Monetary versus non-monetary pro-poor growth: Evidence from rural Ethiopia between 2004 and 2009
The aim of this paper is to contribute to the debate on the pro-poor growth measurement techniques using monetary versus non-monetary indicators. In this context, an alternative method for introducing non-monetary indicators into monetary pro-poor growth analysis is presented. The method is based on the definition of a Conditional Growth Incidence Curve for each group of households with a common selected non-monetary characteristic. Additional information provided by the Conditional Growth Incidence Curve is useful for a more detailed pro-poor growth analysis. Empirical illustration using data from rural Ethiopia between 2004 and 2009 shows the utility and the limits of each measurement technique.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Dercon, 2001.
"Economic reform, growth and the poor: evidence from rural Ethiopia,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2001-08, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Dercon, Stefan, 2006. "Economic reform, growth and the poor: Evidence from rural Ethiopia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 1-24, October.
- Nanak Kakwani & Hyun H. Son, 2008. "Poverty Equivalent Growth Rate," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(4), pages 643-655, December.
- Melanie Grosse & Kenneth Harttgen & Stephan Klasen, 2005.
"Measuring Pro-Poor Growth with Non-Income Indicators,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
132, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Klasen, Stephan & Harttgen, Kenneth & Grosse, Melanie, 2005. "Measuring Pro-Poor Growth with Non-Income Indicators," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Kiel 2005 22, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Ahluwalia, Montek S., 1976. "Inequality, poverty and development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 307-342, December.
- Ravallion, Martin & Shaohua Chen, 2001.
"Measuring pro-poor growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2666, The World Bank.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April.
- Ahluwalia, Montek S, 1976. "Income Distribution and Development: Some Stylized Facts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 128-135, May.
- Stefan Dercon, 2003.
"Growth and Shocks: evidence from rural Ethiopia,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2003-12, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifwedp:201262. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.