A Joint Chow Test for Structural Instability
The classical Chow (1960) test for structural instability requires strictly exogenous regressors and a break-point speci ed in advance. In this paper we consider two generalisations, the 1-step recursive Chow test (based on the sequence of studentized recursive residuals) and its supremum counterpart, which relax these requirements. We use results on strong consistency of regression estimators to show that the 1-step test is appropriate for stationary, unit root or explosive processes modelled in the autoregressive distributed lags (ADL) framework. We then use results in extreme value theory to develop a new supremum version of the test, suitable for formal testing of structural instability with an unknown break-point. The test assumes normality of errors, and is intended to be used in situations where this can either be assumed or established empirically.
|Date of creation:||25 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.nuffield.ox.ac.uk/economics/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jurgen A. Doornik & Henrik Hansen, 2008.
"An Omnibus Test for Univariate and Multivariate Normality,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(s1), pages 927-939, December.
- Jurgen A Doornik & Henrik Hansen, . "An omnibus test for univariate and multivariate normalit," Economics Papers W4&91., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Nielsen, Bent & Sohkanen, Jouni S., 2011.
"Asymptotic Behavior Of The Cusum Of Squares Test Under Stochastic And Deterministic Time Trends,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(04), pages 913-927, August.
- Jouni Sohkanen & B. Nielsen, 2009. "Asymptotic behaviour of the CUSUM of squares test under stochastic and deterministic time trends," Economics Papers 2009-W09, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2003.
"Has the Business Cycle Changed and Why?,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2002, Volume 17, pages 159-230
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bauer, Dietmar, 2009. "Almost Sure Bounds On The Estimation Error For Ols Estimators When The Regressors Include Certain Mfi(1) Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 571-582, April.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1982. "Recursive stability analysis of linear regression relationships: An exploratory methodology," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 31-76, May.
- Bengt Assarsson & Claes Berg & Per Jansson, 2004.
"Investment in Swedish manufacturing: Analysis and forecasts,"
Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 261-280, 05.
- Assarsson, Bengt & Berg, Claes & Jansson, Per, 1999. "Investment in Swedish Manufacturing: Analysis and Forecasts," Working Paper Series 95, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Johansen, S., 1999.
"A Bartlett Correction Factor for Tests on the Cointegrating Relations,"
Economics Working Papers
eco99/10, European University Institute.
- Johansen, S ren, 2000. "A Bartlett Correction Factor For Tests On The Cointegrating Relations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(05), pages 740-778, October.
- Davidson, James, 1994. "Stochastic Limit Theory: An Introduction for Econometricians," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774037, December.
- Bent Nielsen & Eric Engler, 2007.
"The empirical process of autoregressive residuals,"
2007-W01, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ploberger, Werner & Kramer, Walter, 1986. "On studentizing a test for structural change," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 341-344.
- Kramer, Walter & Ploberger, Werner & Alt, Raimund, 1988. "Testing for Structural Change in Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1355-69, November.
- Peter Burridge & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2006. "Additive Outlier Detection Via Extreme-Value Theory," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5), pages 685-701, 09.
- Hendry, David F, 1986. "Using PC-GIVE in Econometrics Teaching," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(1), pages 87-98, February.
- Bent Nielsen, 2003.
"Strong consistency results for least squares estimators in general vector autoregressions with deterministic terms,"
2003-W23, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Nielsen, Bent, 2005. "Strong Consistency Results For Least Squares Estimators In General Vector Autoregressions With Deterministic Terms," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(03), pages 534-561, June.
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164, December.
- Kilian, Lutz & Demiroglu, Ufuk, 2000. "Residual-Based Tests for Normality in Autoregressions: Asymptotic Theory and Simulation Evidence," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 40-50, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nuf:econwp:1207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.