History and current status of the motor vehicle energy labeling and its implementation possibilities in Malaysia
The road transport and particularly the passenger cars are responsible for increasing the share of transport energy consumption and harmful emissions level growth. The fuel economy label is an informative tool to influence customers and manufacturers to put special care to the energy efficiency issue. The implementation of fuel economy label for motor vehicles in Malaysia will prevent the up going trend of petroleum consumption which will be beneficial to consumer and society. As a consequence, the harmful greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions that are the main causes of the global warming and air pollution will be reduced. Studies in developed countries show that implementing the fuel economy label is beneficial for society, government and the environment. This paper focused on a review of international experiences on fuel economy label. It also attempts to discuss about the energy savings possibilities that lead to reduce GHG emissions by implementing the program. The last but not least recommendation is the fact that the sooner the fuel economy label applies for the passenger cars in Malaysia will be more beneficial for the country.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zheng, Y.H. & Li, Z.F. & Feng, S.F. & Lucas, M. & Wu, G.L. & Li, Y. & Li, C.H. & Jiang, G.M., 2010. "Biomass energy utilization in rural areas may contribute to alleviating energy crisis and global warming: A case study in a typical agro-village of Shandong, China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 3132-3139, December.
- Teck Ghee Lim, 2011. "Malaysia Today: Lagging Economy and Ailing Higher Education System," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 10(1), pages 139-156, January.
- Andersen, Otto & Gössling, Stefan & Simonsen, Morten & Walnum, Hans Jakob & Peeters, Paul & Neiberger, Cordula, 2010. "CO2 emissions from the transport of China's exported goods," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5790-5798, October.
- Ou, Xunmin & Zhang, Xiliang & Chang, Shiyan, 2010. "Scenario analysis on alternative fuel/vehicle for China's future road transport: Life-cycle energy demand and GHG emissions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 3943-3956, August.
- He, Kebin & Huo, Hong & Zhang, Qiang & He, Dongquan & An, Feng & Wang, Michael & Walsh, Michael P., 2005. "Oil consumption and CO2 emissions in China's road transport: current status, future trends, and policy implications," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 1499-1507, August.
- Schipper, Lee, 2009. "Fuel economy, vehicle use and other factors affecting CO2 emissions from transport," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3711-3713, October.
- Plotkin, Steven E., 2009. "Examining fuel economy and carbon standards for light vehicles," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3843-3853, October.
- Sanchez, Marla C. & Brown, Richard E. & Webber, Carrie & Homan, Gregory K., 2008. "Savings estimates for the United States Environmental Protection Agency's ENERGY STAR voluntary product labeling program," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 2098-2108, June.
- Mahlia, T. M. I. & Masjuki, H. H. & Taha, F. M. & Rahim, N. A. & Saidur, R., 2005. "Energy labeling for electric fans in Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 63-68, January.
- Shanjun Li & Roger von Haefen & Christopher Timmins, 2008.
"How Do Gasoline Prices Affect Fleet Fuel Economy?,"
NBER Working Papers
14450, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Bonilla & Timothy Foxon, 2009. "Demand for New Car Fuel Economy in the UK, 1970-2005," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 43(1), pages 55-83, January.
- Christian Fuchs, 2008. "The implications of new information and communication technologies for sustainability," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 291-309, June.
- Ozan, Cenk & Haldenbilen, Soner & Ceylan, Halim, 2011. "Estimating emissions on vehicular traffic based on projected energy and transport demand on rural roads: Policies for reducing air pollutant emissions and energy consumption," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2542-2549, May.
- Rose, Adam & Benavides, Juan & Lim, Dongsoon & Frias, Oscar, 1996. "Global warming policy, energy, and the Chinese economy," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 31-63, March.
- Rubin, Jonathan & Leiby, Paul, 2000. "An analysis of alternative fuel credit provisions of US automotive fuel economy standards," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 589-601, July.
- Hwang, Jenn Jiang, 2010. "Sustainable transport strategy for promoting zero-emission electric scooters in Taiwan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 1390-1399, June.
- Clerides, Sofronis & Zachariadis, Theodoros, 2008. "The effect of standards and fuel prices on automobile fuel economy: An international analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2657-2672, September.
- Abbasi, Tasneem & Abbasi, S.A., 2010. "Production of clean energy by anaerobic digestion of phytomass--New prospects for a global warming amelioration technology," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1653-1659, August.
- Silitonga, A.S. & Atabani, A.E. & Mahlia, T.M.I. & Sebayang, A.H., 2011. "Techno-economic analysis and environmental impact of fuel economy labels for passenger cars in Indonesia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(9), pages 5212-5217.
- Mahlia, T.M.I. & Saidur, R. & Memon, L.A. & Zulkifli, N.W.M. & Masjuki, H.H., 2010. "A review on fuel economy standard for motor vehicles with the implementation possibilities in Malaysia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 3092-3099, December.
- Oliver, Hongyan H. & Gallagher, Kelly Sims & Tian, Donglian & Zhang, Jinhua, 2009. "China's fuel economy standards for passenger vehicles: Rationale, policy process, and impacts," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4720-4729, November.
- Wagner, David Vance & An, Feng & Wang, Cheng, 2009. "Structure and impacts of fuel economy standards for passenger cars in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3803-3811, October.
- Atabani, A.E. & Badruddin, Irfan Anjum & Mekhilef, S. & Silitonga, A.S., 2011. "A review on global fuel economy standards, labels and technologies in the transportation sector," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(9), pages 4586-4610.
- So UMEZAKI, 2007. "Monetary Policy In A Small Open Economy: The Case Of Malaysia," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 45(4), pages 437-464.
- McCollum, David & Yang, Christopher, 2009. "Achieving deep reductions in US transport greenhouse gas emissions: Scenario analysis and policy implications," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5580-5596, December.
- Li, Jun, 2011.
"Decoupling urban transport from GHG emissions in Indian cities--A critical review and perspectives,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3503-3514, June.
- Jun Li, 2011. "Decoupling urban transport from GHG emissions in Indian cities--A critical review and perspectives," Post-Print hal-00596587, HAL.
- Al-Mofleh, Anwar & Taib, Soib & Mujeebu, M. Abdul & Salah, Wael, 2009. "Analysis of sectoral energy conservation in Malaysia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 733-739.
- Johansson, Bengt, 2009. "Will restrictions on CO2 emissions require reductions in transport demand?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3212-3220, August.
- Hernandez, Felix & Gual, Miguel Angel & Rio, Pablo Del & Caparros, Alejandro, 2004. "Energy sustainability and global warming in Spain," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 383-394, February.
- Silitonga, A.S. & Atabani, A.E. & Mahlia, T.M.I., 2012. "Review on fuel economy standard and label for vehicle in selected ASEAN countries," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 1683-1695.
- Soylu, Seref, 2007. "Estimation of Turkish road transport emissions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 4088-4094, August.
- Pucher, John & Korattyswaropam, Nisha & Mittal, Neha & Ittyerah, Neenu, 2005. "Urban transport crisis in India," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 185-198, May.
- Rabia Naguib & Joseph Smucker, 2009. "When Economic Growth Rhymes with Social Development: The Malaysia Experience," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 89(2), pages 99-113, November.
- Koopman, Gert Jan, 1997. "Long-term challenges for inland transport in the European Union: 1997-2010 : Consequences for transport fuel economy and use," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(14-15), pages 1151-1161, December.
- Jayed, M.H. & Masjuki, H.H. & Kalam, M.A. & Mahlia, T.M.I. & Husnawan, M. & Liaquat, A.M., 2011. "Prospects of dedicated biodiesel engine vehicles in Malaysia and Indonesia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 220-235, January.
- Feijoo, Maria L. & Franco, Juan F. & Hernandez, Jose M., 2002. "Global warming and the energy efficiency of Spanish industry," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 405-423, July.
- Ong, H.C. & Mahlia, T.M.I. & Masjuki, H.H., 2011. "A review on emissions and mitigation strategies for road transport in Malaysia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 3516-3522.
- Leggett, Jeremy, 1996. "The emerging global-warming market-driver in the energy sector: A status report," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 6-9.
- Shiau, Ching-Shin Norman & Michalek, Jeremy J. & Hendrickson, Chris T., 2009. "A structural analysis of vehicle design responses to Corporate Average Fuel Economy policy," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(9-10), pages 814-828, November.
- Saidur, R. & Masjuki, H. H. & Mahlia, T. M. I., 2005. "Labeling design effort for household refrigerator-freezers in Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 611-618, March.
- Fadzlan Sufian & Muzafar Shah Habibullah, 2009. "Determinants of bank profitability in a developing economy: Empirical evidence from Bangladesh," Journal of Business Economics and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 207-217, April.
- Meyer, I. & Leimbach, M. & Jaeger, C.C., 2007. "International passenger transport and climate change: A sector analysis in car demand and associated CO2 emissions from 2000 to 2050," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6332-6345, December.
- Bonilla, David, 2009. "Fuel demand on UK roads and dieselisation of fuel economy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3769-3778, October.
- Rubin, Jonathan & Leiby, Paul N. & Greene, David L., 2009. "Tradable fuel economy credits: Competition and oligopoly," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 315-328, November.
- Saidur, R. & Sattar, M.A. & Masjuki, H.H. & Ahmed, S. & Hashim, U., 2007. "An estimation of the energy and exergy efficiencies for the energy resources consumption in the transportation sector in Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 4018-4026, August.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Solomon, Barry D., 2003. "Eco-labeling for energy efficiency and sustainability: a meta-evaluation of US programs," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 109-123, January.
- Sheinbaum-Pardo, Claudia & Chávez-Baeza, Carlos, 2011. "Fuel economy of new passenger cars in Mexico: Trends from 1988 to 2008 and prospects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 8153-8162.
- Scholl, Lynn & Schipper, Lee & Kiang, Nancy, 1996. "CO2 emissions from passenger transport : A comparison of international trends from 1973 to 1992," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 17-30, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:16:y:2012:i:4:p:1828-1844. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.