Endogenous financing of the universal service
We address the question of endogenous financing of the Universal Service Obligations and we compare it with the exogenous financing. A fund is created and fed through a tax firms pay. We show that the way these funds are implemented by the current regulatory regimes at work goes against the social welfare. We propose a new way of implementing the fund that improves welfare. Moreover, we challenge the proportionality payment principle as it leads to lower welfare.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Das Varma, Gopal, 2003. "Bidding for a process innovation under alternative modes of competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 15-37, January.
- Philippe Chone & Laurent Flochel & Anne Perrot, 2000.
"Allocating and Funding Universal Service Obligations in a Competitive Network Market,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0213, Econometric Society.
- Philippe Choné & Laurent Flochel & Anne Perrot, 1999. "Allocating and Funding Universal Service Obligations in a Competitive Network Market," Working Papers 99-55, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Gasmi, Farid & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Sharkey, William, 1999.
"Competition, Universal Service and Telecommunications Policy in Developing Countries,"
IDEI Working Papers
92, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Gasmi, F. & Laffont, J. J. & Sharkey, W. W., 2000. "Competition, universal service and telecommunications policy in developing countries," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 221-248, September.
- Anton, James J. & Vander Weide, James H. & Vettas, Nikolaos, 2002. "Entry auctions and strategic behavior under cross-market price constraints," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 611-629, May.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Tirole, Jean, 2004.
"Essential facility financing and market structure,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 667-694, March.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1999.
"Auction Theory: a Guide to the Literature,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2163, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klemperer, P., 1999. "Auction Theory: a Guide to the Literature," Economics Papers 1999-w12, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Paul Klemperer, 1999. "Auction Theory: A Guide to the Literature," Microeconomics 9903002, EconWPA.
- Paul Klemperer, 1999. "Auction Theory: A Guide to the Literature," Economics Series Working Papers 1999-W12, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 2001. "Competition in Telecommunications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262621509, December.
- Valletti, Tommaso M., 2000. "Introduction: Symposium on universal service obligation and competition," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 205-210, September.
- Anne Perrot & Laurent Flochel & Philippe Choné, 2000.
"Universal service obligations and competition,"
- Paul R. Milgrom, 1985. "Auction Theory," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 779, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chone, Philippe & Flochel, Laurent & Perrot, Anne, 2002. "Allocating and funding universal service obligations in a competitive market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1247-1276, November.
- Sorana, Valter, 2000. "Auctions for Universal Service Subsidies," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 33-58, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:werepe:we044116. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.