Suzanne
- 9-22 Volunteer work and club size: Nash equilibrium and optimality
by Barham, Vicky & Boadway, Robin & Marchand, Maurice & Pestieau, Pierre
- 23-35 Investment in local public services: Nash equilibrium and social optimum
by Cremer, Helmuth & Marchand, Maurice & Pestieau, Pierre
- 37-44 Why voters may prefer congested public clubs
by Glazer, Amihai & Niskanen, Esko
- 45-59 Migration between home country and diaspora: An economic analysis
by Hercowitz, Zvi & Pines, David
- 61-74 Bargaining between benevolent jurisdictions or when delegation induces inefficiencies
by Jehiel, Phillippe
- 75-88 On price-taking equilibria in club economies with nonanonymous crowding
by Scotchmer, Suzanne
June 1997, Volume 64, Issue 3
- 291-321 An appending efficient algorithm for allocating public projects with positive complementarities
by Page, Scott E.
- 323-341 Dynamics of social ties and local public good provision
by van Dijk, Frans & van Winden, Frans
- 343-357 Mass privatization, management control and efficiency
by Boss, Dieter & Harms, Phillipp
- 359-387 Optimal unemployment insurance
by Davidson, Carl & Woodbury, Stephen A.
- 389-406 Does external funding of academic research crowd out institutional support?
by Connolly, Laura S.
- 407-424 Revenue erosion through exemption and evasion in Cameroon, 1993
by Gauthier, Bernard & Gersovitz, Mark
- 425-442 Privatization, technology choice and aggregate outcomes
by Hansen, Nico A.
May 1997, Volume 64, Issue 2
- 137-152 Fiscal anarchy in the UK: Modelling poll tax noncompliance
by Besley, Timothy & Preston, Ian & Ridge, Michael
- 153-179 Progressive taxes, equity, and human capital accumulation in an endogenous growth model with overlapping generations
by Bovenberg, A. Lans & van Ewijk, Casper
- 181-205 Privatization and the distribution of income in the commons
by Brito, Dagobert L. & Intriligator, Michael D. & Sheshinski, Eytan
- 207-217 Property taxation, congestion, and local public goods
by Wilson, John Douglas
- 219-240 Income taxes and the timing of marital decisions
by Alm, James & Whittington, Leslie A.
- 241-258 Political structure, taxes, and trade
by Karni, Edi & Chakrabarti, Subir K.
- 259-278 Pricing and entry in regulated industries: The role of regulatory design
by De Fraja, Gianni
- 279-286 Endogenous fertility and the old-age security hypothesis: A note
by Lagerlof, Nils-Petter
- 287-287 Corrigendum to "Transfer pricing rules and corporate tax competition": [J. Public Economics, 60 (1996) 401-422]
by Elitzur, Ramy & Mintz, Jack
April 1997, Volume 64, Issue 1
- 1-23 Disability insurance rejection rates and the labor supply of older workers
by Gruber, Jonathan & Kubik, Jeffrey D.
- 25-40 Minimum wages and the incentives for skill formation
by Agell, Jonas & Lommerud, Kjell Erik
- 41-60 Do Anglo-Saxons free-ride more?
by Burlando, Roberto & Hey, John D.
- 61-81 US non-tariff barriers as privately provided public goods
by Gawande, Kishore
- 83-99 The honest society: Stability and policy considerations
by Nyberg, Sten
- 101-115 Bankable permits for the control of environmental pollution
by Kling, Catherine & Rubin, Jonathan
- 117-123 The numeraire matters in cost-benefit analysis
by Brekke, Kjell Arne
- 125-133 Health insurance and the welfare of health care consumers
by Chiu, W. Henry
February 1997, Volume 63, Issue 3
- 311-329 On the optimality of the Nordic system of dual income taxation
by Nielsen, Soren Bo & Sorensen, Peter Birch
- 331-349 The voluntary provision of a pure public good: The case of reduced CFC emissions and the Montreal Protocol
by Murdoch, James C. & Sandler, Todd
- 351-382 Financial intermediation and the optimal tax system
by Caminal, Ramon
- 383-406 Dynamic epidemiology and the market for vaccinations
by Francis, Peter J.
- 407-428 Environmental Regulation by Private Contest
by Heyes, Anthony G.
- 429-445 Joint production and the private provision of public goods
by Vicary, Simon
- 447-466 Commodity tax harmonisation and public goods
by Delipalla, Sophia
January 1997, Volume 63, Issue 2
- 155-175 Discontinuous losses from poverty, generalized P[alpha] measures, and optimal transfers to the poor
by Bourguignon, Francois & Fields, Gary
- 177-206 Optimal tax rates and tax design during systemic reform
by Newbery, David M.
- 207-237 Environmental tax reform and endogenous growth
by Lans Bovenberg, A. & de Mooij, Ruud A.
- 239-264 Hardball and the soft touch: The economics of optimal insurance contracts with costly state verification and endogenous monitoring costs
by Bond, Eric W. & Crocker, Keith J.
- 265-281 On the consequences of government objectives for economies with mobile populations
by Mansoorian, Arman & Myers, Gordon M.
- 283-300 Using information diffusion models to estimate the impacts of regulatory events on publicly traded firms
by Boardman, Anthony & Vertinsky, Ilan & Whistler, Diana
- 301-309 Strategic taxation of the multinational enterprise: A new argument for double taxation
by Konan, Denise Eby
December 1996, Volume 63, Issue 1
- 1-25 Is the correlation in welfare participation across generations spurious?
by Gottschalk, Peter
- 27-56 Auditing claims in the insurance market with fraud: The credibility issue
by Picard, Pierre
- 57-81 Public R&D policies and cost behavior of the US manufacturing industries
by Mamuneas, Theofanis P. & Ishaq Nadiri, M.
- 83-102 Adverse selection with endogenous information in insurance markets
by Doherty, Neil A. & Thistle, Paul D.
- 103-117 Optimal fiscal policy in open economies with labour market distortions
by Andersen, Torben M. & Rasmussen, Bo Sandemann & Sorensen, Jan Rose
- 119-140 Environment, growth, and optimal policy design
by Mohtadi, Hamid
- 141-153 Competition for foreign direct investments
by Haaparanta, Pertti
November 1996, Volume 62, Issue 3
- 275-295 Do consumers respond to future income shocks? Evidence from social security reform in Taiwan
by Levenson, Alec R.
- 297-325 Ends against the middle: Determining public service provision when there are private alternatives
by Epple, Dennis & Romano, Richard E.
- 327-338 Taxes, redistribution, and growth
by Wright, Randall
- 339-361 Equilibrium formation of class action suits
by Che, Yeon-Koo
- 363-397 A computable general equilibrium model of intergovernmental aid
by Nechyba, Thomas
- 399-412 Dalton-improving tax reform: When households differ in ability and needs
by Mayshar, Joram & Yitzhaki, Shlomo
- 413-422 Efficient private provision of public goods by rewarding deviations from average
by Falkinger, Josef
October 1996, Volume 62, Issue 1-2
- 1-4 Editorial introduction
by Gordon, Roger & Siniscalco, Domenico
- 5-29 Environmental regulations and manufacturers' location choices: Evidence from the Census of Manufactures
by Levinson, Arik
- 31-57 Optimal pricing of environmental and natural resource use with stock externalities
by Farzin, Y. H.
- 59-83 Optimal taxation, public goods and environmental policy with involuntary unemployment
by Bovenberg, A. Lans & van der Ploeg, Frederick
- 85-125 Pollution permits and compliance strategies
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean
- 127-140 Pollution permits and environmental innovation
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean
- 141-181 Environmental taxation and unemployment: Some evidence on the 'double dividend hypothesis' in Europe
by Carraro, Carlo & Galeotti, Marzio & Gallo, Massimo
- 183-207 Imperfect 'tagging' in social insurance programs
by Parsons, Donald O.
- 209-235 Health insurance and the supply of entrepreneurs
by Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Penrod, John R. & Rosen, Harvey S.
- 237-273 Tax reforms and investment: A cross-country comparison
by Cummins, Jason G. & Hassett, Kevin A. & Hubbard, R. Glenn
September 1996, Volume 61, Issue 3
- 307-335 Market structure and prices: The responses of hospitals in the UK National Health Service to competition
by Propper, Carol
- 337-358 An experimental examination of general equilibrium tax incidence
by Quirmbach, Herman C. & Swenson, Charles W. & Vines, Cynthia C.
- 359-381 Satisfaction and comparison income
by Clark, Andrew E. & Oswald, Andrew J.
- 383-407 On the optimality of allowing collusion
by Kofman, Fred & Lawarree, Jacques
- 409-427 Altuism, reputation and noise in linear public goods experiments
by Palfrey, Thomas R. & Prisbrey, Jeffrey E.
- 429-443 Training, migration, and regional income disparities
by Leach, John
- 445-454 Market failures in the R&D growth model with endogenous labor supply
by Eriksson, Clas
- 455-457 'What a difference a day makes...': Concern about a new approach to valuing a life
by Cullis, John G. & Jones, Philip R.
August 1996, Volume 61, Issue 2
- 155-192 Public policy and anthropometric outcomes in the Cote d'Ivoire
by Thomas, Duncan & Lavy, Victor & Strauss, John
- 193-208 Social protection and political competition
by Gabszewicz, J. J. & van Ypersele, T.
- 209-228 Endogenous fertility and the Henry George Theorem
by Schweizer, Urs
- 229-246 A minimalist model of federal grants and flypaper effects
by Brennan, G. & Pincus, J. J.
- 247-262 Suppes-Sen dominance, generalised Lorenz dominance and the welfare economics of competitive equilibrium: Some examples
by Madden, Paul
- 263-287 Reward structures in public good experiments
by Sefton, Martin & Steinberg, Richard
- 289-305 The marginal welfare cost of public funds: Theory and estimates
by Snow, Arthur & Warren, Ronald Jr.
July 1996, Volume 61, Issue 1
- 1-20 Unemployment and increasing private returns to human capital
by Saint-Paul, Gilles
- 21-47 The net national product and exhaustible resources: The effects of foreign trade
by Sefton, J. A. & Weale, M. R.
- 49-71 Interest-group politics under majority rule
by Dougan, William R. & Snyder, James Jr.
- 73-86 Technological linkages, market structure, and production policies
by Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Lovely, Mary E.
- 87-106 Production efficiency and the design of temporary investment incentives
by Jack, William & Viard, Alan D.
- 107-118 How to tax a spatial monopolist
by Heywood, John S. & Pal, Debashis
- 119-137 Optimal fiscal and public expenditure policy in a two-class economy
by Nava, Mario & Schroyen, Fred & Marchand, Maurice
- 139-154 International public goods and contribution productivity differentials
by Ihori, Toshihiro
June 1996, Volume 60, Issue 3
- 303-305 Editorial introduction to "Tax reforms and tax harmonization: Public choice versus public finance"
by Schneider, Friedrich
- 307-334 Designing tax policy in federalist economies: An overview
by Inman, Robert P. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L.
- 335-349 To harmonize or to compete? That's not the question
by Frey, Bruno S. & Eichenberger, Reiner
- 351-371 Tax harmonization and tax competition in the European Union: Lessons from Switzerland
by Kirchgassner, Gebhard & Pommerehne, Werner W.
- 373-399 Optimality properties of alternative systems of taxation of foreign capital income
by Mintz, Jack & Tulkens, Henry
- 401-422 Transfer pricing rules and corporate tax competition
by Elitzur, Ramy & Mintz, Jack
- 423-445 Foreign direct investment under oligopoly: Profit shifting or profit capturing?
by Janeba, Eckhard
May 1996, Volume 60, Issue 2
- 153-175 The role of social security in an economy with asymmetric information and financial intermediaries
by Reichlin, Pietro & Siconolfi, Paolo
- 177-198 Imperfect mobility and local government behaviour in an overlapping-generations model
by Wildasin, David E. & Wilson, John Douglas
- 199-219 Labour supply, household production and intra-family welfare distribution
by Apps, P. F. & Rees, R.
- 221-233 Fundamental irreversibilities in stock externalities
by Kolstad, Charles D.
- 235-249 Tax evasion and the optimum general income tax
by Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz
- 251-265 Cutting environmental penalties to protect the environment
by Heyes, Anthony G.
- 267-282 Budgetary deficits and Ricardian equivalence: The case of India, 1950-1986
by Ghatak, Anita & Ghatak, Subrata
- 283-294 Social security in a non-altruistic model with uncertainty and endogenous fertility
by Rosati, Furio Camillo
- 295-301 Exclusion and moral hazard: A further analysis
by Fraser, Clive D.
April 1996, Volume 60, Issue 1
- 1-19 Trade-offs in the spatial model of resource allocation
by Campbell, Donald E. & Kelly, Jerry S.
- 21-44 Optimal tax, debt, and expenditure policies in a growing economy
by Turnovsky, Stephen J.
- 45-71 Import tariffs and growth in a small open economy
by Osang, Thomas & Pereira, Alfredo
- 73-93 The provision of local public goods and factors in the presence of firm and household mobility
by Richter, Wolfram F. & Wellisch, Dietmar
- 95-110 Environmental consciousness and moral hazard in international agreements to protect the environment
by Petrakis, Emmanuel & Xepapadeas, Anastasios
- 111-130 On the provision of excludable public goods
by Fraser, Clive D.
- 131-146 Transition from a pay-as-you-go to a fully funded pension system: The case of differing individuals and intragenerational fairness
by Brunner, Johann K.
- 147-151 Should capital income be taxed in the steady state?
by Correia, Isabel H.
March 1996, Volume 59, Issue 3
- 313-334 Unemployment duration, unemployment benefits, and labor market programs in Sweden
by Carling, Kenneth & Edin, Per-Anders & Harkman, Anders & Holmlund, Bertil
- 335-364 The Groves-Ledyard mechanism: An experimental study of institutional design
by Chen, Yan & Plott, Charles R.
- 365-395 Reward patterns of fair solutions
by Fleurbaey, Marc
- 397-417 The dynamic efficiency cost of not taxing housing
by Skinner, Jonathan
- 419-434 Capital gains and net national product in open economies
by Asheim, Geir B.
- 435-451 The incidence of interest withholding taxes: Evidence from the LDC loan market
by Huizinga, Harry
February 1996, Volume 59, Issue 2
- 157-175 Do pensions increase the labor supply of older men?
by Ruhm, Christopher J.
- 177-193 Sentencing policy, implied demographic welfare weights, and the theory of sentencing reform
by Waldfogel, Joel
- 195-218 Do economic incentives affect work absence? Empirical evidence using Swedish micro data
by Johansson, Per & Palme, Marten
- 219-237 Majority voting with single-crossing preferences
by Gans, Joshua S. & Smart, Michael
- 239-263 Capital income taxation and long-run growth: New perspectives
by Razin, Assaf & Yuen, Chi-Wa
- 265-276 The Kaldor compensation test and rational choice
by Bossert, Walter
- 277-298 Income taxation and job-market signaling
by Andersson, Fredrik
- 299-308 Toilet cleaning and department chairing: Volunteering a public service
by Bilodeau, Marc & Slivinski, Al
- 309-311 The gains from agricultural research under distorted trade: Comments
by Voon, Thomas J.
January 1996, Volume 59, Issue 1
- 1-15 Competition and regulation in the taxi industry
by Cairns, Robert D. & Liston-Heyes, Catherine
- 17-32 Should a carbon tax be differentiated across sectors?
by Hoel, Michael
- 33-53 Regulation of multinational firms with two active governments: A common agency approach
by Bond, Eric W. & Gresik, Thomas A.
- 55-68 Charitable contributions and intergenerational transfers
by Auten, Gerald & Joulfaian, David
- 69-93 Dynamic income taxation, redistribution, and the ratchet effect
by Dillen, Mats & Lundholm, Michael
- 95-116 Non-point-source pollution regulation as a multi-task principal-agent problem
by Chambers, Robert G. & Quiggin, John
- 117-136 A prisoner's dilemma model of collusion deterrence
by Kofman, Fred & Lawarree, Jacques
- 137-152 Generalized Samuelson conditions and welfare theorems for nonsmooth economies
by Conley, John P. & Diamantaras, Dimitrios
November 1995, Volume 58, Issue 3
- 319-336 Regulation, moral hazard and insurance of environmental risks
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques
- 337-363 Rent seeking and tax competition
by Bucovetsky, S.
- 365-390 Non-leaky buckets: Optimal redistributive taxation and agency costs
by Hoff, Karla & Lyon, Andrew B.
- 391-415 Modelling the take-up of state support
by Duclos, Jean-Yves
- 417-428 From each according to his surplus: Equi-proportionate sharing of commodity tax burdens
by Hines, James Jr. & Hlinko, John C. & Lubke, Theodore J. F.
- 429-451 Lifetime income redistribution by the old-age state pension in The Netherlands
by Nelissen, Jan H. M.
- 453-467 On the principle of equal sacrifice in income taxation
by Ok, Efe A.
- 469-477 A note on subsidizing gifts
by Kaplow, Louis
October 1995, Volume 58, Issue 2
- 159-184 Market failure with moral hazard and side trading
by Kahn, Charles M. & Mookherjee, Dilip
- 185-213 Social security and endogenous growth
by Zhang, Jie
- 215-234 Optimal regulation of MNEs and government revenues
by Dasgupta, Sudipto & Sengupta, Kunal
- 235-256 Coordinated action in local public goods models: The case of secession without exclusion
by Austin, D. Andrew
- 257-265 Taxation, uncertainty and the choice of a consumption tax base
by Zodrow, George R.
- 267-282 Corrective tax and subsidy policies in economies with Bertrand competition
by Dillen, Mats
- 283-307 Promoting fair competition in public procurement
by Vagstad, Steinar
- 309-317 Observable preferences for public goods: A note on the incentive compatibility of inferring demand for public goods from private goods demand
by O'Reilly, Terrance
September 1995, Volume 58, Issue 1
- 1-32 Do 401(k) contributions crowd out other personal saving?
by Poterba, James M. & Venti, Steven F. & Wise, David A.
- 33-55 Nonlinear pricing and price cap regulation
by Amrstong, Mark & Cowan, Simon & Vickers, John
- 57-71 On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty
by Bonds, Stephen R. & Devereux, Michael P.
- 73-84 Uniform taxation and consumer preferences
by Besley, Timothy & Jewitt, Ian
- 85-105 Leaving some stones unturned: A reassessment of iterative planning theory
by Spagat, M.
- 107-126 The private provision of public goods: Altruism and voluntary giving
by Smith, Vincent H. & Kehoe, Michael R. & Cremer, Mary E.
- 127-141 Short-lived agents and the long-lived environment
by John, A. & Pecchenino, R. & Schimmelpfennig, D. & Schreft, S.
- 143-158 Equivalence scales in a rank-3 demand system
by Pashardes, Panos
July 1995, Volume 57, Issue 3
- 337-367 Demand for health insurance and precautionary motives for savings among the elderly
by Levin, Laurence