Pro-Poor Growth Measurements in a Multidimensional Model: A Comparative Approach
We broaden the analysis of pro-poor growth in monetary terms to include non-monetary dimensions of poverty and to compare the results obtained from both indicators, namely consumer expenditures and a composite poverty indicator. In addition, we use several pro-poor growth measurements to see in what proportion their results converged or diverged in order to determine whether it was possible to extrapolate a course of action intended to assist the decision-maker in coming to a decision. Lastly, we chose to conduct this analysis in three geographical areas of Senegal (Dakar, other urban centres and the rural zone) from 1994/95 to 2001/02. We demonstrated the importance of conducting a multidimensional analysis of pro-poor growth. This is even more true when analyses are conducted on population sub-groups.
|Date of creation:||10 Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (819) 821-7233
Fax: (819) 821-6930
Web page: http://www.gredi.org/home/documents-de-travail
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April.
- Ravallion, Martin & Shaohua Chen, 2001.
"Measuring pro-poor growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2666, The World Bank.
- Theo S Eicher & Cecilia Garcia Penalosa, .
"Inequality and Growth,"
Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington
0083, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Jean-Yves Duclos, 2009.
"What is “Pro-Poor”?,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 37-58, January.
- Mesplé-Somps, Sandrine & Guénard, Charlotte & Grimm, Michael, 2002.
"What has happened to the urban population in Côte d'Ivoire since the eighties? An analysis of monetary poverty and deprivation over 15 years of household data,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/4692, Paris Dauphine University.
- Michael Grimm & Charlotte Guénard & Sandrine Mesplé-Somps, 2001. "What has happened to the urban population in Côte d'Ivoire since the eighties ? An analysis of monetary poverty and deprivation over 15 years of household data," Working Papers DT/2001/14, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Klasen, Stephan, 2000. "Measuring Poverty and Deprivation in South Africa," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Ravallion, Martin & Shaohua Chen, 1996.
"What can new survey data tell us about recent changes in distribution and poverty?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1694, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 1997. "What Can New Survey Data Tell Us about Recent Changes in Distribution and Poverty?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(2), pages 357-82, May.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Klasen, Stephan & Harttgen, Kenneth & Grosse, Melanie, 2005.
"Measuring Pro-Poor Growth with Non-Income Indicators,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Kiel 2005
22, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Melanie Grosse & Kenneth Harttgen & Stephan Klasen, 2005. "Measuring Pro-Poor Growth with Non-Income Indicators," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 132, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Azam, Jean-Paul & Dia, Magueye & Tsimpo, Clarence & Wodon, Quentin, 2007. "Has Growth in Senegal After the 1994 Devaluation Been Pro-Poor?," MPRA Paper 11110, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- François Bourguignon, 2002. "The growth elasticity of poverty reduction : explaining heterogeneity across countries and time periods," DELTA Working Papers 2002-03, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Atkinson, A B, 1987. "On the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 749-64, July.
- Son, Hyun Hwa, 2004. "A note on pro-poor growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 307-314, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shr:wpaper:09-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luc Savard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.