The Pro-Competitive Effect of Coffee Cooperatives in Chiapas, Mexico
Imperfect competition among purchasers of coffee is a common problem for small scale producers. Producer-owned marketing cooperatives can reduce the market power of private purchasers and restore competition. Non-members as well as members of the cooperatives will then receive higher prices. In the present paper I carry out a theoretical and an empirical investigation into the effect of Fairtrade and organically certified cooperatives on local competition and coffee prices in Chiapas, Mexico. A theoretical model is presented which explains how the competitive effect may work in this particular setting, where cooperative membership implies certain costs that are perceived differently by different producers. Also, using both qualitative and quantitative methods, I present evidence that is consistent with the hypothesis of a pro-competitive effect of cooperatives.
Volume (Year): 10 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jafio|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rogers, Richard T. & Petraglia, Lisa M., 1994. "Agricultural Cooperatives and Market Performance in Food Manufacturing," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 9.
- Mark Hayes, 2006. "On the efficiency of fair trade," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 64(4), pages 447-468.
- Deininger, Klaus, 1995. "Collective agricultural production: A solution for transition economies?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 1317-1334, August.
- Osborne, Theresa, 2005. "Imperfect competition in agricultural markets: evidence from Ethiopia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 405-428, April.
- Markelova, Helen & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & Hellin, Jon & Dohrn, Stephan, 2009. "Collective action for smallholder market access," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-7, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:bjafio:v:10:y:2012:i:1:n:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.