Marketing, cooperatives and price heterogeneity: evidence from the CIS dairy sector
Drawing on survey data, this paper identifies the determinants of variations in farm gate milk prices for three CIS countries (Armenia, Moldova and Ukraine). We apply a multi-level modeling approach, specifically a bootstrapped mixed-effects linear regression model. The analysis suggests three main strategies to improve the price received by farmers for their output: consolidation, competition for output and stable supply chain relationships. In Armenia and Ukraine selling through a marketing cooperative has a significant, positive, albeit modest, effect on farm gate milk prices. In all three countries studied, the size of dairy operations, trust and contracting also affect positively the prices received by farmers.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sharon Brooks & Bereket Kebede & Edward Allison & John Reynolds, 2010. "The Balance of Power in Rural Marketing Networks: A Case Study of Snake Trading in Cambodia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(6), pages 1003-1025.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment, Vertical Integration, and Local Suppliers: Evidence from the Polish Dairy Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1525-1544, September.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007.
"Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch,"
Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Transition Economies,
Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO), volume 41, number 92322, June.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007.
"Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch
[Market structure and pricing on the Ukrainian market for raw milk]," MPRA Paper 21958, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lerman, Zvi*Csaki, Csaba*Feder, Gershon, 2002. "Land policies and evolving farm structures in transition countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2794, The World Bank.
- Michael E. Sykuta & Michael L. Cook, 2001. "A New Institutional Economics Approach to Contracts and Cooperatives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1273-1279.
- Gardner, Bruce L. & Lerman, Zvi, 2006. "Agricultural Cooperative Enterprise in the Transition from Socialist Collective Farming," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 34(1).
- Gardner, Bruce L. & Lerman, Zvi, 2006. "Agricultural Cooperative Enterprise In The Transition From Socialist Collective Farming," Discussion Papers 7174, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Heckman, James J, 1979. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan & Nivievskyi, Oleg & von der Malsburg, Emanuel Elsner & Movchan, Veronika, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Ukraine," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48512, World Bank.
- Johan F. M. Swinnen & Miet Maertens, 2007. "Globalization, privatization, and vertical coordination in food value chains in developing and transition countries," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(s1), pages 89-102, December.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Maertens, Miet, 2006. "Globalization, Privatization, and Vertical Coordination in Food Value Chains in Developing and Transition Countries," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25626, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gow, Hamish R. & Streeter, Deborah H. & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2000. "How private contract enforcement mechanisms can succeed where public institutions fail: the case of Juhocukor a.s," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(3), September.
- Gow, Hamish R. & Streeter, Deborah H. & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2000. "How private contract enforcement mechanisms can succeed where public institutions fail: the case of Juhocukor a.s," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 253-265, September.
- Porto, Guido G., 2005. "Informal export barriers and poverty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 447-470, July.
- Porto, Guido G., 2004. "Informal export barriers and poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3354, The World Bank.
- Gorton, Matthew & Dumitrashko, Mikhail & White, John, 2006. "Overcoming supply chain failure in the agri-food sector: A case study from Moldova," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 90-103, February.
- Reardon, Thomas & Barrett, Christopher B. & Berdegué, Julio A. & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Agrifood Industry Transformation and Small Farmers in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1717-1727, November.
- Kathryn Hendley & Peter Murrell & Randi Ryterman, 1998. "Law, Relationship, and Private Enforcement: Transactional Strategies of Russian Enterprise," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 72, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kathryn Hendley & Peter Murrell & Randi Ryterman, 1998. "Law, Relationships, and Private Enforcement: Transactional Strategies of Russian Enterprises," Electronic Working Papers 98-001, University of Maryland, Department of Economics.
- Erik Mathijs & Nivelin Noev, 2004. "Subsistence Farming in Central and Eastern Europe : Empirical Evidence from Albania, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania," Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 72-89, November.
- Erik Mathijs & Nivelin Noev, 2004. "Subsistence Farming in Central and Eastern Europe : Empirical Evidence from Albania, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(6), pages 72-89, November.
- Safavian, Mehnaz S. & Graham, Douglas H. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio, 2001. "Corruption and Microenterprises in Russia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1215-1224, July.
- Liefert, William M. & Liefert, Olga, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Russia," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48386, World Bank.
- Besancenot, Damien & Vranceanu, Radu, 2004. "Quality and price dispersion in an equilibrium search model," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 99-116.
- Cochrane, Nancy J., 2007. "Promoting Sustainable Market Institutions in the Transition Economies: the Role of International Assistance," 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary 7785, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- J. Sauer & B. Balint, 2008. "Distorted prices and producer efficiency: the case of Romania," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 131-142, April.
- World Bank, 2005. "Moldova : Opportunities for Accelerated Growth, A Country Economic Memorandum for the Republic of Moldova," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8698, The World Bank.
- Matthew Lewis, 2008. "PRICE DISPERSION AND COMPETITION WITH DIFFERENTIATED SELLERS -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 654-678, 09.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 2008. "Smallholder market participation: Concepts and evidence from eastern and southern Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 299-317, August.
- Hamish R. Gow & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2001. "Private Enforcement Capital and Contract Enforcement in Transition Economies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 686-690.
- Davis, Peter, 2005. "The Effect of Local Competition on Admission Prices in the U.S. Motion Picture Exhibition Market," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 677-708, October.
- Andrew Eckert & Douglas West, 2006. "Exit and Upgrading in Response to Entry: The Case of Gasoline Retailing," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 351-372.
- Barron, John M. & Taylor, Beck A. & Umbeck, John R., 2004. "Number of sellers, average prices, and price dispersion," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1041-1066, November.
- Cocks, Jack & Gow, Hamish R. & Westgren, Randall E., 2005. "Public Facilitation of Small Farmer Access to International Food Marketing Channels: An Empirical Analysis of the USDA Market Assistance Program in Armenia," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19295, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Alan T. Sorensen, 2000. "Equilibrium Price Dispersion in Retail Markets for Prescription Drugs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(4), pages 833-862, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea11:103722. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007. "Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch