Consumption risk, technology adoption, and poverty traps : evidence from Ethiopia
Much has been written on the determinants of input and technology adoption in agriculture, with issues such as input availability, knowledge and education, risk preferences, profitability, and credit constraints receivingmuch attention. This paper focuses on a factor that has been less well documented-the differential ability of households to take on risky production technologies for fear of the welfare consequences if shocks result in poor harvests. Building on an explicit model, this is explored in panel data for Ethiopia. Historical rainfall distributions are used to identify the counterfactual consumption risk. Controlling for unobserved household and time-varying village characteristics, it emerges that not just ex-ante credit constraints, but also the possibly low consumption outcomes when harvests fail, discourage the application of fertilizer. The lack of insurance causes inefficiency in production choices.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Dercon, 2004.
"Growth and Shocks: evidence from rural Ethiopia,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 25598-25598, January.
- Stefan Dercon & Pramila Krishnan, 2000. "Vulnerability, seasonality and poverty in Ethiopia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 25-53.
- Christiaensen, Luc. J. & Subbarao, Kalanidhi, 2004.
"Toward an understanding of household vulnerability in rural Kenya,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3326, The World Bank.
- Luc J. Christiaensen & Kalanidhi Subbarao, 2005. "Towards an Understanding of Household Vulnerability in Rural Kenya," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 14(4), pages 520-558, December.
- Dercon, Stefan, 2002.
"Income Risk, Coping Strategies and Safety Nets,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1992.
"Wealth, weather risk, and the composition and profitability of agricultural investments,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1055, The World Bank.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R & Binswanger, Hans P, 1993. "Wealth, Weather Risk and the Composition and Profitability of Agricultural Investments," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(416), pages 56-78, January.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1989. "Wealth, Weather Risk and the Composition and Profitability of Agricultural Investments," Bulletins 7455, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Dercon, Stefan, 1996.
"Risk, Crop Choice, and Savings: Evidence from Tanzania,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(3), pages 485513-4855, April.
- Stefan Dercon, 1993. "Risk, crop choice and saving: evidence from Tanzania," CSAE Working Paper Series 1993-02, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Kurosaki, Takashi & Fafchamps, Marcel, 2002.
"Insurance market efficiency and crop choices in Pakistan,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 419-453, April.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Takashi Kurosaki, 2000. "Insurance Market Efficiency and Crop Choices in Pakistan," Economics Series Working Papers 12, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Takashi Kurosaki & Marcel Fafchamps, 1998. "Insurance Market Efficiency and Crop Choices in Pakistan," Discussion Paper Series a358, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Takashi Kurosaki & Marcel Fafchamps, 1997. "Insurance Market Efficiency and Crop Choices in Pakistan," Working Papers 97010, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Russell L. Lamb, 2003. "Fertilizer Use, Risk, and Off-Farm Labor Markets in the Semi-Arid Tropics of India," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 359-371.
- Robert M. Townsend, 1995. "Consumption Insurance: An Evaluation of Risk-Bearing Systems in Low-Income Economies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 83-102, Summer.
- Morduch, J., 1995.
"Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing,"
512, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1995. "Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1727, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Deaton, Angus, 1992. "Understanding Consumption," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288244, December.
- Datt, Gaurav & Hoogeveen, Hans, 2003.
"El Nino or El Peso? Crisis, Poverty and Income Distribution in the Philippines,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1103-1124, July.
- Datt, Gaurav & Hoogeveen, Hans, 2000. "El Nino or El Peso? Crisis, poverty, and income distribution in the Philippines," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2466, The World Bank.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Måns Söderbom & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Catherine Pattillo & Francis Teal & Albert Zeu, 2000.
"Credit constraints in manufacturing enterprises in Africa,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2000-24, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Cathy Patillo & Måns S–derbom & Francis Teal & Albert Zeufack, 2003. "Credit Constraints in Manufacturing Enterprises in Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(1), pages 104-125, March.
- Kazianga, Harounan & Udry, Christopher, 2006.
"Consumption smoothing? Livestock, insurance and drought in rural Burkina Faso,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 413-446, April.
- Harounan Kazianga & Christopher Udry, 2004. "Consumption Smoothing? Livestock, Insurance and Drought in Rural Burkina Faso," Working Papers 898, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Luc Christiaensen & Lionel Demery, 2007. "Down to Earth : Agriculture and Poverty Reduction in Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6624.
- Stephen R. Boucher & Michael R. Carter & Catherine Guirkinger, 2008. "Risk Rationing and Wealth Effects in Credit Markets: Theory and Implications for Agricultural Development," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 409-423.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Köhlin, Gunnar & Mekonnen, Alemu & Yesuf, Mahmud, 2005. "Are Agricultural Extension Packages What Ethiopian Farmers Want? A Stated Preference Analysis," Working Papers in Economics 172, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- L. Dean Hiebert, 1974. "Risk, Learning, and the Adoption of Fertilizer Responsive Seed Varieties," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 56(4), pages 764-768.
- Andre Croppenstedt & Mulat Demeke & Meloria M. Meschi, 2003. "Technology Adoption in the Presence of Constraints: the Case of Fertilizer Demand in Ethiopia," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 58-70, February.
- Frederic Zimmerman & MICHAEL R. CARTER, .
"Asset Smoothing, Consumption Smoothing and the Reproduction for Inequality under Risk and Subsistence Constraints,"
Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers
402, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Zimmerman, Frederick J. & Carter, Michael R., 2003. "Asset smoothing, consumption smoothing and the reproduction of inequality under risk and subsistence constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 233-260, August.
- Asfaw, Abay & Admassie, Assefa, 2004. "The role of education on the adoption of chemical fertiliser under different socioeconomic environments in Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 215-228, May.
- Leggesse Dadi & Michael Burton & Adam Ozanne, 2004. "Duration Analysis of Technological Adoption in Ethiopian Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 613-631.
- Suleiman Abrar & Oliver Morrissey & Tony Rayner, 2004. "Crop-Level Supply Response by Agro-Climatic Region in Ethiopia," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2), pages 289-311.
- Boucher, Stephen R. & Guirkinger, Catherine & Trivelli, Carolina, 2006. "Direct Elicitation of Credit Constraints: Conceptual and Practical Issues with an Empirical Application to Peruvian Agriculture," Working Papers 6883, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Honore, Bo E, 1992. "Trimmed LAD and Least Squares Estimation of Truncated and Censored Regression Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 533-65, May.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Eswaran, Mukesh & Kotwal, Ashok, 1990. "Implications of Credit Constraints for Risk Behaviour in Less Developed Economies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(2), pages 473-82, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:4257. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.