Agricultural Cooperatives and Market Performance in Food Manufacturing
Support for the cooperative yardstick hypothesis was found using a standard structure-performance model that was extended to include a cooperative market share variable and was estimated with a large cross-section of food manufacturing markets. Market concentration and advertising intensity were positively related to price-cost margins. In addition, the aggregate market share of the one hundred largest agricultural marketing cooperatives was inversely related to price-cost margins. The magnitude of the effect was largest in the more concentrated markets. This suggests that. where cooperatives have vertically extended themselves into food processing. more competitive outcomes are found even in highly concentrated markets.
Volume (Year): 9 (1994)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert L. Wills, 1985. "Evaluating Price Enhancement by Processing Cooperatives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 67(2), pages 183-192.
- Jesse, Edward V. & Johnson, Aaron C. Jr, 1980. "Marketing Cooperatives and Undue Price Enhancement: A Theoretical Perspective," Working Papers 202953, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group.
- Sexton, Richard J. & Iskow, Julie, 1993. "What Do We Know About the Economic Efficiency of Cooperatives: An Evaluative Survey," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 8.
- Peter G. Helmberger, 1964. "Cooperative Enterprise as a Structural Dimension of Farm Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 46(3), pages 603-617.
- Peter Helmberger & Sidney Hoos, 1962. "Cooperative Enterprise and Organization Theory," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 44(2), pages 275-290.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joagco:46399. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.