Firms' adoption of international standards: Evidence from the Ethiopian floriculture sector
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Mulu Gebreeyesus, 2015. "Firm adoption of international standards: evidence from the Ethiopian floriculture sector," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 46(S1), pages 139-155, November.
References listed on IDEAS
- Deepananda Herath & Zuhair Hassan & Spencer Henson, 2007. "Adoption of Food Safety and Quality Controls: Do Firm Characteristics Matter? Evidence from the Canadian Food Processing Sector," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(3), pages 299-314, September.
- Mulu Gebreeyesus & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2012.
"Global Value Chains and Market Formation Process in Emerging Export Activity: Evidence from Ethiopian Flower Industry,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(3), pages 335-348, September.
- Mulu Gebreeyesus & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2011. "Global Value Chains and Market Formation Process in Emerging Export Activity: Evidence from Ethiopian Flower Industry," GRIPS Discussion Papers 11-13, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009.
"Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 161-178, January.
- Miet Maertens & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2006. "Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal," LICOS Discussion Papers 17706, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007. "Trade, Standards and Poverty. Evidence from Senegal," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7924, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Evans, David S, 1987. "Tests of Alternative Theories of Firm Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(4), pages 657-674, August.
- C. Dolan & J. Humphrey, 2000. "Governance and Trade in Fresh Vegetables: The Impact of UK Supermarkets on the African Horticulture Industry," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 147-176.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael, 2010. "The role of standards in global value chains," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5396, The World Bank.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-298, January.
- Christopher R. Turner & Gerald F. Ortmann & Michael C. Lyne, 2000. "Adoption of ISO 9000 quality assurance standards by South African agribusiness firms," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 295-307.
- Souza Monteiro, Diogo M. & Caswell, Julie A., 2009.
"Traceability adoption at the farm level: An empirical analysis of the Portuguese pear industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 94-101, February.
- Souza Monteiro, Diogo M. & Caswell, Julie A., 2006. "Traceability Adoption at the Farm Level: An Empirical Analysis of the Portuguese Pear Industry," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21132, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jill E. Hobbs, 1997. "Measuring the Importance of Transaction Costs in Cattle Marketing," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1083-1095.
- Henson, Spencer & Masakure, Oliver & Cranfield, John, 2011. "Do Fresh Produce Exporters in Sub-Saharan Africa Benefit from GlobalGAP Certification?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 375-386, March.
- Sanja Pekovic, 2010. "The Determinants of ISO 9000 Certification: A Comparison of the Manufacturing and Service Sectors," Journal of Economic Issues, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 895-914.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-1171, September.
- Gourlay, Adrian & Pentecost, Eric, 2002. "The Determinants of Technology Diffusion: Evidence from the UK Financial Sector," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(2), pages 185-203, March.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Kersting, Sarah & Wollni, Meike, 2012. "New institutional arrangements and standard adoption: Evidence from small-scale fruit and vegetable farmers in Thailand," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 452-462.
- Hall, Bronwyn H, 1987.
"The Relationship between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 583-606, June.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 1986. "The Relationship Between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," NBER Working Papers 1965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Muradian, Roldan & Pelupessy, Wim, 2005. "Governing the coffee chain: The role of voluntary regulatory Systems," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2029-2044, December.
- Hudson, John & Orviska, Marta, 2013. "Firms’ adoption of international standards: One size fits all?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 289-306.
- Henderson, Rebecca. & Cockburn, Iain., 1994. "Measuring competence? : exploring firm effects in pharmaceutical research," Working papers 3712-94., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Gebreeyesus Mulu & Iizuka Michiko, 2012. "Discovery of Flower Industry in Ethiopia: Experimentation and Coordination," Journal of Globalization and Development, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-27, January.
- Handschuch, Christina & Wollni, Meike & Villalobos, Pablo, 2013. "Adoption of food safety and quality standards among Chilean raspberry producers – Do smallholders benefit?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 64-73.
- John M. Antle, 1995. "Choice and Efficiency in Food Safety Policy," Books, American Enterprise Institute, number 53485.
- Mano, Yukichi & Yamano, Takashi & Suzuki, Aya & Matsumoto, Tomoya, 2011.
"Local and Personal Networks in Employment and the Development of Labor Markets: Evidence from the Cut Flower Industry in Ethiopia,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1760-1770.
- Yukichi Mano & Takashi Yamano & Aya Suzuki & Tomoya Matsumoto, 2011. "Local and Personal Networks in Employment and the Development of Labor Markets:Evidence from the Cut Flower Industry in Ethiopia," GRIPS Discussion Papers 10-29, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Holleran, Erin & Bredahl, Maury E. & Zaibet, Lokman, 1999. "Private incentives for adopting food safety and quality assurance," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 669-683, December.
- Riisgaard, Lone, 2009. "Global Value Chains, Labor Organization and Private Social Standards: Lessons from East African Cut Flower Industries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 326-340, February.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:afe:journl:v:19:y:2017:i:1:p:61-83 is not listed on IDEAS
- Goedhuys, Micheline & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 2016.
"International standards certification, institutional voids and exports from developing country firms,"
International Business Review,
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1344-1355.
- Goedhuys, Micheline & Sleuwagen, Leo, 2016. "International standards certification, institutional voids and exports from developing country firms," MERIT Working Papers 021, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Calza, Elisa & Goedhuys, Micheline, 2016. "Entrepreneurial heterogeneity and the design of entrepreneurship policies for economic growth and inclusive development," MERIT Working Papers 043, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Micheline Goedhuys & Pierre Mohnen, 2017.
"Management Standard Certification and Firm productivity: Micro-evidence from Africa,"
Journal of African Development,
African Finance and Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 61-83.
- Goedhuys, Micheline & Mohnen, Pierre, 2016. "Management standard certification and firm productivity: micro-evidence from Africa," MERIT Working Papers 012, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Elisa Calza & Micheline Goedhuys & Neda Trifkovic, 2017. "Drivers of productivity in Vietnamese SMEs: The role of management standards and innovation," WIDER Working Paper Series 068, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
More about this item
Keywordsstandards; compatibility; product quality; certification; agriculture; floriculture exports; international trade; estate farms; Ethiopia; Africa;
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
- O19 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2014-06-02 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2014-06-02 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2014-06-02 (All new papers)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2014007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/meritnl.html .