“Horn Of Plenty” Revisited: The Globalization Of Mediterranean Horticulture And The Economic Development Of Spain, 1850-1935
This paper analizes the impact of the globalization of Mediterranean horticultural products (MHP). From 1850 onwards, the Mediterranean countries took advantage of the new opportunities that arose to increase their production and trade in MHP. The Spanish case shows how the high elasticity of supply with respect to prices helps to explain the enormous increase of its production and trade in MHP, that became the most dynamic sector of Spanish agriculture. The analysis of the counterfactual case of the non-existence of US MHP emphasizes the cost of this increasing competition to the traditional producers from the end of the nineteenth century.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aehe.es|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Findlay & K. H. O'Rourke, 2001.
"Commodity market integration, 1500-2000,"
CEG Working Papers
20019, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Findlay, Ronald & O'Rourke, Kevin Hjortshøj, 2002. "Commodity Market Integration 1500-2000," CEPR Discussion Papers 3125, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ronald Findlay & Kevin H. O'Rourke, 2001. "Commodity Market Integration, 1500-2000," NBER Working Papers 8579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Findlay & K. H. O'Rourke, 2001. "Commodity market integration, 1500-2000," Trinity Economics Papers 200113, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2003.
"Geography and Export Performance: External Market Access and Internal Supply Capacity,"
NBER Working Papers
9637, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony Venables, 2004. "Geography and Export Performance: External Market Access and Internal Supply Capacity," NBER Chapters, in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 95-130 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Redding, Stephen J. & Venables, Anthony J, 2003. "Geography and Export Performance: External Market Access and Internal Supply Capacity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3807, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Vernon Henderson, Zmarak Shalizi, and Anthony J. Venables, 2001.
"Geography and development,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 81-105, January.
- Venables, Anthony J. & Limao, Nuno, 2002.
"Geographical disadvantage: a Heckscher-Ohlin-von Thunen model of international specialisation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 239-263, December.
- Limão, Nuno & Venables, Anthony J, 1999. "Geographical Disadvantage: A Heckscher-Ohlin-Von Thunen model of International Specialization," CEPR Discussion Papers 2305, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Venables, Anthony J. & Limao, Nuno, 1999. "Geographical disadvantage - a Heckscher-Ohlin-von Thunen model of international specialization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2256, The World Bank.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- O'Rourke, Kevin H., 1997.
"The European Grain Invasion, 1870–1913,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 57(04), pages 775-801, December.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Harley, C.K., 1988.
"Ocean Freight Rates And Productivity, 1740-1913: The Primacy Of Mechanical Invention Reaffirmed,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
8802, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Harley, C. Knick, 1988. "Ocean Freight Rates and Productivity, 1740–1913: The Primacy of Mechanical Invention Reaffirmed," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 48(04), pages 851-876, December.
- Metzer,Jacob, 1998. "The Divided Economy of Mandatory Palestine," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521465502, November.
- Kevin H. O'Rourke & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2001. "Globalization and History: The Evolution of a Nineteenth-Century Atlantic Economy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262650592, December.
- Pinilla, Vicente & Ayuda, Maria-Isabel, 2002. "The political economy of the wine trade: Spanish exports and the international market, 1890 1935," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 51-85, April.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S, 1978. "The Supply and Demand for Exports: A Simultaneous Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 275-86, May.
- Rhode, Paul W., 1995. "Learning, Capital Accumulation, and the Transformation of California Agriculture," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 55(04), pages 773-800, December.
- Strauß, Hubert, 2002. "Multivariate Cointegration Analysis of Aggregate Exports: Empirical Evidence for the United States, Canada, and Germany," Kiel Working Papers 1101, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ahe:dtaehe:0606. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Estrella Trincado Aznar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.