Bootstrapping and Bartlett corrections in the cointegrated VAR model
The small sample properties of tests on long-run coefficients in cointegrated systems are still a matter of concern to applied econometricians. We compare the performance of the Bartlett correction, the bootstrap and the fast double bootstrap for tests on cointegration parameters in the maximum likelihood framework. We show by means of a theorical result and simulations that all three procedures should be based on the unrestricted estimate of the cointegration vectors. The fast double bootstrap delivers superior size correction, whereas the Bartlett correction leads to the least loss of power. However all three perform much better than the asymptotic tests and difference between them are small.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Ravasi 2-21100 Varese|
Web page: http://www.uninsubria.it/uninsubria/facolta/econo.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bent Nielsen, 1995.
"Bartlett correction of the unit root test in autoregressive models,"
11 & 98., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Nielsen, B., 1995. "Bartlett Correction of the Unit Root test in Autoregressive Models," Economics Papers 98, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Karim Abadir & Kaddour Hadri & Elias Tzavalis, "undated".
"The Influence of VAR Dimensions on Estimator Biases,"
96/14, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Karim M. Abadir & Kaddour Hadri & Elias Tzavalis, 1999. "The Influence of VAR Dimensions on Estimator Biases," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 163-182, January.
- Johansen, S., 1999.
"A Bartlett Correction Factor for Tests on the Cointegrating Relations,"
Economics Working Papers
eco99/10, European University Institute.
- Johansen, S ren, 2000. "A Bartlett Correction Factor For Tests On The Cointegrating Relations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(05), pages 740-778, October.
- Davidson, James, 2006. "Alternative bootstrap procedures for testing cointegration in fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 741-777, August.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Atsushi Inoue & Lutz Kilian, 2002.
"Bootstrapping Autoregressive Processes with Possible Unit Roots,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 377-391, January.
- Atsushi Inoue & Lutz Kilian, 2000. "Bootstrapping Autoregressive Processes with Possible Unit Roots," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0401, Econometric Society.
- Haug, Alfred A., 1996.
"Tests for cointegration a Monte Carlo comparison,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 89-115.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Gredenhoff, Mikael & Jacobson, Tor, 2001. "Bootstrap Testing Linear Restrictions on Cointegrating Vectors," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(1), pages 63-72, January.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 2000. "Improving the Reliability of Bootstrap Tests," Working Papers 995, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Jeremy Berkowitz & Lutz Kilian, "undated".
"Recent Developments in Bootstrapping Time Series,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1996-45, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bewley, R. & Orden, D. & Fisher, L., 1991. "Box TIAO and Johansen Canonical Estimators of Cointegrating Vectors," Papers 91-5, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Chang, Yoosoon & Sickles, Robin & Song, Wonho, 2001. "Bootstrapping Unit Root Tests with Covariates," Working Papers 2001-07, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Bewley, Ronald & Orden, David & Yang, Minxian & Fisher, Lance A., 1994. "Comparison of Box--Tiao and Johansen canonical estimators of cointegrating vectors in VEC(1) models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 3-27.
- Fachin, Stefano, 2000. " Bootstrap and Asymptotic Tests of Long-Run Relationships in Cointegrated Systems," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(4), pages 543-551, September.
- Jensen, J. L. & Wood, Andrew T. A., 1997. "On the non-existence of a Bartlett correction for unit root tests," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 181-187, September.
- Li, Hongyi & Maddala, G. S., 1997.
"Bootstrapping cointegrating regressions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 297-318, October.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to demonstrate bootstrapping with cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00021, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ins:quaeco:qf0212. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Segreteria Dipartimento)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.