Natural disasters and household welfare : evidence from Vietnam
As natural disasters hit with increasing frequency, especially in coastal areas, it is imperative to better understand how much natural disasters affect economies and their people. This requires disaggregated measures of natural disasters that can be reliably linked to households, the first challenge this paper tackles. In particular, a methodology is illustrated to create natural disaster and hazard maps from first hand, geo-referenced meteorological data. In a second step, the repeated cross-sectional national living standard measurement surveys (2002, 2004, and 2006) from Vietnam are augmented with the natural disaster measures derived in the first phase, to estimate the welfare effects associated with natural disasters. The results indicate that short-run losses from natural disasters can be substantial, with riverine floods causing welfare losses of up to 23 percent and hurricanes reducing welfare by up to 52 percent inside cities with a population over 500,000. Households are better able to cope with the short-run effects of droughts, largely due to irrigation. There are also important long-run negative effects, in Vietnam mostly so for droughts, flash floods, and hurricanes. Geographical differentiation in the welfare effects across space and disaster appears partly linked to the functioning of the disaster relief system, which has so far largely eluded households in areas regularly affected by hurricane force winds.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Dercon, 1993.
"Risk, crop choice and savings: evidence from Tanzania,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/1993-02, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Dercon, Stefan, 1996. "Risk, Crop Choice, and Savings: Evidence from Tanzania," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(3), pages 485-513, April.
- Stefan Dercon, 1993. "Risk, crop choice and saving: evidence from Tanzania," CSAE Working Paper Series 1993-02, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Stefan Dercon, 2003.
"Growth and Shocks: evidence from rural Ethiopia,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2003-12, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Takashi Yamano & Harold Alderman & Luc Christiaensen, 2005.
"Child Growth, Shocks, and Food Aid in Rural Ethiopia,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(2), pages 273-288.
- Takashi Yamano & Harold Alderman & Luc Christiaensen, 2003. "Child growth, shocks, and food aid in rural Ethiopia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3128, The World Bank.
- Yamano, Takashi & Alderman, Harold & Christiaensen, Luc J.M., 2003. "Child Growth, Shocks, And Food Aid In Rural Ethiopia," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25838, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Masako Hasegawa, 2010. "Risk Coping Measures against Different Types of Shocks: Empirical Evidence from Vietnam Household Living Standard Survey," OSIPP Discussion Paper 10E006, Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka University.
- Costanza, Robert & Farley, Joshua, 2007. "Ecological economics of coastal disasters: Introduction to the special issue," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2-3), pages 249-253, August.
- Hallegatte, Stéphane & Dumas, Patrice, 2009.
"Can natural disasters have positive consequences? Investigating the role of embodied technical change,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 777-786, January.
- Stéphane Hallegatte & Patrice Dumas, 2009. "Can natural disasters have positive consequences? Investigating the role of embodied technical change," Post-Print hal-00719266, HAL.
- Eduardo Cavallo & Ilan Noy, 2009.
"The Economics of Natural Disasters: A Survey,"
Research Department Publications
4649, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Cavallo & Ilan Noy, 2009. "The Economics of Natural Disasters - A Survey," Working Papers 200919, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Eduardo A. Cavallo & Ilan Noy, 2009. "The Economics of Natural Disasters: A Survey," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6779, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eswaran, Mukesh & Kotwal, Ashok, 1990. "Implications of Credit Constraints for Risk Behaviour in Less Developed Economies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(2), pages 473-82, April.
- Maxx Dilley & Robert S. Chen & Uwe Deichmann & Arthur L. Lerner-Lam & Margaret Arnold, 2005. "Natural Disaster Hotspots: A Global Risk Analysis," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7376.
- Valerie Mueller & Daniel Osgood, 2009. "Long-term Impacts of Droughts on Labour Markets in Developing Countries: Evidence from Brazil," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(10), pages 1651-1662.
- Loayza, Norman V. & Olaberría, Eduardo & Rigolini, Jamele & Christiaensen, Luc, 2012.
"Natural Disasters and Growth: Going Beyond the Averages,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1317-1336.
- Loayza, Norman & Olaberria, Eduardo & Rigolini, Jamele & Christiaensen, Luc, 2009. "Natural disasters and growth - going beyond the averages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4980, The World Bank.
- Michael Carter & Christopher Barrett, 2006. "The economics of poverty traps and persistent poverty: An asset-based approach," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 178-199.
- Le Dang Trung & Tran Ngo Minh Tam & Bob Baulch & Henrik Hansen, 2007.
"Testing for Food market integration: A study of the Vietnamese paddy market,"
11, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Trung, Le Dang & Tam, Tran Ngo Minh & Baulch, Bob & Hansen, Henrik, 2007. "Testing for Food Market Integration: A Study of the Vietnamese Paddy Market," 81st Annual Conference, April 2-4, 2007, Reading University 7974, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Richard E. Just & Rulon D. Pope, 1979. "Production Function Estimation and Related Risk Considerations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 61(2), pages 276-284.
- Lopez, Ramon, 2009. "Natural disasters and the dynamics of intangible assets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4874, The World Bank.
- Seema Jayachandran, 2005.
"Selling Labor Low: Wage Responses to Productivity Shocks in Developing Countries,"
UCLA Economics Online Papers
370, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Seema Jayachandran, 2006. "Selling Labor Low: Wage Responses to Productivity Shocks in Developing Countries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(3), pages 538-575, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:5491. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.