The Performance Of Agricultural Marketing Cooperatives In Differentiated Product Markets
Recent empirical work suggests that cooperative presence in differentiated product markets lowers the consumer prices of all brands. This paper focuses on the theoretical basis for this competitive yardstick effect by cooperatives. It identifies two market structures where the competitive yardstick theorem for cooperatives can be extended from farmer-first handler markets to differentiated consumer product markets. They are (1) oligopoly with significant barriers to entry and (2) monopolistic competition with entry but only non-price competition. In the latter, the cooperative can also ensure that the socially optimal number of brands (product variety) is provided by the industry. The theory also provides useful guidance for determining when supply-limiting conduct in differentiated product markets should be challenged as undue price enhancement under the Capper-Volstead law.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regional Research Project NE-165: Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance, University of Massachusetts, Dept. of Resource Economics, Amherst, MA 01003|
Web page: http://www.umass.edu/ne165/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neven, Damien, 1985. "Two Stage (Perfect) Equilibrium in Hotelling's Model," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 317-25, March.
- Brander, James A & Eaton, Jonathan, 1984.
"Product Line Rivalry,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 323-34, June.
- Ronald W. Cotterill & Andrew W. Franklin & Li Yu Ma, 1996.
"Measuring Market Power Effects in Differentiated Product Industries: An Application to the Soft Drink Industry,"
Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports
032, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Franklin, Andrew W. & Ma, Li Yu, 1996. "Measuring Market Power Effects in Differentiated Product Industries: An Application to the Soft Drink Industry," Research Reports 25229, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Rogers, Richard T. & Marion, Bruce W., 1990. "Food Manufacturing Activities of the Largest Agricultural Cooperatives: Market Power and Strategic Behavior Implications," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 5.
- Royer, Jeffrey S. & Bhuyan, Sanjib, 1995. "Forward Integration by Farmer Cooperatives: Comparative Incentives and Impacts," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 10.
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Haller, Lawrence E., 1994.
"Market Strategies in Branded Dairy Product Markets,"
25149, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Ronald W. Cotterill & Lawrence E. Haller, 1994. "Market Strategies in Branded Dairy Product Markets," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 023, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1982.
"Product Differentiation Advantages of Pioneering Brands,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 349-65, June.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1980. "Product differentiation advantages of pioneering brands," Working papers 1140-80., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- E. V. Jesse & B. W. Marion & A. C. Manchester & Aaron. C. Johnson, 1982. "Interpreting and Enforcing Section 2 of the Capper-Volstead Act," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 64(3), pages 431-443.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:marerp:964. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.