Firms' adoption of international standards: Evidence from the Ethiopian floriculture sector
Global trade in agriculture and food products is increasingly governed by an array of standards. A survey conducted in 2010 covering all operational firms in the nascent floriculture industry in Ethiopia revealed that only 36 per cent have managed to acquire certification for international private standards. This study uses a census-based panel dataset from Ethiopian floriculture to empirically examine the determinants of firms adoption of international private standards. It also analyses overall industry level efforts and public-private partnership to launch and implement a national scheme for Good Agricultural Practice and build firms capacity to comply with the standards. Key words standards, certification, floriculture exports, estate farms, Ethiopia, Africa
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mulu Gebreeyesus & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2012.
"Global Value Chains and Market Formation Process in Emerging Export Activity: Evidence from Ethiopian Flower Industry,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(3), pages 335-348, September.
- Mulu Gebreeyesus & Tetsushi Sonobe, 2011. "Global Value Chains and Market Formation Process in Emerging Export Activity: Evidence from Ethiopian Flower Industry," GRIPS Discussion Papers 11-13, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Hudson, John & Orviska, Marta, 2013. "Firms’ adoption of international standards: One size fits all?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 289-306.
- Kersting, Sarah & Wollni, Meike, 2012. "New institutional arrangements and standard adoption: Evidence from small-scale fruit and vegetable farmers in Thailand," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 452-462.
- Yukichi Mano & Takashi Yamano & Aya Suzuki & Tomoya Matsumoto, 2011.
"Local and Personal Networks in Employment and the Development of Labor Markets:Evidence from the Cut Flower Industry in Ethiopia,"
GRIPS Discussion Papers
10-29, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Mano, Yukichi & Yamano, Takashi & Suzuki, Aya & Matsumoto, Tomoya, 2011. "Local and Personal Networks in Employment and the Development of Labor Markets: Evidence from the Cut Flower Industry in Ethiopia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1760-1770.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-71, September.
- Christopher R. Turner & Gerald F. Ortmann & Michael C. Lyne, 2000. "Adoption of ISO 9000 quality assurance standards by South African agribusiness firms," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 295-307.
- Riisgaard, Lone, 2009. "Global Value Chains, Labor Organization and Private Social Standards: Lessons from East African Cut Flower Industries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 326-340, February.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Henson, Spencer & Masakure, Oliver & Cranfield, John, 2011. "Do Fresh Produce Exporters in Sub-Saharan Africa Benefit from GlobalGAP Certification?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 375-386, March.
- Souza Monteiro, Diogo M. & Caswell, Julie A., 2009.
"Traceability adoption at the farm level: An empirical analysis of the Portuguese pear industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 94-101, February.
- Souza Monteiro, Diogo M. & Caswell, Julie A., 2006. "Traceability Adoption at the Farm Level: An Empirical Analysis of the Portuguese Pear Industry," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21132, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Gebreeyesus Mulu & Iizuka Michiko, 2012. "Discovery of Flower Industry in Ethiopia: Experimentation and Coordination," Journal of Globalization and Development, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-27, January.
- Henderson, Rebecca. & Cockburn, Iain., 1994. "Measuring competence? : exploring firm effects in pharmaceutical research," Working papers 3712-94., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007.
"Trade, Standards and Poverty. Evidence from Senegal,"
106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France
7924, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 161-178, January.
- Miet Maertens & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2006. "Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal," LICOS Discussion Papers 17706, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael, 2010. "The role of standards in global value chains," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5396, The World Bank.
- John M. Antle, 1995. "Choice and Efficiency in Food Safety Policy," Books, American Enterprise Institute, number 53485, October.
- Muradian, Roldan & Pelupessy, Wim, 2005. "Governing the coffee chain: The role of voluntary regulatory Systems," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2029-2044, December.
- Gourlay, Adrian & Pentecost, Eric, 2002. "The Determinants of Technology Diffusion: Evidence from the UK Financial Sector," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(2), pages 185-203, March.
- Hall, Bronwyn H, 1987.
"The Relationship between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 583-606, June.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 1986. "The Relationship Between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," NBER Working Papers 1965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jill E. Hobbs, 1997. "Measuring the Importance of Transaction Costs in Cattle Marketing," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1083-1095.
- Sanja Pekovic, 2010. "The Determinants of ISO 9000 Certification: A Comparison of the Manufacturing and Service Sectors," Journal of Economic Issues, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(4), pages 895-914, December.
- Evans, David S, 1987.
"Tests of Alternative Theories of Firm Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(4), pages 657-74, August.
- Deepananda Herath & Zuhair Hassan & Spencer Henson, 2007. "Adoption of Food Safety and Quality Controls: Do Firm Characteristics Matter? Evidence from the Canadian Food Processing Sector," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(3), pages 299-314, 09.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Holleran, Erin & Bredahl, Maury E. & Zaibet, Lokman, 1999. "Private incentives for adopting food safety and quality assurance," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 669-683, December.
- C. Dolan & J. Humphrey, 2000. "Governance and Trade in Fresh Vegetables: The Impact of UK Supermarkets on the African Horticulture Industry," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 147-176.
- Handschuch, Christina & Wollni, Meike & Villalobos, Pablo, 2013. "Adoption of food safety and quality standards among Chilean raspberry producers – Do smallholders benefit?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 64-73.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2014007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.