Consumer Preferences for Eco, Health and Fair Trade Labels. An Application to Seafood Product in France
How are consumer attitudes towards eco-labeled products affected by a profusion of labels? This article provides both theoretical and empirical insight into this issue. Assuming that consumers perceive a label both as a sign of quality and of a particular characteristic of a product, we deduce theoretical determinants for preferences for three types of label: a health label, an eco-label and a fair trade label. We enrich this analysis by synthesizing most empirical determinants of eco-labeling demand mentioned in the literature. Using a French survey on seafood products, the estimation of a rank-ordered multinomial logit with random intercepts shows a certain proximity between the profiles of pro-eco-label and pro-fair trade label consumers, whereas pro-health label individuals have a more distinct profile: The two former are more likely to be young men mainly concerned with fishing conditions, whereas the latter are older married women with children who pay attention to the product form. We relate preferences for labels to degree of altruism, environmental consciousness and other socio-economic features.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jafio|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, January.
- Cathy R. Wessells & Robert J. Johnston & Holger Donath, 1999. "Assessing Consumer Preferences for Ecolabeled Seafood: The Influence of Species, Certifier, and Household Attributes," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1084-1089.
- Gerhard Clemenz, 2010. "Eco-Labeling and Horizontal Product Differentiation," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(4), pages 481-497, April.
- Adel Ben Youssef & Rim Lahmandi-Ayed, 2008.
"Eco-labelling, Competition and Environment: Endogenization of Labelling Criteria,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(2), pages 133-154, October.
- Adel Ben Youssef & Rim Lahmandi-Ayed, 2008. "Eco-labelling, competition and environment: Endogenization of labelling criteria," Post-Print halshs-00937208, HAL.
- Johnston, Robert J. & Roheim, Cathy A. & Donath, Holger & Asche, Frank, 2001. "Measuring Consumer Preferences For Ecolabeled Seafood: An International Comparison," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Lisette Ibanez & Gilles Grolleau, 2008. "Can Ecolabeling Schemes Preserve the Environment?," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(2), pages 233-249, June.
- Lisette Ibanez & Gilles Grolleau, 2008. "Can ecolabeling schemes preserve the environment?," Post-Print hal-01072438, HAL.
- Johnston, Robert J. & Roheim, Cathy A., 2006. "A Battle of Taste and Environmental Convictions for Ecolabeled Seafood: A Contingent Ranking Experiment," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(02), August.
- Salladarré Frédéric & Guillotreau Patrice & Perraudeau Yves & Monfort Marie-Christine, 2010. "The Demand for Seafood Eco-Labels in France," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-26, December.
- Frédéric Salladarré & Patrice Guillotreau & Yves Perraudeau & Marie-Christine Monfort, 2010. "The Demand for Seafood Eco-Labels in France," Post-Print halshs-00545202, HAL.
- Michael Kuhn, 2005. "The Greening of Markets," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3583. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)