Journal of Public Economics
August 2007, Volume 91, Issue 7-8
- 1479-1505 Taxes and entrepreneurial risk-taking: Theory and evidence for the U.S
by Cullen, Julie Berry & Gordon, Roger H.
- 1507-1517 Taxation of uncertain business profits, private risk markets and optimal allocation of risk
by Hagen, Kare P. & Sannarnes, Jan Gaute
- 1519-1531 Taxation, insurance, and precautionary labor
by Netzer, Nick & Scheuer, Florian
- 1533-1554 Company tax reform with a water's edge
by Riedel, Nadine & Runkel, Marco
- 1555-1564 A case for taxing charitable donations
by Blumkin, Tomer & Sadka, Efraim
- 1565-1573 Optimum commodity taxation in pooling equilibria
by Sheshinski, Eytan
- 1575-1590 Efficient black markets?
by Davidson, Carl & Martin, Lawrence & Wilson, John Douglas
- 1591-1624 Are bid preferences benign? The effect of small business subsidies in highway procurement auctions
by Marion, Justin
- 1625-1642 Socially optimal procurement with tight budgets and rationing
by Anthon, Signe & Bogetoft, Peter & Thorsen, Bo Jellesmark
June 2007, Volume 91, Issue 5-6
- 823-848 Charter school quality and parental decision making with school choice
by Hanushek, Eric A. & Kain, John F. & Rivkin, Steven G. & Branch, Gregory F.
- 849-876 The impact of charter school attendance on student performance
by Booker, Kevin & Gilpatric, Scott M. & Gronberg, Timothy & Jansen, Dennis
- 877-899 Cohort crowding: How resources affect collegiate attainment
by Bound, John & Turner, Sarah
- 901-914 Individual teacher incentives and student performance
by Figlio, David N. & Kenny, Lawrence W.
- 915-937 The effect of randomized school admissions on voter participation
by Hastings, Justine S. & Kane, Thomas J. & Staiger, Douglas O. & Weinstein, Jeffrey M.
- 939-962 Corruption and inefficiency: Theory and evidence from electric utilities
by Dal Bo, Ernesto & Rossi, Martin A.
- 963-991 Public sector pay and corruption: Measuring bribery from micro data
by Gorodnichenko, Yuriy & Sabirianova Peter, Klara
- 993-1021 Inefficient lobbying, populism and oligarchy
by Campante, Filipe R. & Ferreira, Francisco H.G.
- 1023-1042 Leading by example with and without exclusion power in voluntary contribution experiments
by Guth, Werner & Levati, M. Vittoria & Sutter, Matthias & van der Heijden, Eline
- 1043-1069 Faith-based charity and crowd-out during the great depression
by Gruber, Jonathan & Hungerman, Daniel M.
- 1071-1094 Should governments stop subsidies to private goods? Evidence from rural Latin America
by Lopez, Ramon & Galinato, Gregmar I.
- 1095-1118 Can private giving promote economic segregation?
by Horstmann, Ignatius J. & Scharf, Kimberley & Slivinski, Al
- 1119-1133 Health insurance market reform and employee compensation: The case of pure community rating in New York
by Adams, Scott
- 1135-1150 Assortative marriage and the effects of government homecare subsidy programs on gender wage and participation inequality
by Bjerk, David & Han, Seungjin
- 1151-1166 Belief flipping in a dynamic model of statistical discrimination
by Fryer, Roland Jr.
- 1167-1176 Anti-discrimination rules versus income taxation in the pursuit of horizontal equity
by Blumkin, Tomer & Margalioth, Yoram & Sadka, Efraim
- 1177-1196 Sharing budgetary austerity under free mobility and asymmetric information: An optimal regulation approach to fiscal federalism
by Breuille, Marie-Laure & Gary-Bobo, Robert J.
- 1197-1218 Decentralization and the productive efficiency of government: Evidence from Swiss cantons
by Barankay, Iwan & Lockwood, Ben
- 1219-1229 Who pays sales taxes? Evidence from French VAT reforms, 1987-1999
by Carbonnier, Clement
April 2007, Volume 91, Issue 3-4
- 413-435 Firm location decisions, regional grants and agglomeration externalities
by Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel & Simpson, Helen
- 437-450 Welfare-induced migration at state borders: New evidence from micro-data
by McKinnish, Terra
- 451-479 Horizontal and vertical indirect tax competition: Theory and some evidence from the USA
by Devereux, M.P. & Lockwood, B. & Redoano, M.
- 481-496 Ex-post redistribution in a federation: Implications for corrective policy
by Kothenburger, Marko
- 497-509 A theory of user-fee competition
by Fuest, Clemens & Kolmar, Martin
- 511-540 The provision and pricing of excludable public goods: Ramsey-Boiteux pricing versus bundling
by Hellwig, Martin F.
- 541-569 Managing the quality of a resource with stock and flow controls
by Keohane, Nathaniel & Van Roy, Benjamin & Zeckhauser, Richard
- 571-591 The general equilibrium incidence of environmental taxes
by Fullerton, Don & Heutel, Garth
- 593-617 Optimal taxation and cross-price effects on labor supply: Estimates of the optimal gas tax
by West, Sarah E. & Williams III, Roberton C.
- 619-639 Pension design when fertility fluctuates: The role of education and capital mobility
by Zamac, Jovan
- 641-667 Risk management of pensions from the perspective of loss aversion
by Binswanger, Johannes
- 669-700 New evidence on earnings and benefit claims following changes in the retirement earnings test in 2000
by Song, Jae G. & Manchester, Joyce
- 701-722 Risk-return preferences in the pension domain: Are people able to choose?
by van Rooij, Maarten C.J. & Kool, Clemens J.M. & Prast, Henriette M.
- 723-754 Political contribution caps and lobby formation: Theory and evidence
by Drazen, Allan & Limao, Nuno & Stratmann, Thomas
- 755-773 Fiscal restraints and voter welfare
by Besley, Timothy & Smart, Michael
- 775-789 Factor income taxation and growth under asymmetric information
by Ho, Wai-Hong & Wang, Yong
- 791-816 The undesirability of randomized income taxation under decreasing risk aversion
by Hellwig, Martin F.
- 817-822 Unit versus ad valorem taxes: Monopoly in general equilibrium
by Blackorby, Charles & Murty, Sushama
February 2007, Volume 91, Issue 1-2
- 1-24 Schelling's spatial proximity model of segregation revisited
by Pancs, Romans & Vriend, Nicolaas J.
- 25-49 On the political economy of zoning
by Calabrese, Stephen & Epple, Dennis & Romano, Richard
- 51-76 Fractionalization and the size of government
by Lind, Jo Thori
- 77-96 Blame-game politics in a coalition government
by Dellis, Arnaud
- 97-116 The impact of social mobility and within-family learning on voter preferences: Evidence from a sample of twins
by Krashinsky, Harry
- 117-140 Government accountability and fiscal discipline: A panel analysis using Swiss data
by Schaltegger, Christoph A. & Torgler, Benno
- 141-157 Demand and distance: Evidence on cross-border shopping
by Asplund, Marcus & Friberg, Richard & Wilander, Fredrik
- 159-179 Inequality and informality
by Chong, Alberto & Gradstein, Mark
- 181-201 COPS and crime
by Evans, William N. & Owens, Emily G.
- 203-233 Strong and weak ties in employment and crime
by Calvo-Armengol, Antoni & Verdier, Thierry & Zenou, Yves
- 235-258 Point-record driving licence and road safety: An economic approach
by Bourgeon, Jean-Marc & Picard, Pierre
- 259-279 Insuring consumption and happiness through religious organizations
by Dehejia, Rajeev & DeLeire, Thomas & Luttmer, Erzo F.P.
- 281-304 Can't buy me love? Subsidizing the care of related children
by Doyle, Joseph J.
- 305-326 The integration of child tax credits and welfare: Evidence from the Canadian National Child Benefit program
by Milligan, Kevin & Stabile, Mark
- 327-341 Measurement error in models of welfare participation
by Hernandez, Monica & Pudney, Stephen
- 343-363 Patience among children
by Bettinger, Eric & Slonim, Robert
- 365-385 Is the household demand for in-home services sensitive to tax reductions? The French case
by Flipo, Anne & Fougere, Denis & Olier, Lucile
- 387-387 Erratum to "Are policy platforms capitalized into equity prices? Evidence from the Bush/Gore 2000 Presidential Election" [J. Public Econ. 90 (4-5) (2006) 751-773]
by Knight, Brian
- 389-409 Are policy platforms capitalized into equity prices? Evidence from the Bush/Gore 2000 Presidential Election
by Knight*, Brian
December 2006, Volume 90, Issue 12
- 2161-2186 Europe vs America: Institutional hysteresis in a simple normative model
by Di Tella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert
- 2187-2212 Retirement expectations, pension reforms, and their impact on private wealth accumulation
by Bottazzi, Renata & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario
- 2213-2227 The choice to cash out pension rights at job change or retirement
by Hurd, Michael & Panis, Constantijn
- 2229-2255 How well do children insure parents against low retirement income? An analysis using survey data from urban China
by Cai, Fang & Giles, John & Meng, Xin
- 2257-2283 Are stocks desirable in tax-deferred accounts?
by Garlappi, Lorenzo & Huang, Jennifer
- 2285-2301 Employee cost-sharing and the welfare effects of flexible spending accounts
by Jack, William & Levinson, Arik & Rahardja, Sjamsu
- 2303-2321 Pensions with endogenous and stochastic fertility
by Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz & Pestieau, Pierre
- 2323-2349 Life expectancy, human capital, social security and growth
by Echevarria, Cruz A. & Iza, Amaia
- 2351-2356 Consumption smoothing and the welfare consequences of social insurance in developing economies
by Chetty, Raj & Looney, Adam
November 2006, Volume 90, Issue 10-11
- 1765-1787 Is commodity taxation unfair?
by Fleurbaey, Marc
- 1789-1823 Redistribution and affirmative action
by Austen-Smith, David & Wallerstein, Michael
- 1825-1849 Optimal sin taxes
by O'Donoghue, Ted & Rabin, Matthew
- 1851-1878 Optimal taxation with consumption time as a leisure or labor substitute
by Boadway, Robin & Gahvari, Firouz
- 1879-1901 A general formula for the optimal level of social insurance
by Chetty, Raj
- 1903-1922 Measuring tax efficiency: A tax optimality index
by Raimondos-Moller, Pascalis & Woodland, Alan D.
- 1923-1937 S-based taxation under default risk
by Panteghini, Paolo M.
- 1939-1954 The corporation as a tax shelter: Evidence from recent Israeli tax changes
by Romanov, Dmitri
- 1955-1973 The marginal cost of public funds: Hours of work versus labor force participation
by Kleven, Henrik Jacobsen & Kreiner, Claus Thustrup
- 1975-1993 The estate tax and the demise of the family business
by Brunetti, Michael J.
- 1995-2008 Bequests as signals: Implications for fiscal policy
by Severinov, Sergei
- 2009-2026 Ricardian equivalence under imperfect information
by Pozzi, Lorenzo
- 2027-2062 Vertical versus horizontal tax externalities: An empirical test
by Brulhart, Marius & Jametti, Mario
- 2063-2090 On enhanced cooperation
by Bordignon, Massimo & Brusco, Sandro
- 2091-2106 An equilibrium voting model of federal standards with externalities
by Cremer, Jacques & Palfrey, Thomas R.
- 2107-2120 Fiscal federalism and economic growth
by Brueckner, Jan K.
- 2121-2142 Which border taxes? Origin and destination regimes with fiscal competition in output and emission taxes
by Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz
- 2143-2160 Building and managing facilities for public services
by Bennett, John & Iossa, Elisabetta
September 2006, Volume 90, Issue 8-9
- 1367-1389 Political budget cycles: Do they differ across countries and why?
by Shi, Min & Svensson, Jakob
- 1391-1414 The elusive costs and the immaterial gains of fiscal constraints
by Canova, Fabio & Pappa, Evi
- 1415-1433 Dynamic scoring: A back-of-the-envelope guide
by Mankiw, N. Gregory & Weinzierl, Matthew
- 1435-1454 What can be learned about peer effects using college roommates? Evidence from new survey data and students from disadvantaged backgrounds
by Stinebrickner, Ralph & Stinebrickner, Todd R.
- 1455-1475 It's not your peers, and it's not your friends: Some progress toward understanding the educational peer effect mechanism
by Foster, Gigi
- 1477-1503 The effects of generalized school choice on achievement and stratification: Evidence from Chile's voucher program
by Hsieh, Chang-Tai & Urquiola, Miguel
- 1505-1518 The existence of non-elite private schools
by Martinez-Mora, Francisco
- 1519-1535 The effect of state education finance reform on total local resources
by Baicker, Katherine & Gordon, Nora
- 1537-1560 Public health investments and the infant mortality gap: Evidence from federal sanitation interventions on U.S. Indian reservations
by Watson, Tara
- 1561-1577 Health insurance and labor market outcomes: Joint decision-making within households
by Royalty, Anne Beeson & Abraham, Jean M.
- 1579-1600 Liquidity constraints and housing prices: Theory and evidence from the VA Mortgage Program
by Vigdor, Jacob L.
- 1601-1623 The impact of mortgage interest-rate subsidies on household borrowing
by Martins, Nuno C. & Villanueva, Ernesto
- 1625-1648 Using experimental economics to measure the effects of a natural educational experiment on altruism
by Bettinger, Eric & Slonim, Robert
- 1649-1667 Altruism and charitable giving in a fully replicated economy
by Gaube, Thomas
- 1669-1680 Tax avoidance and intra-family transfers
by Nordblom, Katarina & Ohlsson, Henry
- 1681-1698 The nonprofit sector and industry performance
by Lakdawalla, Darius & Philipson, Tomas
- 1699-1723 Public policy and the creation of active venture capital markets
by Da Rin, Marco & Nicodano, Giovanna & Sembenelli, Alessandro
- 1725-1743 The progressivity of equalization payments in federations
by Gravel, Nicolas & Poitevin, Michel
- 1745-1763 Tiebout equilibria in local public good economies with spillovers
by Bloch, Francis & Zenginobuz, E. Unal
August 2006, Volume 90, Issue 6-7
- 959-981 Local public good provision: Voting, peer effects, and mobility
by Calabrese, Stephen & Epple, Dennis & Romer, Thomas & Sieg, Holger
- 983-1005 The political economy of urban transport-system choice
by Brueckner, Jan K. & Selod, Harris
- 1007-1025 Tax incidence, majority voting and capital market integration
by Lockwood, Ben & Makris, Miltiadis
- 1027-1052 Racism and redistribution in the United States: A solution to the problem of American exceptionalism
by Lee, Woojin & Roemer, John E.
- 1053-1072 Corruption in America
by Glaeser, Edward L. & Saks, Raven E.
- 1073-1114 Primaries and the New Hampshire Effect
by Klumpp, Tilman & Polborn, Mattias K.
- 1115-1132 The dynamics of municipal fiscal adjustment
by Buettner, Thiess & Wildasin, David E.
- 1133-1153 Contribution to productivity or pork barrel? The two faces of infrastructure investment
by Cadot, Olivier & Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Stephan, Andreas
- 1155-1179 Universal service obligations in LDCs: The effect of uniform pricing on infrastructure access
by Estache, Antonio & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Zhang, Xinzhu
- 1181-1199 Discrete public goods under threshold uncertainty
by McBride, Michael
- 1201-1213 Optimal indirect taxation with a restricted number of tax rates
by Belan, Pascal & Gauthier, Stephane
- 1215-1233 Optimal redistributive taxation when government's and agents' preferences differ
by Blomquist, Soren & Micheletto, Luca
- 1235-1250 On the undesirability of commodity taxation even when income taxation is not optimal
by Kaplow, Louis
- 1251-1262 On the marginal cost of public funds and the optimal provision of public goods
by Gahvari, Firouz
- 1263-1280 Growth, revenue, and welfare effects of tariff and tax reform: Win-win-win strategies
by Naito, Takumi
- 1281-1297 Leniency policies and illegal transactions
by Buccirossi, Paolo & Spagnolo, Giancarlo
- 1299-1314 The adequacy of investment choices offered by 401(k) plans
by Elton, Edwin J. & Gruber, Martin J. & Blake, Christopher R.
- 1315-1346 401(k) matching contributions in company stock: Costs and benefits for firms and workers
by Brown, Jeffrey R. & Liang, Nellie & Weisbenner, Scott
- 1347-1363 Economic development and CO2 emissions: A nonparametric panel approach
by Azomahou, Theophile & Laisney, Francois & Nguyen Van, Phu
May 2006, Volume 90, Issue 4-5
- 551-572 Dynamic enfranchisement
by Jack, William & Lagunoff, Roger
- 573-599 Committees with supermajority voting yield commitment with flexibility
by Dal Bo, Ernesto
- 601-629 Markets as beneficial constraints on the government
by Bisin, Alberto & Rampini, Adriano A.
- 631-656 Informational lobbying and political contributions
by Bennedsen, Morten & Feldmann, Sven E.
- 657-678 Auditing and competitive bidding in the public sector
by Fearon, Gervan & Busch, Lutz-Alexander
- 679-701 Earmarked taxation and political competition
by Anesi, Vincent
- 703-723 A positive model of overlapping income taxation in a federation of states
by Klor, Esteban F.
- 725-750 Democrats, republicans, and taxes: Evidence that political parties matter
by Reed, W. Robert
- 751-773 Are policy platforms capitalized into equity prices? Evidence from the Bush/Gore 2000 Presidential Election
by Knight, Brian
- 775-798 Decentralisation of active labour market policy: The case of Swedish local employment service committees
by Lundin, Martin & Skedinger, Per
- 799-822 The incidence of UK housing benefit: Evidence from the 1990s reforms
by Gibbons, Stephen & Manning, Alan
- 823-835 The optimal use of fines and imprisonment when wealth is unobservable
by Polinsky, A. Mitchell
- 837-851 Testing, crime and punishment
by Figlio, David N.
- 853-870 Corruption and the costs of redistribution: Micro evidence from Indonesia
by Olken, Benjamin A.
- 871-895 Private information, Coasian bargaining, and the second welfare theorem
by Brito, Dagobert L. & Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Intriligator, Michael D. & Sheshinski, Eytan & Slutsky, Steven M.
- 897-919 Optimal tax treatment of private contributions for public goods with and without warm glow preferences
by Diamond, Peter
- 921-933 The incidence of a tax on pure rent in a small open economy
by Petrucci, Alberto
- 935-955 Income and wealth heterogeneity in the voluntary provision of linear public goods
by Buckley, Edward & Croson, Rachel
- 957-958 Bergstrom et al. 1986: A correction
by Andrews, Rodney J.
February 2006, Volume 90, Issue 3
- 405-406 TAPES 5-2004 special issue: Editorial introduction
by Gordon, R.
- 407-427 State fiscal institutions and empty-nest migration: Are Tiebout voters hobbled?
by Farnham, Martin & Sevak, Purvi
- 429-458 Income segregation and local progressive taxation: Empirical evidence from Switzerland
by Schmidheiny, Kurt
- 459-475 Performance rating and yardstick competition in social service provision
by Revelli, Federico
- 477-497 The incentive effect of fiscal equalization transfers on tax policy
by Buettner, Thiess
- 499-511 Can regional policy in a federation improve economic efficiency?
by Fuest, Clemens & Huber, Bernd
- 513-531 The demand for tax haven operations
by Desai, Mihir A. & Foley, C. Fritz & Hines, James Jr.
- 533-549 Tax competition with heterogeneous firms
by Burbidge, John & Cuff, Katherine & Leach, John
January 2006, Volume 90, Issue 1-2
- 1-36 Persistent media bias
by Baron, David P.
- 37-58 Media capture in a democracy: The role of wealth concentration
by Corneo, Giacomo
- 59-86 Credible communication in dynastic government
by Lagunoff, Roger
- 87-100 Budget windows, sunsets, and fiscal control
by Auerbach, Alan J.
- 101-117 The macroeconomic effects of fiscal rules in the US states
by Fatas, Antonio & Mihov, Ilian
- 119-141 The Congressional budget process, aggregate spending, and statutory budget rules
by Dharmapala, Dhammika
- 143-169 Equality of opportunity and optimal cash and in-kind policies
by Gasparini, Leonardo C. & Pinto, Santiago M.
- 171-188 Education, redistributive taxation and confidence
by Konrad, Kai A. & Spadaro, Amedeo
- 189-213 Could do better: The effectiveness of incentives and competition in schools
by De Fraja, Gianni & Landeras, Pedro
- 215-237 Games of school choice under the Boston mechanism
by Ergin, Haluk & Sonmez, Tayfun
- 239-255 Do accountability and voucher threats improve low-performing schools?
by Figlio, David N. & Rouse, Cecilia Elena
- 257-276 The incidence of Medicare
by McClellan, Mark & Skinner, Jonathan
- 277-292 Does Medicare benefit the poor?
by Bhattacharya, Jay & Lakdawalla, Darius
- 293-323 Home care reimbursement, long-term care utilization, and health outcomes
by McKnight, Robin
- 325-347 Agglomeration and welfare: The core-periphery model in the light of Bentham, Kaldor, and Rawls
by Charlot, Sylvie & Gaigne, Carl & Robert-Nicoud, Frederic & Thisse, Jacques-Francois
- 349-378 Public capital and imperfect competition
by Coto-Martinez, Javier
- 379-391 The social costs of gun ownership
by Cook, Philip J. & Ludwig, Jens
- 393-402 Union strategy and optimal direct taxation
by Kessing, Sebastian G. & Konrad, Kai A.
December 2005, Volume 89, Issue 11-12
- 1981-2003 A utilitarian approach to the provision and pricing of excludable public goods
by Hellwig, Martin F.
- 2005-2035 Redistribution and education subsidies are Siamese twins
by Lans Bovenberg, A. & Jacobs, Bas
- 2037-2067 Integration of unemployment insurance with retirement insurance
by Stiglitz, Joseph E. & Yun, Jungyoll
- 2069-2091 Choosing between gifts and bequests: How taxes affect the timing of wealth transfers
by Joulfaian, David
- 2093-2119 Tax bases, tax rates and the elasticity of reported income
by Kopczuk, Wojciech
- 2121-2136 Not so voluntary retirement decisions? Evidence from a pension reform
by Hakola, Tuulia & Uusitalo, Roope
- 2137-2164 Do low-income housing subsidies increase the occupied housing stock?
by Sinai, Todd & Waldfogel, Joel
- 2165-2181 Rent control and unemployment duration
by Svarer, Michael & Rosholm, Michael & Munch, Jakob Roland
- 2183-2204 Hidden impact? Household saving in response to a poor-area development project
by Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua
- 2205-2230 Nonprofits with distributional objectives: price discrimination and corner solutions
by Steinberg, Richard & Weisbrod, Burton A.
- 2231-2243 Precautionary savings and the governance of nonprofit organizations
by Fisman, Raymond & Glenn Hubbard, R.
- 2245-2267 Are church and state substitutes? Evidence from the 1996 welfare reform
by Hungerman, Daniel M.
- 2269-2299 State lotteries and consumer behavior
by Kearney, Melissa Schettini
- 2301-2323 Anonymity in giving in a natural context--a field experiment in 30 churches
by Soetevent, Adriaan R.
- 2325-2368 Ethnic diversity, social sanctions, and public goods in Kenya
by Miguel, Edward & Gugerty, Mary Kay
- 2369-2382 Tax liability side equivalence in gift-exchange labor markets
by Riedl, Arno & Tyran, Jean-Robert
September 2005, Volume 89, Issue 9-10
- 1593-1610 Corporate tax evasion with agency costs
by Crocker, Keith J. & Slemrod, Joel
- 1611-1637 Timing tax evasion
by Niepelt, Dirk
- 1639-1663 Organized crime, corruption and punishment
by Kugler, Maurice & Verdier, Thierry & Zenou, Yves
- 1665-1697 On the demand for grandchildren: tied transfers and the demonstration effect
by Cox, Donald & Stark, Oded
- 1699-1717 Does the balance of power within a family matter? The case of the Retirement Equity Act
by Aura, Saku
- 1719-1742 Regional decentralization and fiscal incentives: Federalism, Chinese style
by Jin, Hehui & Qian, Yingyi & Weingast, Barry R.
- 1743-1762 Political turnover and economic performance: the incentive role of personnel control in China
by Li, Hongbin & Zhou, Li-An
- 1763-1787 Public input competition
by Bucovetsky, S.
- 1789-1821 Tax competition, tax exporting and higher-government choice of tax instruments for local governments
by Braid, Ralph M.