Does social capital create trust? Evidence from a community of entrepreneurs
Which kind of social capital fosters the diffusion of development-oriented trust? This paper carries out an empirical investigation into the causal relationships connecting four types of social capital (i.e. bonding, bridging, linking, and corporate), and different forms of trust (knowledge-based trust, social trust, trust towards public services and political institutions), in a community of entrepreneurs located in the Italian industrial district of the Tuscia. Our results suggest that the main factors fostering the diffusion of social trust among entrepreneurs are the perception that the local community is a safe place, and the establishment of corporate ties through professional associations. Trust in people is positively and significantly correlated also to higher levels of satisfaction and confidence in public services. Participation in voluntary organizations does not appear to increase trust in people. Rather, we find evidence of the other way round: interpersonal trust seems to encourage civic engagement.
|Date of creation:||12 Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.le della Vittoria, 15 - 47100 Forlì, Italy|
Phone: +39 0543 62327
Fax: +39 0543 374676
Web page: http://www.aiccon.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oguzhan Dincer & Eric Uslaner, 2010.
"Trust and growth,"
Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 59-67, January.
- Sergio Mariotti & Marco Mutinelli & Lucia Piscitello, 2008. "The Internationalization of Production by Italian Industrial Districts' Firms: Structural and Behavioural Determinants," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(5), pages 719-735.
- Durlauf,S.N., 1999. "The case "against" social capital," Working papers 29, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Antoci, Angelo & Sacco, Pier Luigi & Vanin, Paolo, 2007.
"Social capital accumulation and the evolution of social participation,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 128-143, February.
- Antoci, Angelo & Sacco, Pier Luigi & Vanin, Paolo, 2004. "Social capital accumulation and the evolution of social partecipation," AICCON Working Papers 5-2004, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2006. "Social Capital and Labour Productivity in Italy," Working Papers 2006.30, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Fabio, Sabatini, 2005. "The empirics of social capital and economic development: a critical perspective," MPRA Paper 2366, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2007.
- Zak, Paul J & Knack, Stephen, 2001. "Trust and Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(470), pages 295-321, April.
- Sabatini, Fabio, 2009. "Social capital as social networks: A new framework for measurement and an empirical analysis of its determinants and consequences," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 429-442, June.
- Sabatini Fabio, 2007.
"The empirics of social capital and economic development: A critical perspective,"
0031, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2006. "The Empirics of Social Capital and Economic Development: A Critical Perspective," Working Papers 2006.15, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Paola Bertolini & Enrico Giovannetti, 2006. "Industrial districts and internationalization: the case of the agri-food industry in Modena, Italy," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 279-304, July.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2008. "Social Capital and the Quality of Economic Development," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 466-499, 08.
- Coates, Dennis & Heckelman, Jac C, 2003. "Interest Groups and Investment: A Further Test of the Olson Hypothesis," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 117(3-4), pages 333-40, December.
- Alessia Amighini & Roberta Rabellotti, 2004. "How do Italian footwear industrial districts face globalization?," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 485-502, November.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:aiccon:2009_058. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paolo Venturi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.