Explaining the Emergence of Private Standards in Food Supply Chains
This paper provides an original theoretical framework to better understand the raise of private standards in agrifood chains. Reasons for the emergence and conditions for the effectiveness of private standards are identified, by investigating retailers' strategic behaviour and, more precisely, both interactions among retailers and upstream producers and the role of consumer behaviour vis-àvis the food safety risk. We show that a relatively strict Minimum Quality Standard (MQS) may incentive the retailer to develop an even more demanding private standard, when market-driven incentive is relatively high; this result crucially depends on consumer risk misperception. Setting a private standard may improve market access for upstream producers. In addition, it may reduce food safety risk and, at the same time, improve consumer surplus.
|Date of creation:||07 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00749345|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdelhakim Hammoudi & Ruben Hoffmann & Yves Surry, 2009. "Food safety standards and agri-food supply chains: an introductory overview," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 36(4), pages 469-478, December.
- Reardon, Thomas & Codron, Jean-Marie & Busch, Lawrence & Bingen, R. James & Harris, Craig, 1999. "Global Change In Agrifood Grades And Standards: Agribusiness Strategic Responses In Developing Countries," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 2(03/04).
- Fares, M'hand & Rouviere, Elodie, 2010. "The implementation mechanisms of voluntary food safety systems," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 412-418, October.
- Eric Giraud‐Héraud & Abdelhakim Hammoudi & Ruben Hoffmann & Louis‐Georges Soler, 2012. "Joint Private Safety Standards and Vertical Relationships in Food Retailing," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 179-212, 03.
- Lutz, Stefan & Lyon, Thomas P & Maxwell, John W, 2000. "Quality Leadership When Regulatory Standards Are Forthcoming," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 331-48, September.
- P. Garella & P. Petrakis, 2004.
"Minimum Quality Standards and ConsumersÕ Information,"
532, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Paolo Garella & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2008. "Minimum quality standards and consumers’ information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 283-302, August.
- Paolo G. GARELLA & Emmanuel PETRAKIS, 2007. "Minimum quality standards and consumers’ information," Departmental Working Papers 2007-12, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Paolo Garella & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2005. "Minimum Quality Standards and Consumers Information," Working Papers 0510, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Scarpa, Carlo, 1998. "Minimum quality standards with more than two firms1," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 665-676, September.
- Crampes, C. & Hollander, A., 1991.
"Duopoly and Quality Standards,"
Cahiers de recherche
9128, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Giulio Ecchia & Luca Lambertini, 1995.
"Minimum Quality Standards and Collusion,"
235, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Jill E. Hobbs, 2004. "Information asymmetry and the role of traceability systems," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 397-415.
- Jennifer Brown & John A. L. Cranfield & Spencer Henson, 2005. "Relating Consumer Willingness-to-Pay for Food Safety to Risk Tolerance: An Experimental Approach," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 53(2-3), pages 249-263, 06.
- A. Mitchell Polinsky & William P. Rogerson, 1983.
"Products Liability, Consumer Misperceptions, and Market Power,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 581-589, Autumn.
- A. Mitchell Polinsky & William P. Rogerson, 1982. "Products Liability, Consumer Misperceptions, and Market Power," NBER Working Papers 0937, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miet Maertens & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2006.
"Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
17706, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 161-178, January.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007. "Trade, Standards and Poverty. Evidence from Senegal," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7924, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Spencer Henson & James Northen, 1998. "Economic determinants of food safety controls in supply of retailer own-branded products in United Kingdom," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 113-126.
- Maxwell, John W., 1998. "Minimum quality standards as a barrier to innovation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 355-360, March.
- Klaus G. Grunert, 2005. "Food quality and safety: consumer perception and demand," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(3), pages 369-391, September.
- Éric Giraud-Héraud & Lamia Rouached & Louis-Georges Soler, 2006. "Private labels and public quality standards: How can consumer trust be restored after the mad cow crisis?," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 31-55, March.
- Kleinwechter, Ulrich & Grethe, Harald, 2006. "The adoption of the Eurepgap Standard by Mango Exporters in Piura, Peru," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25521, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2007. "A choice experiment model for beef: What US consumer responses tell us about relative preferences for food safety, country-of-origin labeling and traceability," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 496-514, August.
- Tian Xia & Richard J. Sexton, 2004. "The Competitive Implications of Top-of-the-Market and Related Contract-Pricing Clauses," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 124-138.
- Isaac Maina Kariuki & Jens‐Peter Loy & Thomas Herzfeld, 2012. "Farmgate Private Standards and Price Premium: Evidence From the GlobalGAP Scheme in Kenya's French Beans Marketing," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(1), pages 42-53, 01.
- Hatanaka, Maki & Bain, Carmen & Busch, Lawrence, 2005. "Third-party certification in the global agrifood system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 354-369, June.
- Misra, Sukant K. & Huang, Chung L. & Ott, Stephen L., 1991. "Consumer Willingness To Pay For Pesticide-Free Fresh Produce," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- Henson, Spencer & Reardon, Thomas, 2005. "Private agri-food standards: Implications for food policy and the agri-food system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 241-253, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00749345. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.