Estimating High-Frequency Based (Co-) Variances: A Unified Approach
We propose a unified framework for estimating integrated variances and covariances based on simple OLS regressions, allowing for a general market microstructure noise specification. We show that our estimators can outperform, in terms of the root mean squared error criterion, the most recent and commonly applied estimators, such as the realized kernels of Barndorff-Nielsen, Hansen, Lunde & Shephard (2006), the two-scales realized variance of Zhang, Mykland & Aït-Sahalia (2005), the Hayashi & Yoshida (2005) covariance estimator, and the realized variance and covariance with the optimal sampling frequency derived in Bandi & Russell (2005a) and Bandi & Russell (2005b). For a realistic trading scenario, the efficiency gains resulting from our approach are in the range of 35% to 50%.
|Date of creation:||10 Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Peter R. & Lunde, Asger, 2006. "Realized Variance and Market Microstructure Noise," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 127-161, April.
- Ole E Barndorff-Nielsen & Peter Hansen & Asger Lunde & Neil Shephard, 2006.
"Designing realised kernels to measure the ex-post variation of equity prices in the presence of noise,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2006fe05, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Peter Reinhard Hansen & Asger Lunde & Neil Shephard, 2008. "Designing Realized Kernels to Measure the ex post Variation of Equity Prices in the Presence of Noise," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(6), pages 1481-1536, November.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Peter Reinhard Hansen & Asger Lunde & Neil Shephard, 2006. "Designing realised kernels to measure the ex-post variation of equity prices in the presence of noise," Economics Papers 2006-W03, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Valeri Voev & Asger Lunde, 2007. "Integrated Covariance Estimation using High-frequency Data in the Presence of Noise," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 5(1), pages 68-104.
- Lan Zhang & Per A. Mykland & Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 2003.
"A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility with Noisy High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
10111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhang, Lan & Mykland, Per A. & Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 2005. "A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility With Noisy High-Frequency Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1394-1411, December.
- Griffin, Jim E. & Oomen, Roel C.A., 2011. "Covariance measurement in the presence of non-synchronous trading and market microstructure noise," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 58-68, January.
- Christensen, Kim & Podolskij, Mark, 2007. "Realized range-based estimation of integrated variance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 323-349, December.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Mykland, Per A. & Zhang, Lan, 2005.
"Ultra high frequency volatility estimation with dependent microstructure noise,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2005,30, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Aït-Sahalia, Yacine & Mykland, Per A. & Zhang, Lan, 2011. "Ultra high frequency volatility estimation with dependent microstructure noise," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 160-175, January.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Per A. Mykland & Lan Zhang, 2005. "Ultra High Frequency Volatility Estimation with Dependent Microstructure Noise," NBER Working Papers 11380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia, 2005.
"How Often to Sample a Continuous-Time Process in the Presence of Market Microstructure Noise,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(2), pages 351-416.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Per A. Mykland, 2003. "How Often to Sample a Continuous-Time Process in the Presence of Market Microstructure Noise," NBER Working Papers 9611, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2008-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.