Export supply, capacity, and relative prices
In the neoclassical approach to specifying an export supply equation, relative prices and capacity are assumed to play a crucial role in domestic firms'decisions to supply exports. In the Keynesian approach, the willingness of domestic firms to supply foreign markets is considered to be largely a function of domestic demand pressure. Keynesian analyses do not allow for the impact of relative prices. This paper blends the two approaches in a model,in which a firm is assumed to choose, first, the level of productive capacity and, then, one period later, to determine production and allocation between foreign and domestic markets on the basis of realized prices, demand conditions, and installed capacity. The conclusion: both prices and capacity are significant determinants of export supply.
|Date of creation:||30 Nov 1988|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ulrich R. Kohli, 1978. "A Gross National Product Function and the Derived Demand for Imports and Supply of Exports," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 11(2), pages 167-82, May.
- Dunlevy, James A, 1980. "A Test of the Capacity Pressure Hypothesis within a Simultaneous Equations Model of Export Performance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(1), pages 131-35, February.
- Haynes, Stephen E & Stone, Joe A, 1983. "Specification of Supply Behavior in International Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(4), pages 626-32, November.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1986. "Export Supply and Import Demand Functions: A Production Theory Approach," NBER Working Papers 2011, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S, 1978. "The Supply and Demand for Exports: A Simultaneous Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 275-86, May.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1984. "Econometric Issues in the Analysis of Regressions with Generated Regressors," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 221-47, February.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1985. "Model selection test procedures in a single linear equation of a dynamic simultaneous system and their defects in small samples," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 327-362, June.
- Marian E. Bond, 1985. "Export Demand and Supply for Groups of Non-Oil Developing Countries (La demande et l'offre d'exportations dans diffÃ©rents groupes de pays en dÃ©veloppement non pÃ©troliers) (Demanda y oferta de expor," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(1), pages 56-77, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.