Traceability Adoption at the Farm Level: An Empirical Analysis of the Portuguese Pear Industry
Traceability is becoming a condition for doing business in European food markets. Retailers are adopting standards that are more stringent than what is mandatory. An example is EurepGAP, a quality standard for good agricultural practices that includes traceability as a main requirement. We analyze EurepGAP implementation in the Portuguese pear industry and find that implementation cannot be distinguished from sales to British supermarkets. Discrete choice models show the odds of traceability adoption increase with farm size and previous compliance with quality assurance schemes, while farm productivity has a negative impact on the probability of adoption.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henson, Spencer & Reardon, Thomas, 2005. "Private agri-food standards: Implications for food policy and the agri-food system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 241-253, June.
- Cristina Mora & Davide Menozzi, 2005. "Vertical contractual relations in the Italian beef supply chain," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 213-235.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1998. "The Nature of the Farm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 343-386, October.
- Meuwissen, Miranda P.M. & Velthuis, Annet G.J. & Hogeveen, Henk & Huirne, Ruud B.M., 2003. "Traceability And Certification In Meat Supply Chains," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 21(2).
- Claude Ménard, 2005.
"New institutions for governing the agri-food industry,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(3), pages 421-440, September.
- Claude Ménard & Egizio Valceschini, 2005. "New Institutions for Governing the Agri-food Industry," Post-Print halshs-00276876, HAL.
- Jill E. Hobbs & DeeVon Bailey & David L. Dickinson & Morteza Haghiri, 2005. "Traceability in the Canadian Red Meat Sector: Do Consumers Care?," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 53(1), pages 47-65, March.
- Fulponi, Linda, 2006. "Private voluntary standards in the food system: The perspective of major food retailers in OECD countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Giraud-Heraud, Eric & Hammoudi, Abdelhakim & Soler, Louis-Georges, 2005. "Retailer-led Regulation of Food Safety : Back to Spot Markets?," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24544, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Huffman, Wallace E & Mercier, Stephanie, 1991.
"Joint Adoption of Microcomputer Technologies: An Analysis of Farmers' Decisions,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 541-546, August.
- Huffman, Wallace & Mercier, S., 1991. "Joint Adoption of Microcomputer Technologies: An Analysis of Farmers' Decisions," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10989, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Golan, Elise H. & Krissoff, Barry & Kuchler, Fred & Calvin, Linda & Nelson, Kenneth E. & Price, Gregory K., 2004. "Traceability In The U.S. Food Supply: Economic Theory And Industry Studies," Agricultural Economics Reports 33939, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Sterns, Patricia Aust & Codron, Jean-Marie & Reardon, Thomas, 2001. "Quality And Quality Assurance In The Fresh Produce Sector: A Case Study Of European Retailers," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20494, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Buhr, Brian L., 2003. "Traceability And Information Technology In The Meat Supply Chain: Implications For Firm Organization And Market Structure," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 34(03), November.
- Goldsmith, Peter D., 2004. "Traceability And Identity Preservation Policy: Private Initiatives Vs. Public Intervention," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20167, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sunding, David & Zilberman, David, 2001. "The agricultural innovation process: Research and technology adoption in a changing agricultural sector," Handbook of Agricultural Economics,in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 207-261 Elsevier.
- Wim Verbeke, 2005. "Agriculture and the food industry in the information age," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(3), pages 347-368, September.
- Banterle, Alessandro & Stranieri, Stefanella & Baldi, Lucia, 2006. "Voluntary Traceability and Transaction Costs: An Empirical Analysis in the Italian Meat Processing Supply Chain," 99th Seminar, February 8-10, 2006, Bonn, Germany 7722, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Scott E. Masten & Stéphane Saussier, 2000. "Econometrics of Contracts : an Assessment of Developments in the Empirical Literature on Contracting," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 92(1), pages 215-236.
- Hatanaka, Maki & Bain, Carmen & Busch, Lawrence, 2005. "Third-party certification in the global agrifood system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 354-369, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)