Export supply, capacity and relative prices
In the neoclassical approach to specifying an export supply equation, relative prices and capacity are assumed to play a crucial role in domestic firms'decisions to supply exports. In the Keynesian approach, the willingness of domestic firms to supply foreign markets is considered to be largely a function of domestic demand pressure. Keynesian analyses do not allow for the impact of relative prices. This paper blends the two approaches in a model,in which a firm is assumed to choose, first, the level of productive capacity and, then, one period later, to determine production and allocation between foreign and domestic markets on the basis of realized prices, demand conditions, and installed capacity. The conclusion: both prices and capacity are significant determinants of export supply.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1986. "Export Supply and Import Demand Functions: A Production Theory Approach," NBER Working Papers 2011, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1985. "Model selection test procedures in a single linear equation of a dynamic simultaneous system and their defects in small samples," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 327-362, June.
- Marian E. Bond, 1985. "Export Demand and Supply for Groups of Non-Oil Developing Countries (La demande et l'offre d'exportations dans diffÃ©rents groupes de pays en dÃ©veloppement non pÃ©troliers) (Demanda y oferta de expor," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(1), pages 56-77, March.
- Haynes, Stephen E & Stone, Joe A, 1983. "Specification of Supply Behavior in International Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(4), pages 626-632, November.
- Dunlevy, James A, 1980. "A Test of the Capacity Pressure Hypothesis within a Simultaneous Equations Model of Export Performance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(1), pages 131-135, February.
- Ulrich R. Kohli, 1978. "A Gross National Product Function and the Derived Demand for Imports and Supply of Exports," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 11(2), pages 167-182, May.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1984. "Econometric Issues in the Analysis of Regressions with Generated Regressors," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 221-247, February.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S, 1978. "The Supply and Demand for Exports: A Simultaneous Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 275-286, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:deveco:v:45:y:1994:i:1:p:81-100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.