The Inter-Related Dynamics of Dual Job Holding, Human Capital and Occupational Choice
The inter-related dynamics of dual job-holding, human capital and occupational choice between primary and secondary jobs are investigated, using a panel sample (1991-2005) of UK employees from the British Household Panel Survey (BHPS). A sequential profile of the working lives of employees is examined, investigating, first, the determinants of multiple job-holding, second, the factors affecting the occupational choice of a secondary job, third, the relationship between multiple-job holding and job mobility and, lastly, the spillover effects of multiple job-holding on occupational mobility between primary jobs. The evidence indicates that dual job-holding may facilitate job transition, as it may act as a stepping-stone towards new primary jobs, particularly self-employment.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as 'Multiple jobholding, Skill diversification and Mobility' in: Industrial Relations, 2014, 53 (2), 223-272|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhongmin Wu & Mark Baimbridge & Yu Zhu, 2009.
"Multiple job holding in the United Kingdom: evidence from the British Household Panel Survey,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(21), pages 2751-2766.
- Zhongmin Wu & Mark Baimbridge & Yu Zhu, 2008. "Multiple job holding in the United Kingdom: evidence from the Bristish household panel survey," Working Papers 2008/1, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
- Mark C. Berger, 1988.
"Predicted Future Earnings and Choice of College Major,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(3), pages 418-429, April.
- Mark C. Berger, 1988. "Predicted future earnings and choice of college major," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(3), pages 418-429, April.
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & Kimmel, Jean, 2005. "Moonlighting Behavior over the Business Cycle," IZA Discussion Papers 1671, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrew M. Jones & José M. Labeaga, 2003. "Individual heterogeneity and censoring in panel data estimates of tobacco expenditure," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 157-177.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Robert Jäckle, 2007.
"Health and Wages - Panel data estimates considering selection and endogeneity,"
Ifo Working Paper Series
Ifo Working Paper No. 43, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Robert Jäckle & Oliver Himmler, 2010. "Health and Wages: Panel Data Estimates Considering Selection and Endogeneity," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 45(2).
- Jäckle, Robert & Himmler, Oliver, 2007. "Health and Wages - Panel data estimates considering selection and endogeneity," MPRA Paper 11578, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2008.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1995. "Selection corrections for panel data models under conditional mean independence assumptions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 115-132, July.
- Heineck, Guido & Schwarze, Johannes, 2004. "Fly Me to the Moon: The Determinants of Secondary Jobholding in Germany and the UK," IZA Discussion Papers 1358, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alessandra Guariglia & Byung-Yeon Kim, 2006. "The dynamics of moonlighting in Russia," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(1), pages 1-45, 03.
- Alexandros Zangelidis, 2008.
"Seniority Profiles in Unionized Workplaces: Do Unions Still have the Edge?,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(3), pages 327-345, 06.
- Alexandros Zangelidis, 2004. "Seniority Profiles In Unionised Workplaces: Do Unions Still Have The Edge?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 48, Royal Economic Society.
- Anastasia Semykina & Jeffrey M. Woodridge, 2010.
"Estimating Panel Data Models in the Presence of Endogeneity and Selection,"
wp2010_10_01, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- Semykina, Anastasia & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2010. "Estimating panel data models in the presence of endogeneity and selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 375-380, August.
- Helen Robinson & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2007. "Impact Of The Minimum Wage On The Incidence Of Second Job Holding In Britain," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 54(4), pages 553-574, 09.
- Christina H. Paxson & Nachum Sicherman, 1994.
"The Dynamics of Dual-Job Holding and Job Mobility,"
NBER Working Papers
4968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Renna, 2006. "Moonlighting and Overtime: A Cross-Country Analysis," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 27(4), pages 575-591, October.
- Kambourov, Gueorgui & Manovskii, Iourii, 2004.
"Occupational Mobility and Wage Inequality,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1189, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Klapper, Leora F. & Panos, Georgios A., 2009. "Entrepreneurship in post-conflict transition : the role of informality and access to finance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4935, The World Bank.
- Montmarquette, Claude & Cannings, Kathy & Mahseredjian, Sophie, 2002.
"How do young people choose college majors?,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 543-556, December.
- Kathy Cannings & Sophie Mahseredjian & Claude Montmarquette, 1997. "How Do Young People Choose College Majors ?," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-38, CIRANO.
- Montmarquette, C. & Cannings, C. & Mahseredjian,S., 1997. "How do Young People Choose College Majors?," Cahiers de recherche 9719, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- MONTMARQUETTE, Claude & CANNINGS, Kathy & MAHSEREDJIAN, Sophie, 1997. "How do Young People Choose College Majors?," Cahiers de recherche 9719, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Alessandra Guariglia & Byung-Yeon Kim, 2004. "Earnings uncertainty, precautionary saving, and moonlighting in Russia," Journal of Population Economics, European Society for Population Economics, vol. 17(2), pages 289-310, 06.
- Alexandros Zangelidis, 2008. "Occupational And Industry Specificity Of Human Capital In The British Labour Market," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 55(4), pages 420-443, 09.
- Mark Partridge, 2002. "Moonlighting in a High Growth Economy: Evidence from U.S. State-Level Data," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(4), pages 424-452.
- Ekaterini Kyriazidou, 1997. "Estimation of a Panel Data Sample Selection Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1335-1364, November.
- David Neumark, 2000. "Changes in Job Stability and Job Security: A Collective Effort to Untangle, Reconcile, and Interpret the Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7472, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Dustmann & María Engracia Rochina-Barrachina, 2007. "Selection correction in panel data models: An application to the estimation of females' wage equations," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(2), pages 263-293, 07.
- Bell, David & Hart, Robert A & Wright, Robert E, 1997. "Multiple Job Holding as a 'Hedge' Against Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1626, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boskin, Michael J, 1974. "A Conditional Logit Model of Occupational Choice," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(2), pages 389-98, Part I, M.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Smith Conway, Karen & Kimmel, Jean, 1998. "Male labor supply estimates and the decision to moonlight," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 135-166, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp4437. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.