Is Monetary Discipline a Precondition for the Effectiveness of Iran's Export Promotion Policies?
In the last decade, Iranian authorities have implemented a number of trade reforms and export stimulating policies. They have also tried to stabilize the dollar exchange rate and eliminate the black market premium. These policies have had little, if any, lasting favourable effect on non-oil exports. One conjecture may be based on the inconsistency of their monetary policy: as money supply is used independently-without any regard for trade reforms and export promoting policies-to accommodate government's fiscal needs, its inflationary consequences undermine export incentives. We use 1982:Q1-2000:Q2 data to estimate the response of exports to a one-off rise in money supply and find that the results support the above conjecture. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dundee, DD1 4HN|
Phone: (01382) 344375
Fax: (01382) 344691
Web page: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/econman/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faini, Ricardo, 1988.
"Export supply, capacity, and relative prices,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
123, The World Bank.
- Barlow, Robin & Senses, Fikret, 1995. "The Turkish export boom: Just reward or just lucky?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 111-133, October.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S, 1978. "The Supply and Demand for Exports: A Simultaneous Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 275-86, May.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2003.
"Geography and Export Performance: External Market Access and Internal Supply Capacity,"
NBER Working Papers
9637, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony Venables, 2004. "Geography and Export Performance: External Market Access and Internal Supply Capacity," NBER Chapters, in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 95-130 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Redding, Stephen J. & Venables, Anthony J, 2003. "Geography and Export Performance: External Market Access and Internal Supply Capacity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3807, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jai S. Mah, 2003. "The Export Insurance System and Export Supply of Britain," Working papers 2003-44, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Miles, Marc A, 1979. "The Effects of Devaluation on the Trade Balance and the Balance of Payments: Some New Results," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(3), pages 600-620, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dun:dpaper:165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrzej Kwiatkowski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.