A review of power battery thermal energy management
This paper reviews the development of clean vehicles, including pure electric vehicles (EVs), hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) and fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs), and high energy power batteries, such as nickel metal hydride (Ni-MH), lithium-ion (Li-ion) and proton exchange membrane fuel cells (PEMFCs). The mathematical models and thermal behavior of the batteries are described. Details of various thermal management techniques, especially the PCMs battery thermal management system and the materials thermal conductivity, are discussed and compared. It is concluded that the EVs, HEVs and FCEVs are effective to reduce GHG and pollutants emission and save energy. At stressful and abuse conditions, especially at high discharge rates and at high operating or ambient temperatures, traditional battery thermal energy management systems, such as air and liquid, may be not meeting the requirements. Pulsating heat pipe may be more effective but needs to be well designed. In addition, progress in developing new high temperature material is very difficult. PCM for battery thermal management is a better selection than others. Nevertheless, thermal conductivity of the PCMs such as paraffin is low and some methods are adopted to enhance the heat transfer of the PCMs. The performance and thermo-mechanical behaviors of the improved PCMs in the battery thermal management system need to be investigated experimentally. And the possibility of the heat collection and recycling needs to be discussed in terms of energy saving and efficient.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agyenim, Francis & Hewitt, Neil & Eames, Philip & Smyth, Mervyn, 2010. "A review of materials, heat transfer and phase change problem formulation for latent heat thermal energy storage systems (LHTESS)," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 615-628, February.
- Huang, K. David & Tzeng, Sheng-Chung & Chang, Wei-Chuan, 2005. "Energy-saving hybrid vehicle using a pneumatic-power system," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 1-18, May.
- Andersen, Poul H. & Mathews, John A. & Rask, Morten, 2009. "Integrating private transport into renewable energy policy: The strategy of creating intelligent recharging grids for electric vehicles," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2481-2486, July.
- Yuan, Chaoqing & Liu, Sifeng & Fang, Zhigeng & Wu, Junlong, 2009. "Research on the energy-saving effect of energy policies in China: 1982-2006," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2475-2480, July.
- Bal, Lalit M. & Satya, Santosh & Naik, S.N., 2010. "Solar dryer with thermal energy storage systems for drying agricultural food products: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(8), pages 2298-2314, October.
- Sopian, Kamaruzzaman & Wan Daud, Wan Ramli, 2006. "Challenges and future developments in proton exchange membrane fuel cells," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 719-727.
- Weinert, Jonathan & Ogden, Joan & Sperling, Dan & Burke, Andrew, 2008. "The future of electric two-wheelers and electric vehicles in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2544-2555, July.
- Delucchi, Mark & Lipman, Timothy, 2001. "An Analysis of the Retail and Lifecycle Cost of Battery-Powered Electric Vehicles," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt50q9060k, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Yu, Sangseok & Jung, Dohoy, 2008. "Thermal management strategy for a proton exchange membrane fuel cell system with a large active cell area," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2540-2548.
- Jegadheeswaran, S. & Pohekar, Sanjay D., 2009. "Performance enhancement in latent heat thermal storage system: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2225-2244, December.
- Hu, Xiaojun & Chang, Shiyan & Li, Jingjie & Qin, Yining, 2010. "Energy for sustainable road transportation in China: Challenges, initiatives and policy implications," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 4289-4301.
- Göransson, Lisa & Karlsson, Sten & Johnsson, Filip, 2010. "Integration of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles in a regional wind-thermal power system," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5482-5492, October.
- Cai, Yibing & Wei, Qufu & Huang, Fenglin & Lin, Shiliang & Chen, Fang & Gao, Weidong, 2009. "Thermal stability, latent heat and flame retardant properties of the thermal energy storage phase change materials based on paraffin/high density polyethylene composites," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2117-2123.
- Weinert, Jonathan X. & Ogden, Joan M. & Sperling, Dan & Burke, Andy, 2008. "The future of electric two-wheelers and electric vehicles in China," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt0d05f8v9, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Offer, G.J. & Howey, D. & Contestabile, M. & Clague, R. & Brandon, N.P., 2010. "Comparative analysis of battery electric, hydrogen fuel cell and hybrid vehicles in a future sustainable road transport system," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 24-29, January.
- Cai, Yibing & Wei, Qufu & Huang, Fenglin & Gao, Weidong, 2008. "Preparation and properties studies of halogen-free flame retardant form-stable phase change materials based on paraffin/high density polyethylene composites," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 85(8), pages 765-775, August.
- Kenisarin, Murat M., 2010. "High-temperature phase change materials for thermal energy storage," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 955-970, April.
- Wang, Zhao & Jin, Yuefu & Wang, Michael & Wei, Wu, 2010. "New fuel consumption standards for Chinese passenger vehicles and their effects on reductions of oil use and CO2 emissions of the Chinese passenger vehicle fleet," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 5242-5250, September.
- Dutil, Yvan & Rousse, Daniel R. & Salah, Nizar Ben & Lassue, Stéphane & Zalewski, Laurent, 2011. "A review on phase-change materials: Mathematical modeling and simulations," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 112-130, January.
- Choi, Hyundo & Oh, Inha, 2010. "Analysis of product efficiency of hybrid vehicles and promotion policies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 2262-2271, May.
- Skerlos, Steven J. & Winebrake, James J., 2010. "Targeting plug-in hybrid electric vehicle policies to increase social benefits," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 705-708, February.
- Oikonomou, V. & Becchis, F. & Steg, L. & Russolillo, D., 2009. "Energy saving and energy efficiency concepts for policy making," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4787-4796, November.
- Amjad, Shaik & Neelakrishnan, S. & Rudramoorthy, R., 2010. "Review of design considerations and technological challenges for successful development and deployment of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 1104-1110, April.
- Sharma, Atul & Tyagi, V.V. & Chen, C.R. & Buddhi, D., 2009. "Review on thermal energy storage with phase change materials and applications," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 318-345, February.
- Brown, Stephen & Pyke, David & Steenhof, Paul, 2010. "Electric vehicles: The role and importance of standards in an emerging market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3797-3806, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:15:y:2011:i:9:p:4554-4571. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.