Does traceability play a role in retailer’s strategies for private labels?
Traceability is helping retailers manage food safety risks and support product differentiation. This paper aims to investigate how traceability may be used to screen supplier for private labels dedicated provider pools. Retailers in the UK and Italy have several private label product lines and increasingly select dedicated suppliers. The choice of providers is a typical agency problem as retailers contract the production for their private labels, having incomplete information on types and effort of their suppliers. Different contracts must be designed for suppliers of private labels depending on position of the product line and its food safety risk. A case study, based on the second largest Italian retailer reveals that traceability and quality assurance schemes are used together to manage suppliers of private labels
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aes.ac.uk/Email: |
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christophe Charlier & Egizio Valceschini, 2008.
"Coordination for traceability in the food chain. A critical appraisal of European regulation,"
European Journal of Law and Economics,
Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Christophe Charlier & Egizio Valceschini, 2007. "Coordination for traceability in the food chain: A critical appraisal of European regulation," Working Papers 20667, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Golan, Elise H. & Krissoff, Barry & Kuchler, Fred & Calvin, Linda & Nelson, Kenneth E. & Price, Gregory K., 2004. "Traceability In The U.S. Food Supply: Economic Theory And Industry Studies," Agricultural Economics Reports 33939, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Caswell, Julie A., 1998. "How Labeling Of Safety And Process Attributes Affects Markets For Food," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 27(2), October.
- Banterle, Alessandro & Stranieri, Stefanella, 2008. "The consequences of voluntary traceability system for supply chain relationships. An application of transaction cost economics," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 560-569, December.
- Alessandro Banterle & Stefanella Stranieri, 2008. "Information, labelling, and vertical coordination: an analysis of the Italian meat supply networks," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(3), pages 320-331.
- Henson, Spencer & Reardon, Thomas, 2005. "Private agri-food standards: Implications for food policy and the agri-food system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 241-253, June.
- Spencer Henson & James Northen, 2000. "Consumer Assessment of the Safety of Beef at the Point of Purchase: A Pan-European Study," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 90-105.
- Hatanaka, Maki & Bain, Carmen & Busch, Lawrence, 2005. "Third-party certification in the global agrifood system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 354-369, June.
- Diogo M. Souza-Monteiro & Julie A. Caswell, 2010. "The Economics of Voluntary Traceability in Multi-Ingredient Food Chains," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(1), pages 122-142.
- Souza Monteiro, Diogo M. & Caswell, Julie A., 2009.
"Traceability adoption at the farm level: An empirical analysis of the Portuguese pear industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 94-101, February.
- Souza Monteiro, Diogo M. & Caswell, Julie A., 2006. "Traceability Adoption at the Farm Level: An Empirical Analysis of the Portuguese Pear Industry," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21132, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hobbs, Jill E., 2004. "Traceability in the Canadian Red Meat Sector," Economic and Market Information 55304, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aesc09:50933. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.