Journal of Public Economics
2002, Volume 86, Issue 1
- 47-69 Taking prices seriously in the measurement of inequality
by Pendakur, Krishna
- 71-97 Economic theory of spatial cost of living indices with application to Thailand
by Kakwani, Nanak & Hill, Robert J.
- 99-122 Progressivity comparisons
by Dardanoni, Valentino & Lambert, Peter J.
- 123-153 Regional poverty targeting in China
by Park, Albert & Wang, Sangui & Wu, Guobao
2002, Volume 85, Issue 3
- 301-332 The impact of parental income on early schooling transitions: A re-examination using data over three generations
by Maurin, Eric
- 333-362 Comparing the efficiency of alternative policies for reducing traffic congestion
by Parry, I. W. H.
- 363-384 Taxing average emissions to overcome the shutdown problem
by Liski, Matti
- 385-407 Imperfect observability of emissions and second-best emission and output taxes
by Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz
- 409-434 Combining price and quantity controls to mitigate global climate change
by Pizer, William A.
- 435-454 Prices versus quantities with incomplete enforcement
by Montero, Juan-Pablo
2002, Volume 85, Issue 2
- 149-166 Discounting an uncertain future
by Gollier, Christian
- 167-190 Tax burden and migration: a political economy theory and evidence
by Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim & Swagel, Phillip
- 191-205 Delegation effects in representative democracies: do they foster extremism?
by Laussel, Didier
- 207-234 Who trusts others?
by Alesina, Alberto & La Ferrara, Eliana
- 235-273 Inequality and group participation: theory and evidence from rural Tanzania
by La Ferrara, Eliana
- 275-299 Social ties in a public good experiment
by van Dijk, Frans & Sonnemans, Joep & van Winden, Frans
2002, Volume 85, Issue 1
- 1-31 Do R&D tax credits work? Evidence from a panel of countries 1979-1997
by Bloom, Nick & Griffith, Rachel & Van Reenen, John
- 33-52 The effect of tax-based savings incentives on the self-employed
by Power, Laura & Rider, Mark
- 53-97 Optimal labour taxation and search
by Boone, Jan & Bovenberg, Lans
- 99-120 Consumer response to the Reagan tax cuts
by Souleles, Nicholas S.
- 121-148 Participation and investment decisions in a retirement plan: the influence of colleagues' choices
by Duflo, Esther & Saez, Emmanuel
2002, Volume 84, Issue 3
- 305-339 The effect of tax subsidies to employer-provided supplementary health insurance: evidence from Canada
by Finkelstein, Amy
- 341-356 Rotten parents
by Baland, Jean-Marie & Robinson, James A.
- 357-385 Delays in claiming social security benefits
by Coile, Courtney & Diamond, Peter & Gruber, Jonathan & Jousten, Alain
- 387-425 Working time regulation in a search economy with worker moral hazard
by Rocheteau, Guillaume
- 427-456 Exogenous targeting instruments as a solution to group moral hazards
by Spraggon, John
2002, Volume 84, Issue 2
- 151-151 ISPE Special Issue Introduction
by Cutler, David & Marchand, Maurice
- 153-173 Setting health plan premiums to ensure efficient quality in health care: minimum variance optimal risk adjustment
by Glazer, Jacob & McGuire, Thomas G.
- 175-197 Malpractice law and health care reform: optimal liability policy in an era of managed care
by Kessler, Daniel & McClellan, Mark
- 199-218 Quality and outside capacity in the provision of health services
by Bos, Dieter & De Fraja, Gianni
- 219-249 Cost sharing in health service provision: an empirical assessment of cost savings
by Chalkley, Martin & Malcomson, James M.
- 251-278 Equilibrium in competitive insurance markets with ex ante adverse selection and ex post moral hazard
by Jack, William
- 279-303 Financial crisis, health outcomes and ageing: Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s
by Cutler, David M. & Knaul, Felicia & Lozano, Rafael & Mendez, Oscar & Zurita, Beatriz
2002, Volume 84, Issue 1
- 1-32 The elasticity of taxable income: evidence and implications
by Gruber, Jon & Saez, Emmanuel
- 33-46 Flat rate taxes and inequality measurement
by Davies, James B. & Hoy, Michael
- 47-74 The determinants of capital gains tax compliance: evidence from the RJR Nabisco leveraged buyout
by Landsman, Wayne R. & Shackelford, Douglas A. & Yetman, Robert J.
- 75-90 Taxing family size and subsidizing child-specific commodities?
by Cigno, Alessandro & Pettini, Anna
- 91-112 The optimal elasticity of taxable income
by Slemrod, Joel & Kopczuk, Wojciech
- 113-150 Education, distributive justice, and adverse selection
by Fleurbaey, Marc & Gary-Bobo, Robert J. & Maguain, Denis
2002, Volume 83, Issue 3
- 307-324 Privatization benefits in Eastern Europe
by Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon
- 325-345 Decentralization and corruption: evidence across countries
by Fisman, Raymond & Gatti, Roberta
- 347-374 Are national pension systems efficient if labor is (im)perfectly mobile?
by Breyer, Friedrich & Kolmar, Martin
- 375-404 Do local officials know something we don't? Decentralization of targeted transfers in Albania
by Alderman, Harold
- 405-428 Public infrastructure investments, productivity and welfare in fixed geographic areas
by Haughwout, Andrew F.
- 429-456 Integration, agglomeration and the political economics of factor mobility
by Ottaviano, Gianmarco I. P. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois
2002, Volume 83, Issue 2
- 153-171 The approximation of efficient public good mechanisms by simple voting schemes
by Ledyard, John O. & Palfrey, Thomas R.
- 173-194 The incidence of income tax on wages and labour supply
by Bingley, Paul & Lanot, Gauthier
- 195-215 Tax-exempt investors and the asset allocation puzzle
by Mintz, Jack & Smart, Michael
- 217-230 The desirability of commodity taxation under non-linear income taxation and heterogeneous tastes
by Saez, Emmanuel
- 231-254 Collusion-proof yardstick competition
by Tangeras, Thomas P.
- 255-276 Private costs and public benefits: unraveling the effects of altruism and noisy behavior
by Goeree, Jacob K. & Holt, Charles A. & Laury, Susan K.
- 277-291 Free riding and the provision of candy bars
by Haan, Marco & Kooreman, Peter
- 293-305 Non-paternalistic altruism and welfare economics
by Flores, Nicholas E.
2002, Volume 83, Issue 1
- 1-48 Ability tracking, school competition, and the distribution of educational benefits
by Epple, Dennis & Newlon, Elizabeth & Romano, Richard
- 49-82 School finance reform, the distribution of school spending, and the distribution of student test scores
by Card, David & Payne, A. Abigail
- 83-107 Individual preferences for political redistribution
by Corneo, Giacomo & Gruner, Hans Peter
- 109-152 Rent vouchers and the price of low-income housing
by Susin, Scott
2001, Volume 82, Issue 3
- 309-325 Legislative organization and government spending: cross-country evidence
by Bradbury, John Charles & Crain, W. Mark
- 327-347 Catching the agent on the wrong foot: ex post choice of monitoring
by Khalil, Fahad & Lawarree, Jacques
- 349-375 Inefficient equilibria in lobbying
by Kirchsteiger, Georg & Prat, Andrea
- 377-397 Can by-product lobbying firms compete?
by Pecorino, Paul
- 399-414 Privatization, public investment, and capital income taxation
by Huizinga, Harry & Nielsen, Soren Bo
- 415-429 Bidding for a group-specific public-good prize
by Baik, Kyung Hwan & Kim, In-Gyu & Na, Sunghyun
- 431-443 The taking of land: market value compensation should be paid
by Nosal, Ed
- 445-460 Ex ante free mobility, ex post immobility, and time consistency in a federal system
by Mitsui, Kiyoshi & Sato, Motohiro
2001, Volume 82, Issue 2
- 147-194 Government decision-making and the incidence of federal mandates
by Baicker, Katherine
- 195-224 Do taxes affect corporate debt policy? Evidence from U.S. corporate tax return data
by Gordon, Roger H. & Lee, Young
- 225-246 Social preferences, self-interest, and the demand for redistribution
by Fong, Christina
- 247-270 Bank failures and fiscal austerity: policy prescriptions for a developing country
by Ball, Sheryl & Feltenstein, Andrew
- 271-299 The optimal income tax when poverty is a public 'bad'
by Wane, Waly
- 301-308 Population ethics and the existence of value functions
by Blackorby, Charles & Bossert, Walter & Donaldson, David
2001, Volume 82, Issue 1
- 1-28 How effective is redistribution under the social security benefit formula?
by Gustman, Alan L. & Steinmeier, Thomas L.
- 29-62 Private pensions, mortality risk, and the decision to annuitize
by Brown, Jeffrey R.
- 63-89 Public health insurance and medical treatment: the equalizing impact of the Medicaid expansions
by Currie, Janet & Gruber, Jonathan
- 91-114 Taxes and quotas for a stock pollutant with multiplicative uncertainty
by Hoel, Michael & Karp, Larry
- 115-146 The impact of differential payroll tax subsidies on minimum wage employment
by Kramarz, Francis & Philippon, Thomas
2001, Volume 81, Issue 3
- 345-368 Early childhood nutrition and academic achievement: a longitudinal analysis
by Glewwe, Paul & Jacoby, Hanan G. & King, Elizabeth M.
- 369-391 Does favorable tax-treatment of housing reduce non-housing investment?
by Broadbent, Ben & Kremer, Michael
- 393-421 Information aggregation in debate: who should speak first?
by Ottaviani, Marco & Sorensen, Peter
- 423-447 Why charities announce donations: a positive perspective
by Romano, Richard & Yildirim, Huseyin
- 449-472 Education spending in an aging America
by Harris, Amy Rehder & Evans, William N. & Schwab, Robert M.
- 473-511 The role of economic incentives in teenage nonmarital childbearing choices
by Wolfe, Barbara & Wilson, Kathryn & Haveman, Robert
2001, Volume 81, Issue 2
- 173-192 Tax incidence in differentiated product oligopoly
by Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Kreider, Brent
- 193-212 Optimal income tax in the presence of status effects
by Ireland, N. J.
- 213-229 Bequest taxes and capital gains realizations
by Auten, Gerald & Joulfaian, David
- 231-251 The efficiency of indirect taxes under imperfect competition
by Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Kreider, Brent
- 253-277 Strategic tax competition; implications of national ownership
by Olsen, Trond E. & Osmundsen, Petter
- 279-319 Tax competition and tax co-ordination under destination and origin principles: a synthesis
by Lockwood, Ben
- 321-343 Tax increment financing: a theoretical inquiry
by Brueckner, Jan K.
2001, Volume 81, Issue 1
- 1-24 Corruption and optimal law enforcement
by Polinsky, A. Mitchell & Shavell, Steven
- 25-50 Searching for ghosts: who are the nonfilers and how much tax do they owe?
by Erard, Brian & Ho, Chih-Chin
- 51-71 Redistribution when avoidance behavior is heterogeneous
by Kopczuk, Wojciech
- 73-81 Tax evasion and self-insurance
by Lee, Kangoh
- 83-98 Plea bargaining with the IRS: extensions and further results
by Glen Ueng, K. L. & Yang, C. C.
- 99-115 Not-for-profit entrepreneurs
by Glaeser, Edward L. & Shleifer, Andrei
- 117-151 Self-enforcing reciprocity norms and intergenerational transfers: theory and evidence
by Guttman, Joel M.
- 153-172 A dynamic conjectural variations model in the private provision of public goods: a differential game approach
by Itaya, Jun-ichi & Shimomura, Koji
2001, Volume 80, Issue 3
- 341-356 The effect of marginal tax rates on taxable income: a panel study of the 1988 tax flattening in Canada
by Sillamaa, Mary-Anne & Veall, Michael R.
- 357-383 Does the welfare state induce risk-taking?
by Bird, Edward J.
- 385-408 Price competition when consumer behavior is characterized by conformity or vanity
by Grilo, Isabel & Shy, Oz & Thisse, Jacques-Francois
- 409-434 Labour supply, search and taxes
by Manning, Alan
- 435-465 Education and saving:: The long-term effects of high school financial curriculum mandates
by Bernheim, B. Douglas & Garrett, Daniel M. & Maki, Dean M.
- 467-484 Information and IRA participation: the influence of tax preparers
by Hrung, Warren B.
- 485-507 Mortality decline and long-run economic growth
by Zhang, Junsen & Zhang, Jie & Lee, Ronald
2001, Volume 80, Issue 2
- 169-197 Second-best taxation of emissions and polluting goods
by Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz
- 199-224 Strategic state-level environmental policy with asymmetric pollution spillovers
by Santore, Rudy & Robison, H. David & Klein, Yehuda
- 225-247 Estimating the effects of school finance reform: a framework for a federalist system
by Loeb, Susanna
- 249-267 Environmental controls, scarcity rents, and pre-existing distortions
by Fullerton, Don & Metcalf, Gilbert E.
- 269-286 The simple analytics of the environmental Kuznets curve
by Andreoni, James & Levinson, Arik
- 287-311 Property tax limits, local fiscal behavior, and property values: evidence from Massachusetts under Proposition
by Bradbury, Katharine L. & Mayer, Christopher J. & Case, Karl E.
- 313-337 Local public goods, debt and migration
by Schultz, Christian & Sjostrom, Tomas
- 339-339 Erratum to "Welfare-consistent inequality indices in changing populations:: The marginal population replication axiom A note" [Journal of Public Economics 67 (1997) 145-150]
by Salas, Rafael
2001, Volume 80, Issue 1
- 1-23 Unemployment insurance benefit levels and consumption changes
by Browning, Martin & Crossley, Thomas F.
- 25-48 Controlling selection incentives when health insurance contracts are endogenous
by Jack, William
- 49-71 Tax limits and the qualifications of new teachers
by Figlio, David N. & Rueben, Kim S.
- 73-98 Rules transparency and political accountability
by Bordignon, Massimo & Minelli, Enrico
- 99-119 When is two better than one? How federalism mitigates and intensifies imperfect political competition
by Caplan, Bryan
- 121-140 Economic conditions, elections, and the magnitude of foreign conflicts
by Hess, Gregory D. & Orphanides, Athanasios
- 141-167 Government credibility and policy choice: evidence from the Pennsylvania earned income tax
by Strumpf, Koleman S.
2001, Volume 79, Issue 3
- 429-453 The taxation of domestic and foreign banking
by Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry
- 455-483 Taxpayer response to an increased probability of audit: evidence from a controlled experiment in Minnesota
by Slemrod, Joel & Blumenthal, Marsha & Christian, Charles
- 485-501 On optimal non-linear taxation and public good provision in an overlapping generations economy
by Pirttila, Jukka & Tuomala, Matti
- 503-519 Privacy and time-consistent optimal labor income taxation
by Konrad, Kai A.
- 521-541 Job additionality and deadweight spending in perfectly competitive industries: the case for optimal employment subsidies
by Picard, Pierre M.
- 543-568 Tax reform evaluation using non-parametric methods: Sweden 1980-1991
by Blomquist, Soren & Eklof, Matias & Newey, Whitney
- 569-596 The share price effects of dividend taxes and tax imputation credits
by Harris, Trevor S. & Hubbard, R. Glenn & Kemsley, Deen
2001, Volume 79, Issue 2
- 265-295 Environmental regulation and labor demand: evidence from the South Coast Air Basin
by Berman, Eli & Bui, Linda T. M.
- 297-313 Strategic pigouvian taxation, stock externalities and polluting non-renewable resources
by Rubio, Santiago J. & Escriche, Luisa
- 315-341 Sustainability and the intergenerational distribution of natural resource entitlements
by Gerlagh, Reyer & Keyzer, Michiel A.
- 343-363 Marginal tax reform, externalities and income distribution
by Mayeres, Inge & Proost, Stef
- 365-374 Asymmetric information, option to wait to invest and the optimal level of investment
by Lensink, Robert & Sterken, Elmer
- 375-398 Do doctors respond to financial incentives? UK family doctors and the GP fundholder scheme
by Croxson, B. & Propper, C. & Perkins, A.
- 399-427 Cooperation and noise in public goods experiments: applying the contribution function approach
by Brandts, Jordi & Schram, Arthur
2001, Volume 79, Issue 1
- 3-33 Taxation and wealth transmission in France
by Arrondel, Luc & Laferrere, Anne
- 35-53 Non-linear taxation of bequests, equal sharing rules and the tradeoff between intra- and inter-family inequalities
by Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre
- 55-69 Capital income taxation, wealth distribution and borrowing constraints
by Chamley, Christophe
- 71-91 Labor and capital income taxation, fiscal competition, and the distribution of wealth
by Fuest, Clemens & Huber, Bernd
- 93-128 Simulating the transmission of wealth inequality via bequests
by Gokhale, Jagadeesh & Kotlikoff, Laurence J. & Sefton, James & Weale, Martin
- 129-148 Wealth taxation and economic growth
by Ihori, Toshihiro
- 149-177 Life-cycle modeling of bequests and their impact on annuity valuation
by Jousten, Alain
- 179-204 The cost of equality: unequal bequests and tax avoidance
by McGarry, Kathleen
- 205-236 Bequest motives: a comparison of Sweden and the United States
by Laitner, John & Ohlsson, Henry
- 237-264 Estate and gift taxes and incentives for inter vivos giving in the US
by Poterba, James
2000, Volume 78, Issue 3
- 215-234 Does credit rationing imply insufficient lending?
by de Meza, David & Webb, David
- 235-252 The value of genetic information in the life insurance market
by Hoy, Michael & Polborn, Mattias
- 253-274 Competing for capital in a 'lumpy' world
by Kind, Hans Jarle & Knarvik, Karen Helene Midelfart & Schjelderup, Guttorm
- 275-299 'Public service motivation' as an argument for government provision
by Francois, Patrick
- 301-324 Public policy and health insurance choices of the elderly: evidence from the medicare buy-in program
by Yelowitz, Aaron S.
2000, Volume 78, Issue 1-2
- 3-24 Tax arbitrage and labor supply
by Agell, Jonas & Persson, Mats
- 25-49 Incentive effects of social security on labor force participation: evidence in Germany and across Europe
by Borsch-Supan, Axel
- 51-80 Welfare for the elderly: the effects of SSI on pre-retirement labor supply
by Neumark, David & Powers, Elizabeth
- 81-106 The effects of the unemployment insurance payroll tax on wages, employment, claims and denials
by Anderson, Patricia M. & Meyer, Bruce D.
- 107-138 Extended benefits and the duration of UI spells: evidence from the New Jersey extended benefit program
by Card, David & Levine, Phillip B.
- 139-170 Supply side hysteresis: the case of the Canadian unemployment insurance system
by Lemieux, Thomas & MacLeod, W. Bentley
- 171-192 Why do governments subsidise investment and not employment?
by Fuest, Clemens & Huber, Bernd
- 193-214 Tax reform and the Dutch labor market: an applied general equilibrium approach
by Bovenberg, A. Lans & Graafland, Johan J. & de Mooij, Ruud A.
2000, Volume 77, Issue 3
- 307-330 Fiscal effects of foreign aid in a federal system of governance: The case of India
by Swaroop, Vinaya & Jha, Shikha & Sunil Rajkumar, Andrew
- 331-356 Politics, growth, and inequality in rural China: does it pay to join the Party?
by Morduch, Jonathan & Sicular, Terry
- 357-382 Privatisation and market structure in a transition economy
by Bennett, John & Maw, James
- 383-406 Endogenous markups and the effects of income taxation:: Theory and evidence from OECD countries
by Wu, Yangru & Zhang, Junxi
2000, Volume 77, Issue 2
- 155-184 Does parents' money matter?
by Shea, John
- 185-207 College tuition and household savings and consumption
by Souleles, Nicholas S.
- 209-232 The effect of educational attainment on welfare dependence: Evidence from Canada
by Barrett, Garry F.
- 233-239 Compulsory savings in the welfare state
by Homburg, Stefan
- 241-263 The effects of new public projects to expand urban rail transit
by Baum-Snow, Nathaniel & Kahn, Matthew E.
- 265-284 Pure public goods and income redistribution in a federation with decentralized leadership and imperfect labor mobility
by Caplan, Arthur J. & Cornes, Richard C. & Silva, Emilson C. D.
- 285-306 A Tiebout/tax-competition model
by Brueckner, Jan K.
2000, Volume 77, Issue 1
- 1-28 Consumption vs. income taxes when private human capital investments are imperfectly observable
by Davies, James B. & Zeng, Jinli & Zhang, Jie
- 29-44 The compliance costs of collecting direct tax in the UK:: An analysis of PAYE and National Insurance
by Hudson, John & Godwin, Michael
- 45-79 Can waste improve welfare?
by Pelloni, Alessandra & Waldmann, Robert
- 81-95 Endogenous authoritarian property rights
by Teng, Jimmy
- 97-133 Urban unemployment, agglomeration and transportation policies
by Zenou, Yves
- 135-153 Should unemployment benefits decrease with the unemployment spell?
by Cahuc, Pierre & Lehmann, Etienne
2000, Volume 76, Issue 3
- 309-335 Does voluntary participation undermine the Coase Theorem?
by Dixit, Avinash & Olson, Mancur
- 337-368 Incentives to provide local public goods: fiscal federalism, Russian style
by Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina V.
- 369-397 Tax rights in transition economies: a tragedy of the commons?
by Berkowitz, Daniel & Li, Wei
- 399-457 The causes of corruption: a cross-national study
by Treisman, Daniel
- 459-493 Dodging the grabbing hand: the determinants of unofficial activity in 69 countries
by Friedman, Eric & Johnson, Simon & Kaufmann, Daniel & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo
- 495-520 Why do firms hide? Bribes and unofficial activity after communism
by Johnson, Simon & Kaufmann, Daniel & McMillan, John & Woodruff, Christopher
- 521-558 The tyranny of inequality
by Rajan, Raghuram G. & Zingales, Luigi
- 559-581 Political ownership
by Bennedsen, Morten
2000, Volume 76, Issue 2
- 151-180 When do distortionary taxes reduce the optimal supply of public goods?
by Gaube, Thomas
- 181-202 Creating countervailing incentives through the choice of instruments
by Bontems, Philippe & Bourgeon, Jean-Marc
- 203-238 Polling mechanisms and the demand revelation problem
by Gary-Bobo, Robert J. & Jaaidane, Touria
- 239-261 Implementation of balanced linear cost share equilibrium solution in Nash and strong Nash equilibria
by Tian, Guoqiang
- 263-294 Death and dignity: Terminal illness and the market for non-treatment
by Byrne, Margaret M. & Thompson, Peter
- 295-306 Credibility may require discretion, not rules
by Cowen, Tyler & Glazer, Amihai & Zajc, Katarina
2000, Volume 76, Issue 1
- 1-39 Welfare and optimum dynamic taxation of consumption and income
by ColemanII, Wilbur John
- 41-67 Supermajority voting requirements for tax increases: evidence from the states
by Knight, Brian G.
- 69-85 Capitalization of capital gains taxes: evidence from stock price reactions to the 1997 rate reduction
by Lang, Mark H. & Shackelford, Douglas A.
- 87-104 Who wants to redistribute?: The tunnel effect in 1990s Russia
by Ravallion, Martin & Lokshin, Michael
- 105-125 Debts and deficits with fragmented fiscal policymaking
by Velasco, Andres
- 127-150 Optimal two-part tariffs in a model of discrete choice
by De Borger, Bruno
2000, Volume 75, Issue 3
- 313-313 Editorial
by Author, A.
- 315-340 Political uncertainty and the earmarking of environmental taxes
by Brett, Craig & Keen, Michael
- 341-364 Political sustainability and the design of social insurance
by Casamatta, Georges & Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre
- 365-387 Why are tax expenditures for giving embodied in fiscal constitutions?
by Scharf, Kimberley Ann
- 389-416 The political feasibility of pension reform options: the case of Switzerland
by Butler, Monika
- 417-438 Tax price effects on attitudes to hypothecated tax increases
by Hall, John & Preston, Ian
- 439-462 Earmarked taxation: welfare versus political support
by Bos, Dieter