Journal of Public Economics
September 1995, Volume 58, Issue 1
- 85-105 Leaving some stones unturned: A reassessment of iterative planning theory
by Spagat, M.
- 107-126 The private provision of public goods: Altruism and voluntary giving
by Smith, Vincent H. & Kehoe, Michael R. & Cremer, Mary E.
- 127-141 Short-lived agents and the long-lived environment
by John, A. & Pecchenino, R. & Schimmelpfennig, D. & Schreft, S.
- 143-158 Equivalence scales in a rank-3 demand system
by Pashardes, Panos
July 1995, Volume 57, Issue 3
- 337-367 Demand for health insurance and precautionary motives for savings among the elderly
by Levin, Laurence
- 369-391 Environmental quality and pollution-augmenting technological change in a two-sector endogenous growth model
by Lans Bovenberg, A. & Smulders, Sjak
- 393-416 Strategic control of growth in a system of cities
by Brueckner, Jan K.
- 417-430 The importance of reporting conventions for the theory of corporate taxation
by Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan
- 431-455 Using markets to allocate pollution permits and other scarce resource rights under limited information
by Lewis, Tracy R. & Sappington, David E. M.
- 457-470 Oligopoly structure and the incidence of cigarette excise taxes
by Barnett, Paul G. & Keeler, Theodore E. & Hu, Teh-wei
- 471-488 Unnatural monopoly
by Estrin, Saul & de Meza, David
- 489-505 Strategic transfers and private provision of public goods
by Buchholz, Wolfgang & Konrad, Kai A.
- 507-507 Editorial announcement
by Atkinson, Tony & Stern, Nick
June 1995, Volume 57, Issue 2
- 175-199 Testing a social safety net
by Ravallion, Martin & van de Walle, Dominique & Gautam, Madhur
- 201-217 Energy tax credits and residential conservation investment: Evidence from panel data
by Hassett, Kevin A. & Metcalf, Gilbert E.
- 219-234 Government markets and the theory of the Nth best
by Hahn, Robert W.
- 235-247 The social cost of rent seeking under countervailing opposition to distortionary transfers
by Fabella, Raul V.
- 249-276 A rational expectations model for tax policy analysis: An evaluation of tax incentives for the textile, chemical and pharmaceutical industries of Pakistan
by Rajagopal, Dagmar & Shah, Anwar
- 277-296 Fiscal stress and the production of public safety: A distance function approach
by Grosskopf, S. & Hayes, K. & Hirschberg, J.
- 297-316 The taxation of mobile capital by central cities
by Noiset, Luc & Oakland, William
- 317-335 The incidence of agricultural policies
by Chambers, Robert G.
May 1995, Volume 57, Issue 1
- 1-23 Economic aspects of optimal disability benefits
by Diamond, Peter & Sheshinski, Eytan
- 25-43 A model of monopoly with strategic government intervention
by Anant, T. C. A. & Basu, Kaushik & Mukherji, Badal
- 45-65 Solvency of counter-cyclical policy rules
by van der Ploeg, Frederick
- 67-83 Why voters vote for incumbents but against incumbency: A rational choice explanation
by Friedman, Daniel & Wittman, Donald
- 85-101 Stoking the fires? CO2 emissions and economic growth
by Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Selden, Thomas M.
- 103-127 Heterogeneity of preferences for local public goods: The case of private expenditure on public education
by Gross, John
- 129-167 The connection between public transfers and private interfamily transfers
by Cox, Donald & Jakubson, George
- 169-173 Public pensions with endogenous fertility: Comment on Nishimura and Zhang
by Cigno, Alessandro
March 1995, Volume 56, Issue 3
- 329-353 The political economy of inaction
by Howitt, Peter & Wintrobe, Ronald
- 355-375 Double inefficiency in optimally organized firms
by Bos, Dieter & Peters, Wolfgang
- 377-411 Testing the impact of taxation on capacity choice: A 'putty clay' approach
by Harchaoui, Tarek M. & Lasserre, Pierre
- 413-446 A Pareto-improving commodity tax reform under a smooth nonlinear income tax
by Konishi, Hideo
- 447-460 Productivity in multiple output public service: A quadratic frontier function and Malmquist index approach
by Bjurek, Hans & Hjalmarsson, Lennart
- 461-474 Evaluating effective income tax progression
by Hayes, Kathy J. & Lambert, Peter J. & Slottje, Daniel J.
- 475-484 Regulatory errors, optimal fines and the level of compliance
by Bose, Pinaki
- 485-498 Observability and choice of instrument mix in the control of externalities
by Xepapadeas, A. P.
February 1995, Volume 56, Issue 2
- 165-187 Capital budgets, borrowing rules, and state capital spending
by Poterba, James M.
- 189-223 Randomization in optimal income tax schedules
by Brito, Dagobert L. & Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M. & Stiglitz, Joseph E.
- 225-244 Simulation of indirect tax reforms using pooled micro and macro French data
by Nichele, Veronique & Robin, Jean-Marc
- 245-255 The consequences of minimum wage laws Some new theoretical ideas
by Rebitzer, James B. & Taylor, Lowell J.
- 257-272 Charity donations in the UK: New evidence based on panel data
by Khanna, Jyoti & Posnett, John & Sandler, Todd
- 273-289 Equivalence scales and the costs of disability
by Jones, Andrew & O'Donnell, Owen
- 291-310 Uncertainty and optimal taxation: In defense of commodity taxes
by Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz
- 311-325 Corporate income tax competition, double taxation treaties, and foreign direct investment
by Janeba, Eckhard
- 327-328 Qalys: A comment
by Johannesson, Magnus
January 1995, Volume 56, Issue 1
- 1-30 A utility-consistent, combined discrete choice and count data model Assessing recreational use losses due to natural resource damage
by Hausman, Jerry A. & Leonard, Gregory K. & McFadden, Daniel
- 31-53 Multi-firm regulation without lump-sum taxes
by Lockwood, Ben
- 55-77 Competition in regional environmental policies when plant locations are endogenous
by Markusen, James R. & Morey, Edward R. & Olewiler, Nancy
- 79-96 Which tax rate do people use: Average or marginal?
by de Bartolome, Charles A. M.
- 97-123 Misperceived job hazards and welfare
by Fraser, Clive D.
- 125-141 Incomplete information and optimal market structure public purchases from private providers
by McGuire, Thomas G. & Riordan, Michael H.
- 143-161 Dynamic public goods provision with coalitional manipulation
by Chakravorti, Bhaskar
November 1994, Volume 55, Issue 3
- 349-390 Environmental policy, public finance and the labour market in a second-best world
by Bovenberg, A. L. & van der Ploeg, F.
- 391-405 Existence of fair allocations in economies with production
by Piketty, Thomas
- 407-431 Labour supply, tax evasion and the marginal cost of public funds an empirical investigation
by Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy
- 433-464 State-mandated benefits and employer-provided health insurance
by Gruber, Jonathan
- 465-493 Privatization and changes in welfare costs of inflation the case of ENTel Argentina
by Abdala, Manuel Angel
- 495-504 In-kind transfers, cash grants and labor supply
by Gahvari, Firouz
October 1994, Volume 55, Issue 2
- 167-184 Interregional spillovers in the presence of perfect and imperfect household mobility
by Wellisch, Dietmar
- 185-201 Mass migration, unions, and government intervention
by Schmidt, Christoph M. & Stilz, Anette & Zimmermann, Klaus F.
- 203-231 Privatization, risk-taking, and the communist firm
by Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner
- 233-255 The effectiveness of corporate tax incentives for foreign investment in the presence of tax crediting
by Mintz, Jack M. & Tsiopoulos, Thomas
- 257-278 Tax evasion and the allocation of capital
by Fullerton, Don & Karayannis, Marios
- 279-306 Tax distortions to the choice of organizational form
by Gordon, Roger H. & MacKie-Mason, Jeffrey K.
- 307-321 Costs of monitoring and corporate taxation
by Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan
- 323-347 Credit and deferral as international investment incentives
by Hines, James Jr.
September 1994, Volume 55, Issue 1
- 1-18 Report of the IEA Committee on a new School of Economics and Economic Development (SEED) in the Third World
by Dreze, Jacques H. & Arrow, Kenneth & Atkinston, Anthony B. & Basu, Kaushik & Honkapohja, Seppo & Krueger, Anne & Morales, Juan-Antonio & Stern, Nicholas
- 19-40 Pecuniary redistribution through in-kind programs
by Coate, Stephen & Johnson, Stephen & Zeckhauser, Richard
- 41-51 Fixing the leak in Okun's bucket optimal tax progressivity when avoidance can be controlled
by Slemrod, Joel
- 53-70 Representative democracy and capital taxation
by Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido
- 71-88 Towards a theory of the direct-indirect tax mix
by Boadway, Robin & Marchand, Maurice & Pestieau, Pierre
- 89-105 Parental and social valuations of child health information
by Agee, Mark D. & Crocker, Thomas D.
- 107-119 Altruistic voting and campaign contributions
by Helsley, Robert W. & O'Sullivan, Arthur
- 121-140 How cynical can an incumbent be? Strategic policy in a model of government spending
by Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria & Spolaore, Enrico
- 141-162 Incomplete enforcement with endogenous regulatory choice
by Garvie, Devon & Keeler, Andrew
July 1994, Volume 54, Issue 3
- 325-338 Strategic environmental policy and intrenational trade
by Barrett, Scott
- 339-359 The effects of compulsory schooling on growth, income distribution and welfare
by Eckstein, Zvi & Zilcha, Itzhak
- 361-389 Learning the preferences of governments and voters from proposed spending and aggregated votes
by Rothstein, Paul
- 391-402 Tax evasion and the size of the underground economy
by Jung, Young H. & Snow, Arthur & Trandel, Gregory A.
- 403-421 The comparative static properties of the impure public good model
by Cornes, Richard & Sandler, Todd
- 423-435 Taxation in a two-sided search model
by Smith, Eric
- 437-461 On the effects of investment tax credits on economic efficiency and growth
by Pereira, Alfredo M.
- 463-484 Information expropriation and moral hazard in optimal second-source auctions
by Stole, Lars A.
June 1994, Volume 54, Issue 2
- 161-183 Privatization in Eastern Europe : Irreversibility and critical mass effects
by Roland, Gerard & Verdier, Thierry
- 185-200 Individual behaviour in a free riding experiment
by Weimann, Joachim
- 201-221 Are efficient linear taxes inequitable?
by de Bartolome, Charles A. M.
- 223-242 The second theorem of the second best
by Hoff, Karla
- 243-266 The impact of U.S. tax reform on foreign direct investment in the United States
by Swenson, Deborah L.
- 267-286 Pigou and Coase : A mathematical reconciliation
by DeSerpa, Allan C.
- 287-307 Public capital and the demand for private inputs
by Seitz, Helmut
- 309-321 The provision of public goods via advertising : Existence of equilibria and welfare analysis
by Luski, Israel & Wettstein, David
May 1994, Volume 54, Issue 1
- 1-36 Group size and the voluntary provision of public goods : Experimental evidence utilizing large groups
by Isaac, R. Mark & Walker, James M. & Williams, Arlington W.
- 37-49 Tax policy and urban development : Evidence from the Indiana enterprise zone program
by Papke, Leslie E.
- 51-63 Tax-earmarking and separate school financing
by Bilodeau, Marc
- 65-96 An explanation for why senators from the same state vote differently so frequently
by Jung, Gi-Ryong & Kenny, Lawrence W. & Lott, John Jr.
- 97-119 Transitional dynamics and the distribution of wealth in a neoclassical growth model
by Chatterjee, Satyajit
- 121-143 Probability of purchase, amount of purchase, and the demographic incidence of the lottery tax
by Scott, Frank & Garen, John
- 145-160 Managing water supply shortage : Interruption vs. pricing
by Woo, Chi-Keung
March 1994, Volume 53, Issue 3
- 327-365 How reliable are microsimulation results? : An analysis of the role of sampling error in a U.K. tax-benefit model
by Pudney, Stephen & Sutherland, Holly
- 367-394 How well do static indicators identify the chronically poor?
by Chaudhuri, Shubham & Ravallion, Martin
- 395-418 Corporation tax asymmetries and investment : Evidence from U.K. panel data
by Devereux, Michael P. & Keen, Michael & Schiantarelli, Fabio
- 419-433 The non-tax wedge
by Browning, Edgar K.
- 435-457 Interstate commodity tax differentials and the distribution of residents
by Trandel, Gregory A.
- 459-475 A coasean general equilibrium model of regulation
by Clay, Karen
- 477-495 Government intervention as a bequest substitute
by Strawczynski, Michael
February 1994, Volume 53, Issue 2
- 165-186 Sequential contributions to public goods
by Varian, Hal R.
- 187-204 Proprietary public finance and economic welfare
by Grossman, Herschel I. & Noh, Suk Jae
- 205-222 Capital income taxation and international portfolio choice
by Werner, Ingrid M.
- 223-244 Taxes, financial decisions and organizational form : Evidence from publicly traded partnerships
by Gentry, William M.
- 245-267 Taxes, housing, and capital accumulation in a two-sector growing economy
by Turnovsky, Stephen J. & Okuyama, Toshiyuki
- 269-290 The optimal two-bracket linear income tax
by Slemrod, Joel & Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Mayshar, Joram & Lundholm, Michael
- 291-308 Exclusion and the private enforcement of property rights
by Helsley, Robert W. & Strange, William C.
- 309-317 The shadow wage rate : Theory and application
by Dinwiddy, Caroline & Teal, Francis
- 319-323 The non-equalization of true gift and estate tax rates
by Kuehlwein, Michael
January 1994, Volume 53, Issue 1
- 1-29 Unemployment insurance taxes and the cyclical and seasonal properties of unemployment
by Card, David & Levine, Phillip B.
- 31-51 The reasonableness of non-constant discounting
by Harvey, Charles M.
- 53-71 A Pareto comparison of ad valorem and unit taxes in noncompetitive environments
by Skeath, Susan E. & Trandel, Gregory A.
- 73-89 Local fiscal policies, default risk, and municipal borrowing costs
by Capeci, John
- 91-110 On limiting the market for status signals
by Ireland, Norman J.
- 111-126 Macroeconomic externalities : Are Pigouvian taxes the answer?
by Agell, Jonas & Dillen, Mats
- 127-147 Designing a private industry : Government auctions with endogenous market structure
by Dana, James Jr. & Spier, Kathryn E.
- 149-163 A reexamination of the principal-agent relationship in politics
by Bender, Bruce
October 1993, Volume 52, Issue 3
- 285-307 Budget spillovers and fiscal policy interdependence : Evidence from the states
by Case, Anne C. & Rosen, Harvey S. & Hines, James Jr.
- 309-328 Strategies for the international protection of the environment
by Carraro, Carlo & Siniscalco, Domenico
- 329-344 Is dumping socially inefficient? : An analysis of the effect of Medicare's prospective payment system on the utilization of Veterans Affairs inpatient services
by Eze, Pius & Wolfe, Barbara
- 345-362 A fairness approach to income tax evasion
by Bordignon, Massimo
- 363-376 We voted for this? : Institutions and educational spending
by Olmsted, George M. & Denzau, Arthur T. & Roberts, Judith A.
- 377-390 The evaluation of risky projects by voters
by Glazer, Amihai & Konrad, Kai A.
- 391-401 Optimal linear income tax with random revenue
by Yang, C. C.
- 403-416 Expenditures and student achievement in Illinois : New evidence
by Sander, William
- 417-428 Integrated reforms of tariffs and consumption taxes
by Michael, Michael S. & Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Miller, Stephen M.
September 1993, Volume 52, Issue 2
- 141-162 Commodity tax competition under destination and origin principles
by Lockwood, Ben
- 163-197 Taxation with representation : An analysis of the role of tax practitioners in tax compliance
by Erard, Brian
- 199-216 The marginal efficiency effects of taxes and subsidies in the presence of externalities : A computational general equilibrium approach
by Ballard, Charles L. & Medema, Steven G.
- 217-235 Exclusion and moral hazard : The case of identical demand
by Silva, Emilson C. D. & Kahn, Charles M.
- 237-249 Unemployment insurance and market structure
by Marceau, Nicolas
- 251-271 Tax structure and growth in a model with human capital
by Pecorino, Paul
- 273-283 The elusive ESOP--productivity link : evidence from U.S. firm-level data
by Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Dunbar, Amy E.
August 1993, Volume 52, Issue 1
- 1-29 Wage setting and the tax system theory and evidence for the United Kingdom
by Lockwood, Ben & Manning, Alan
- 31-48 Welfare aspects of technological adoption with learning
by Magnac, T. & Verdier, T.
- 49-72 An analysis of returns to scale in public production, with an application to fire protection
by Duncombe, William & Yinger, John
- 73-82 Public investment and real-price supports
by Chambers, Robert G. & Lopez, Ramon
- 83-100 The welfare effects of alcohol taxation
by Irvine, Ian J. & Sims, William A.
- 101-115 Endogenous unemployment insurance in a monopoly union model when job search matters
by Kiander, Jaakko
- 117-132 Attachment to home and efficient purchases of population in a fiscal externality economy
by Mansoorian, Arman & Myers, Gordon M.
- 133-139 A note on the aggregate effects of social security
by Henry Chiu, W.
July 1993, Volume 51, Issue 3
- 269-285 Federal taxation and the supply of state debt
by Metcalf, Gilbert E.
- 287-307 Constrained choice sets in the U.K. demand for private medical insurance
by Propper, Carol
- 309-327 The decline of organizations and the rise of administrators : Parkinson's Law in theory and practice
by McKee, Michael & Wintrobe, Ronald
- 329-343 Job matching, temporary public employment, and equilibrium unemployment
by Holmlund, Bertil & Linden, Johan
- 345-358 Relative standing comparisons, risk taking, and safety regulations
by Konrad, Kai A. & Lommerud, Kjell Erik
- 359-378 Rather bait than switch : Deceptive advertising with bounded consumer rationality
by Nagler, Matthew G.
- 379-389 Natural resources, national accounting, and economic depreciation: Stock effects
by Hung, N. M.
- 391-413 Are fines more efficient than imprisonment?
by Chu, C. Y. Cyrus & Jiang, Neville
- 415-435 The persistence and inefficiency of property tax finance of local public expenditures
by Krelove, R.
- 437-446 Note on Ricardian equivalence
by Bailey, Martin J.
- 447-454 Identifying the free riders : A simple algorithm for determining who will contribute to a public good
by Andreoni, James & McGuire, Martin C.
June 1993, Volume 51, Issue 2
- 119-151 On reforming the welfare system : Workfare meets the negative income tax
by Fortin, Bernard & Truchon, Michel & Beausejour, Louis
- 153-159 Time inconsistency and fiscal policy : Empirical analysis of U.S. States, 1969-89
by Crain, W. Mark & Tollison, Robert D.
- 161-172 The gains from agricultural research under distorted trade
by Murphy, John A. & Furtan, W. Hartley & Schmitz, Andrew
- 173-193 Coordinating research through research joint ventures
by Gandal, Neil & Scotchmer, Suzanne
- 195-209 A model of political equilibrium in a representative democracy
by Lindbeck, Assar & Weibull, Jorgen W.
- 211-218 Interdependent behavior and the effect of taxes
by Blomquist, N. Soren
- 219-240 Equal sacrifice and incentive compatible income taxation
by Berliant, Marcus & Gouveia, Miguel
- 241-247 Should the government provide catastrophic insurance?
by Selden, Thomas M.
- 249-268 Conservationist government policies and intergenerational equity in an overlapping generations model with renewable resources
by Mourmouras, Alex
May 1993, Volume 51, Issue 1
- 1-2 Editorial introduction
by Marchand, Maurice
- 3-54 Investment-promoting policies in open economies : The importance of intergenerational and international distributional effects
by Lans Bovenberg, A.
- 55-74 Domestic tax reform and international oligopoly
by Keen, Michael & Lahiri, Sajal
- 75-96 On the taxation of multinational corporate investment when the deferral method is used by the capital exporting country
by Leechor, Chad & Mintz, Jack
- 97-116 Taxes, tariffs, and the global corporation
by Levinsohn, James & Slemrod, Joel
March 1993, Volume 50, Issue 3
- 299-323 Pension portability and labor mobility : Evidence from the survey of income and program participation
by Gustman, Alan L. & Steinmeier, Thomas L.
- 325-344 National origin and immigrant welfare recipiency
by Borjas, George J. & Trejo, Stephen J.
- 345-369 Hierarchical design and enforcement of income tax policies
by Sanchez, Isabel & Sobel, Joel
- 371-396 The Ramsey problem for congestible facilities
by Arnott, Richard & Kraus, Marvin
- 397-406 Comprehensive income taxation, investments in human and physical capital, and productivity
by Nerlove, Marc & Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim & von Weizsacker, Robert K.
- 407-427 Finite duration of unemployment insurance, reservation wages and participation in the job market
by Usategui, JoseM.
- 429-444 Two-sided uncertainty in the monopoly agenda setter model
by Banks, Jeffrey S.
- 445-451 A note on the optimum income tax
by Brunner, Johann K.
- 455-455 Economic policy precommitment and social welfare
by Cubitt, Robin P.
February 1993, Volume 50, Issue 2
- 149-167 Qalys
by Broome, John
- 169-196 Approaches to efficient capital taxation : Leveling the playing field vs. living by the golden rule
by Goulder, Lawrence H. & Thalmann, Philippe
- 197-229 Optimal non-linear pricing with regulatory preference over customer type
by Sharkey, William W. & Sibley, David S.
- 231-252 The impact of a nonlinear income tax on the supply of roundwood in Sweden : A policy evaluation experiment based on cross-section data
by Aronsson, Thomas
- 253-259 Time constraints in consumption and savings behavior
by Tanzi, Vito & Zee, Howell H.
- 261-275 Tax evasion and optimal commodity taxation
by Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz
- 277-289 Individual production, community characteristics and the provision of local public services
by Schwartz, Amy Ellen
- 291-298 Voting over income tax progression in a two-period model
by Creedy, John & Francois, Patrick
January 1993, Volume 50, Issue 1
- 1-14 Reconciling voters' behavior with legislative term limits
by Dick, Andrew R. & Lott, John Jr.
- 15-30 Productive efficiency in public and private firms
by De Fraja, Giovanni
- 31-62 Uncertainty resolution and the timing of annuity purchases
by Brugiavini, Agar
- 63-76 Reference-price-independent welfare prescriptions
by Blackorby, Charles & Laisney, Francois & Schmachtenberg, Rolf
- 77-91 Welfare effects of unfunded pension systems when labor supply is endogenous
by Breyer, Friedrich & Straub, Martin
- 93-114 Price and income distortions under separate spending and taxing decisions
by Holsey, Cheryl M.
- 115-141 Alternative tax regimes in a local public good economy
by Pogodzinski, J. M. & Sjoquist, David L.
- 143-146 Household equivalence scales and welfare comparisons: A comment
by Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David
- 147-148 Household equivalence scales and welfare comparisons: Reply
by Lewbel, Arthur
December 1992, Volume 49, Issue 3
- 261-285 A direct examination of the dividend clientele hypothesis
by Scholz, John Karl
- 287-312 Substitution between unemployment insurance and workers' compensation : An analysis applied to the risk of workplace accidents
by Fortin, Bernard & Lanoie, Paul