Hybrid electric vehicles and their challenges: A review
There are numbers of alternative energy resources being studied for hybrid vehicles as preparation to replace the exhausted supply of petroleum worldwide. The use of fossil fuel in the vehicles is a rising concern due to its harmful environmental effects. Among other sources battery, fuel cell (FC), super capacitors (SC) and photovoltaic cell i.e. solar are studied for vehicle application. Combinations of these sources of renewable energies can be applied for hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) for next generation of transportation. Various aspects and techniques of HEV from energy management system (EMS), power conditioning and propulsion system are explored in this paper. Other related fields of HEV such as DC machine and vehicle system are also included. Various type models and algorithms derived from simulation and experiment are explained in details. The performances of the various combination of HEV system are summarized in the table along with relevant references. This paper provides comprehensive survey of hybrid electric vehicle on their source combination, models, energy management system (EMS) etc. developed by various researchers. From the rigorous review, it is observed that the existing technologies more or less can capable to perform HEV well; however, the reliability and the intelligent systems are still not up to the mark. Accordingly, this review have been lighted many factors, challenges and problems sustainable next generation hybrid vehicle.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 29 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atabani, A.E. & Badruddin, Irfan Anjum & Mekhilef, S. & Silitonga, A.S., 2011. "A review on global fuel economy standards, labels and technologies in the transportation sector," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(9), pages 4586-4610.
- Rao, Zhonghao & Wang, Shuangfeng, 2011. "A review of power battery thermal energy management," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(9), pages 4554-4571.
- García, Carlos A. & Manzini, Fabio & Islas, Jorge, 2010. "Air emissions scenarios from ethanol as a gasoline oxygenate in Mexico City Metropolitan Area," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 3032-3040, December.
- Kirubakaran, A. & Jain, Shailendra & Nema, R.K., 2009. "A review on fuel cell technologies and power electronic interface," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2430-2440, December.
- Erdinc, O. & Uzunoglu, M., 2010. "Recent trends in PEM fuel cell-powered hybrid systems: Investigation of application areas, design architectures and energy management approaches," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 2874-2884, December.
- Bradley, Thomas H. & Frank, Andrew A., 2009. "Design, demonstrations and sustainability impact assessments for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 115-128, January.
- Al-Baghdadi, Maher A.R. Sadiq, 2005. "Modelling of proton exchange membrane fuel cell performance based on semi-empirical equations," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 1587-1599.
- Wee, Jung-Ho, 2007. "Applications of proton exchange membrane fuel cell systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(8), pages 1720-1738, October.
- Burke, Andrew, 2000. "Ultracapacitors: Why, How, and Where is the Technology," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt9n905017, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Hwang, Jenn Jiang, 2010. "Sustainable transport strategy for promoting zero-emission electric scooters in Taiwan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 1390-1399, June.
- Wang, Xiaoming & Shang, Jianzhong & Luo, Zirong & Tang, Li & Zhang, Xiangpo & Li, Juan, 2012. "Reviews of power systems and environmental energy conversion for unmanned underwater vehicles," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 1958-1970.
- Ibrahim, H. & Ilinca, A. & Perron, J., 2008. "Energy storage systems--Characteristics and comparisons," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 1221-1250, June.
- Wee, Jung-Ho, 2010. "Contribution of fuel cell systems to CO2 emission reduction in their application fields," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 735-744, February.
- Jorgensen, K., 2008. "Technologies for electric, hybrid and hydrogen vehicles: Electricity from renewable energy sources in transport," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 72-79, June.
- Mahlia, T.M.I. & Tohno, S. & Tezuka, T., 2012. "History and current status of the motor vehicle energy labeling and its implementation possibilities in Malaysia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 1828-1844.
- Chakraborty, Arindam, 2011. "Advancements in power electronics and drives in interface with growing renewable energy resources," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 1816-1827, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:29:y:2014:i:c:p:135-150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.