Do Vocational High School Graduates Have Better Employment Outcomes than General High School Graduates?
This paper estimates the causal effect of vocational high school (VHS) education on employment likeli-hood relative to general high school (GHS) education in Turkey using census data. To address non-random selection into high school types, we collect construction dates of the VHSs at the town-level and use VHS availability in the town by age 13 as an instrumental variable. The first-stage estimates suggest that the availability of VHS does not affect the overall high school graduation rates, but gener-ates a substitution from GHS to VHS. The OLS estimates yield the result that the individuals with a VHS degree are around 5 percentage points more likely to be employed compared to those with a GHS de-gree. When we use the availability of VHS as an instrumental variable, we still find positive and statisti-cally significant effect of VHS degree on employment likelihood relative to GHS degree. However, once we include town-specific socio-economic variables to control for education, employment, and business activity levels in the town, the IV estimates get much smaller and become statistically insignificant. We conclude that although the VHS construction generates a substitution from GHS to VHS education, this substitution is not transformed into increased employment rates in a statistically significant way. We also argue that location-specific controls improve the reliability of the school construction/proximity instruments.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Toru Kitagawa, 2015. "A Test for Instrument Validity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 83(5), pages 2043-2063, 09.
- David Card, 2000.
"Estimating the Return to Schooling: Progress on Some Persistent Econometric Problems,"
NBER Working Papers
7769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David, 2001. "Estimating the Return to Schooling: Progress on Some Persistent Econometric Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(5), pages 1127-1160, September.
- Kahyarara, Godius & Teal, Francis, 2008.
"The Returns to Vocational Training and Academic Education: Evidence from Tanzania,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2223-2242, November.
- Godius Kahyarara & Francis Teal, 2008. "The returns to vocational training and academic education: Evidence from Tanzania," CSAE Working Paper Series 2008-07, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Mane, Ferran, 1999.
"Trends in the payoff to academic and occupation-specific skills: the short and medium run returns to academic and vocational high school courses for non-college-bound students,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 417-437, October.
- Mane, F., 1998. "Trends in the Payoff to Academic and Occupation-Specific Skills: The Short and Midium Run Returns to Academic and Vocational High School Courses for Non-College Bound Students," Papers 98-07, Cornell - Center for Advanced Human Resource Studies.
- repec:oxf:wpaper:wps/2008-07 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joseph G. Altonji, 1995.
"The Effects of High School Curriculum on Education and Labor Market Outcomes,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(3), pages 409-438.
- Joseph G. Altonji, 1992. "The Effects of High School Curriculum on Education and Labor Market Outcomes," NBER Working Papers 4142, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrén, Thomas & Gustafsson, Björn, 2002.
"Income effects from labor market training programs in Sweden during the 80's and 90's,"
Working Paper Series
2002:15, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Andrén, Thomas & Gustafsson, Björn Anders, 2002. "Income Effects from Labor Market Training Programs in Sweden During the 80’s and 90’s," IZA Discussion Papers 603, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrén, Thomas & Gustafsson, Björn, 2002. "Income Effects from Labor Market Training Programs in Sweden During the 80’s and 90’s," Working Papers in Economics 81, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Pugatch, Todd, 2012.
"Safety Valve or Sinkhole? Vocational Schooling in South Africa,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7015, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Todd Pugatch, 2014. "Safety valve or sinkhole? Vocational schooling in South Africa," IZA Journal of Labor & Development, Springer;Forschungsinstitut zur Zukunft der Arbeit GmbH (IZA), vol. 3(1), pages 1-31, December.
- David Card, 1993.
"Using Geographic Variation in College Proximity to Estimate the Return to Schooling,"
NBER Working Papers
4483, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card, 1993. "Using Geographic Variation in College Proximity to Estimate the Return to Schooling," Working Papers 696, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- David Card & Pablo Ibarrarán & Ferdinando Regalia & David Rosas-Shady & Yuri Soares, 2011. "The Labor Market Impacts of Youth Training in the Dominican Republic," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(2), pages 267-300.
- repec:fth:prinin:317 is not listed on IDEAS
- Loyalka,Prashant Kumar & Huang,Xiaoting & Zhang,Linxiu & Wei,Jianguo & Yi,Hongmei & Song,Yingquan & Shi,Yaojiang & Chu,James, 2015.
"The impact of vocational schooling on human capital development in developing countries : evidence from China,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
7396, The World Bank.
- Prashant Loyalka & Xiaoting Huang & Linxiu Zhang & Jianguo Wei & Hongmei Yi & Yingquan Song & Yaojiang Shi & James Chu, 2016. "The Impact of Vocational Schooling on Human Capital Development in Developing Countries: Evidence from China," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 30(1), pages 143-170.
- Werner Eichhorst & NÃºria RodrÃguez-Planas & Ricarda Schmidl & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2015. "A Road Map to Vocational Education and Training in Industrialized Countries," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 68(2), pages 314-337, March.
- Kane, Thomas J & Rouse, Cecilia Elena, 1995. "Labor-Market Returns to Two- and Four-Year College," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 600-614, June.
- Orazio Attanasio & Adriana Kugler & Costas Meghir, 2011. "Subsidizing Vocational Training for Disadvantaged Youth in Colombia: Evidence from a Randomized Trial," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 188-220, July.
- Andrew Horowitz & Christoph Schenzler, 1999. "Returns to General, Technical and Vocational Education in Developing Countries:recent evidence from Suriname," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 5-20.
- Pema, Elda & Mehay, Stephen, 2012. "Career effects of occupation-related vocational education: Evidence from the military's internal labor market," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 680-693.
- repec:pri:indrel:dsp01fb494842g is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp10507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.