The Solaria Syndrome: Social Capital in a Growing Hyper-technological Economy
Paper presented at the Conference “From GDP to Well-Being: Economics on the Road to Sustainability”, Ancona, Italy, 3-5 December 2009. Abstract We develop a dynamic model to analyze the sources and the evolution of social participation and social capital in a growing economy characterized by exogenous technical progress. Starting from the assumption that the well-being of agents basically depends on material and relational goods, we show that the best-case scenarios hold when technology and social capital both support just one of the two productions at the expenses of the other. However, trajectories are possible where technology and social interaction balance one another in fostering the growth of both the social and the private sector of the economy. Along such tracks, technology may play a crucial role in supporting a “socially sustainable” economic growth.
|Date of creation:||04 Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Reference authors:Angelo Antoci Dipartimento di Economia Impresa e Regolamentazione, Università di Sassari, via Torre Tonda 34, 07100 Sassari, Italy; e-mail: email@example.com; Fabio Sabatini Dipartmento di Economia Politica, Università di Siena, piazza San Francesco 5, 53100 Siena, Italy; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Mauro Sodini Dipartimento di Statistica e Matematica Applicata all’Economia, Università di Pisa, via Cosimo Ridolfi 10, 56124 Pisa, Italy; e-mail: email@example.com.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 0543 62327
Fax: +39 0543 374676
Web page: http://www.aiccon.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Becker, Gary S, 1981. "Altruism in the Family and Selfishness in the Market Place," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 48(189), pages 1-15, February.
- Dearmon, Jacob & Grier, Kevin, 2009. "Trust and development," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 210-220, August.
- Paldam, Martin & Svendsen, Gert Tinggaard, 2000. "An essay on social capital: looking for the fire behind the smoke," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 339-366, June.
- Guido Cozzi & Silvia Galli, 2009.
"Science-Based R&D in Schumpeterian Growth,"
2009_19, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Annen, Kurt, 2003. "Social capital, inclusive networks, and economic performance," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 449-463, April.
- Sabatini Fabio, 2007.
"The empirics of social capital and economic development: A critical perspective,"
0031, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2006. "The Empirics of Social Capital and Economic Development: A Critical Perspective," Working Papers 2006.15, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Angelo Antoci & Stefano Bartolini, 1997. "Externalities and Growth in an Evolutionary Game," Department of Economics Working Papers 9710, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Andreas Knabe & Steffen Rätzel, 2011.
"Scarring or Scaring? The Psychological Impact of Past Unemployment and Future Unemployment Risk,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 78(310), pages 283-293, 04.
- Andreas Knabe & Steffen Rätzel, 2008. "Scarring or Scaring? The Psychological Impact of Past Unemployment and Future Unemployment Risk," CESifo Working Paper Series 2457, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andreas Knabe & Steffen Rätzel, 2008. "Scarring or Scaring? The Psychological Impact of Past Unemployment and Future Unemployment Risk," FEMM Working Papers 08013, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Bentham, Jeremy, 1781. "An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number bentham1781.
- Antoci, Angelo & Sacco, Pier Luigi & Vanin, Paolo, 2008. "Participation, growth and social poverty: social capital in a homogeneous society," MPRA Paper 13661, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Akçomak, I. Semih & ter Weel, Bas, 2009.
"Social capital, innovation and growth: Evidence from Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 544-567, July.
- Akçomak, I. Semih & ter Weel, Bas, 2008. "Social Capital, Innovation and Growth: Evidence from Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 3341, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Akcomak, Semih & ter Weel, Bas, 2006. "Social Capital, Innovation and Growth: Evidence from Europe," MERIT Working Papers 040, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Antoci, Angelo & Sacco, Pier Luigi & Vanin, Paolo, 2004.
"Social capital accumulation and the evolution of social partecipation,"
AICCON Working Papers
5-2004, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Antoci, Angelo & Sacco, Pier Luigi & Vanin, Paolo, 2007. "Social capital accumulation and the evolution of social participation," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 128-143, February.
- Philippe Fontaine, 2000. "Making use of the past: theorists and historians on the economics of altruism," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 407-422.
- Clark, Andrew E & Oswald, Andrew J, 1994. "Unhappiness and Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 648-59, May.
- Bartolini, Stefano & Bonatti, Luigi, 2002. "Environmental and social degradation as the engine of economic growth," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-16, November.
- Timothy Conley & Udry Christopher, 2001. "Social Learning Through Networks: The Adoption of New Agricultural Technologies in Ghana," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 668-673.
- Abigail M. Barr, 2002. "The Functional Diversity and Spillover Effects of Social Capital," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 11(1), pages 90-113, March.
- Antoci, Angelo & Bartolini, Stefano, 2004. "Negative externalities, defensive expenditures and labour supply in an evolutionary context," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(05), pages 591-612, October.
- Benz, Matthias & Frey, Bruno S., 2008. "The value of doing what you like: Evidence from the self-employed in 23 countries," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 68(3-4), pages 445-455, December.
- Charles F. Manski, 2000.
"Economic Analysis of Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
7580, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Cornelißen, 2009. "The Interaction of Job Satisfaction, Job Search, and Job Changes. An Empirical Investigation with German Panel Data," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 367-384, June.
- Jonathan Isham, 2002.
"The Effect of Social Capital on Fertilizer Adoption: Evidence from Rural Tanzania,"
Middlebury College Working Paper Series
0225, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Isham, 2002. "The Effect of Social Capital on Fertiliser Adoption: Evidence from Rural Tanzania," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 11(1), pages 39-60, March.
- Carole Uhlaner, 1989. "“Relational goods” and participation: Incorporating sociability into a theory of rational action," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 62(3), pages 253-285, September.
- Knack, Stephen & Keefer, Philip, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-88, November.
- Nava Ashraf & Colin F. Camerer & George Loewenstein, 2005. "Adam Smith, Behavioral Economist," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(3), pages 131-145, Summer.
- Luigino Bruni, 2000. "Ego Facing Alter: How Economists have Depicted Human Interactions," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(2), pages 285-313, 06.
- Axel Franzen, 2003. "Social Capital and the Internet: Evidence from Swiss Panel Data," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 341-360, 08.
- Antoci, Angelo & Bartolini, Stefano, 1999. "Negative externalities as the engine of growth in an evolutionary context," MPRA Paper 13908, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Finbarr Brereton & J. Peter Clinch & Susana Ferreira, 2008. "Employment and Life-Satisfaction: Insights from Ireland," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 39(3), pages 207-234.
- Fabio, Sabatini, 2005. "The empirics of social capital and economic development: a critical perspective," MPRA Paper 2366, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2007.
- Braguinsky, Serguey & Rose, David C., 2009. "Competition, cooperation, and the neighboring farmer effect," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 361-376, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:aiccon:2010_071. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paolo Venturi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.