Estimation of quarticity with high-frequency data
We propose a new methodology based on Fourier analysis to estimate the fourth power of the volatility function (spot quarticity) and, as a byproduct, the integrated function. We prove the consistency of the proposed estimator of the integrated quarticity. Further, we analyse its efficiency in the presence of microstructure noise, from both a theoretical and empirical viewpoint. Extensions to higher powers of volatility and to the multivariate case are also discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 12 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RQUF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RQUF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria Elvira Mancino & Simona Sanfelici, 2011. "Estimating Covariance via Fourier Method in the Presence of Asynchronous Trading and Microstructure Noise," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(2), pages 367-408, Spring.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Shephard, 2002.
"Econometric analysis of realized volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(2), pages 253-280.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2000. "Econometric analysis of realised volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models," Economics Papers 2001-W4, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, revised 05 Jul 2001.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1989.
"An Econometric Analysis of Nonsynchronous Trading,"
NBER Working Papers
2960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo & Craig A. MacKinlay, "undated". "An Econometric Analysis of Nonsyschronous-Trading," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 19-89, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Fulvio Corsi & Davide Pirino & Roberto Reno', 2010.
"Threshold Bipower Variation and the Impact of Jumps on Volatility Forecasting,"
LEM Papers Series
2010/11, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Corsi, Fulvio & Pirino, Davide & Renò, Roberto, 2010. "Threshold bipower variation and the impact of jumps on volatility forecasting," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 276-288, December.
- Fulvio Corsi & Davide Pirino & Roberto Renò, 2010. "Threshold bipower variation and the impact of jumps on volatility forecasting," Post-Print hal-00741630, HAL.
- Torben G. Andersen & Dobrislav Dobrev & Ernst Schaumburg, 2011.
"A Functional Filtering and Neighborhood Truncation Approach to Integrated Quarticity Estimation,"
NBER Working Papers
17152, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Dobrislav Dobrev & Ernst Schaumburg, 2011. "A Functional Filtering and Neighborhood Truncation Approach to Integrated Quarticity Estimation," CREATES Research Papers 2011-23, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Jim Gatheral & Roel Oomen, 2010. "Zero-intelligence realized variance estimation," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 249-283, April.
- Maria Elvira Mancino & Paul Malliavin, 2002. "Fourier series method for measurement of multivariate volatilities," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 49-61.
- Mancino, M.E. & Sanfelici, S., 2008. "Robustness of Fourier estimator of integrated volatility in the presence of microstructure noise," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 2966-2989, February.
- Jacod, Jean & Li, Yingying & Mykland, Per A. & Podolskij, Mark & Vetter, Mathias, 2007.
"Microstructure noise in the continuous case: the pre-averaging approach,"
2007,41, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Jacod, Jean & Li, Yingying & Mykland, Per A. & Podolskij, Mark & Vetter, Mathias, 2009. "Microstructure noise in the continuous case: The pre-averaging approach," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(7), pages 2249-2276, July.
- Jiang, George J. & Oomen, Roel C.A., 2008. "Testing for jumps when asset prices are observed with noise-a "swap variance" approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 352-370, June.
- Mark Podolskij & Mathias Vetter, 2007.
"Estimation of Volatility Functionals in the Simultaneous Presence of Microstructure Noise and Jumps,"
CREATES Research Papers
2007-27, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Vetter, Mathias & Podolskij, Mark, 2006. "Estimation of Volatility Functionals in the Simultaneous Presence of Microstructure Noise and Jumps," Technical Reports 2006,51, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1998. "Answering the Skeptics: Yes, Standard Volatility Models Do Provide Accurate Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 885-905, November.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Ebens, Heiko, 2001. "The distribution of realized stock return volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 43-76, July.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Zhang, Lan & Mykland, Per A. & Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 2005.
"A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility With Noisy High-Frequency Data,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1394-1411, December.
- Lan Zhang & Per A. Mykland & Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 2003. "A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility with Noisy High Frequency Data," NBER Working Papers 10111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:quantf:v:12:y:2012:i:4:p:607-622. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.