And in the Evening She's a Singer with the Band – Second Jobs, Plight or Pleasure?
We describe the dynamics of second job holding in Britain during the 1990s using panel data from the British Household Panel Survey. Our results show that second job holding is surprisingly persistent over time – about 10% of workers have a second job at any point in time while two thirds of second job holders remain in second jobs for at least two consecutive years. We find that negative financial shocks trigger second job holding, and that second jobs are not a measure to smooth labour supply over time. Heterogeneous main job characteristics are more important than hours constraints in determining second job holding.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Kimmel & Karen Smith Conway, 1995. "Who Moonlights and Why?: Evidence from the SIPP," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 95-40, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Bell, David & Hart, Robert A & Wright, Robert E, 1997. "Multiple Job Holding as a 'Hedge' Against Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1626, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- BÃ¶heim, RenÃ© & Taylor, Mark P., 2001.
"Actual and preferred working hours,"
ISER Working Paper Series
2001-06, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- RenÈ B–heim & Mark P. Taylor, 2003.
"Option Or Obligation? The Determinants Of Labour Supply Preferences In Britain,"
University of Manchester, vol. 71(2), pages 113-131, 03.
- BÃ¶heim, RenÃ© & Taylor, Mark P., 2001. "Option or obligation? The determinants of labour supply preferences in Britain," ISER Working Paper Series 2001-05, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Smith Conway, Karen & Kimmel, Jean, 1998. "Male labor supply estimates and the decision to moonlight," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 135-166, June.
- Johannes Schwarze & Guido Heineck, 2001. "Auswirkungen der Einführung der Sozialversicherungspflicht für geringfügige Beschäftigung: eine Evaluation des "630-DM-Jobs"-Reformgesetzes," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 257, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christina H. Paxson & Nachum Sicherman, 1994.
"The Dynamics of Dual-Job Holding and Job Mobility,"
NBER Working Papers
4968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1081. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.