Variation In Farm Gate Milk Prices And The Cooperative Yardstick Revisited – Panel Evidence From The European Dairy Sectors
With an average market share of about 57%, the European dairy industry is dominated by cooperatives. Large diversity exists in the importance of cooperatives across the EU-27. The cooperative yardstick school of thought suggests that agricultural cooperatives drive competition towards efficiency and “fair” prices. We revisit this argument by analyzing, whether the relative strength of cooperatives in dairy, as measured by market share, explains price variation in average national farm gate milk prices in the EU-27. Our panel data analysis shows that milk prices increase with member states´ market share of cooperatives, when controlling for GDP, fodder prices and new member states. We relate these findings to the policy debate on agricultural cooperatives and conclude that policies promoting cooperatives have the potential to increase farmer welfare.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bundesallee 50, 38116 Braunschweig|
Phone: 0531 / 596 5501
Fax: 0531 / 596 5599
Web page: http://www.gewisola.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johannes Sauer & Matthew Gorton & John White, 2012.
"Marketing, cooperatives and price heterogeneity: evidence from the CIS dairy sector,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(2), pages 165-177, 03.
- Sauer, Johannes & Gorton, Matthew & White, John, 2011. "Marketing, Co-operatives and Price Heterogeneity: Evidence from the CIS Dairy Sector," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108938, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Sauer, Johannes & Gorton, Matthew & White, John, 2011. "Marketing, Cooperatives and Price Heterogeneity: Evidence from the CIS Dairy Sector," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114489, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Sauer, Johannes & Gorton, Matthew & White, John, 2011. "Marketing, cooperatives and price heterogeneity: evidence from the CIS dairy sector," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103722, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Marten Graubner & Ines Koller & Klaus Salhofer & Alfons Balmann, 2011. "Cooperative versus non-cooperative spatial competition for milk," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(1), pages 99-118, March.
- Steven Salop & Joseph Stiglitz, 1977. "Bargains and Ripoffs: A Model of Monopolistically Competitive Price Dispersion," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(3), pages 493-510.
- Steven C. Salop & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1977. "Bargains and ripoffs: a model of monopolistically competitive price dispersion," Special Studies Papers 94, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Heyder, Matthias & Makus, Christian & Theuvsen, Ludwig, 2011. "Internationalization and Firm Performance in Agribusiness: Empirical Evidence from European Cooperatives," International Journal on Food System Dynamics, International Center for Management, Communication, and Research, vol. 2(1).
- Marten Graubner & Alfons Balmann & Richard J. Sexton, 2011. "Spatial Price Discrimination in Agricultural Product Procurement Markets: A Computational Economics Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(4), pages 949-967.
- Varian, Hal R, 1980. "A Model of Sales," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 651-659, September.
- Rafat Soboh & Alfons Oude Lansink & Gert Van Dijk, 2012. "Efficiency of Cooperatives and Investor Owned Firms Revisited," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(1), pages 142-157, 02.
- Silke Hüttel & Vanessa von Schlippenbach, 2010. "Land in Sicht? Strukturwandel in der deutschen Milchwirtschaft," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 77(38), pages 2-6.
- Salop, S & Stiglitz, J E, 1982. "The Theory of Sales: A Simple Model of Equilibrium Price Dispersion with Identical Agents," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1121-1130, December.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015. "Specification tests in econometrics," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-1271, November.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Working papers 185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Milford Anna B., 2012. "The Pro-Competitive Effect of Coffee Cooperatives in Chiapas, Mexico," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz, 2008. "Price convergence in the EU—an aggregate and disaggregate approach," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 25-47, July.
- Saul Lach, 2002. "Existence And Persistence Of Price Dispersion: An Empirical Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 433-444, August.
- Saul Lach, 2002. "Existence and Persistence of Price Dispersion: an Empirical Analysis," NBER Working Papers 8737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew Lewis, 2008. "PRICE DISPERSION AND COMPETITION WITH DIFFERENTIATED SELLERS -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 654-678, 09.
- Jeffrey S. Royer, 1995. "Potential for cooperative involvement in vertical coordination and value-added activities," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(5), pages 473-481. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gewi12:137138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.