Production and financial linkages in inter-firm networks: structural variety, risk-sharing and resilience
The paper analyzes how (production and financial) inter-firm networks can affect firms’ default probabilities and observed default rates. A simple theoretical model of shock transfer is built to investigate some stylized facts on how firm-idiosyncratic shocks are allocated in the network, and how this allocation changes firm default probabilities. The model shows that the network works as a perfect “risk-pooling” mechanism, when it is both strongly connected and symmetric. But the “risk-sharing” does not necessarily reduce default rates, unless the shock firms face is lower on average than their financial capacity. Conceived as cases of symmetric inter-firm networks, industrial districts might have a comparative disadvantage in front of heavy crises. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
Volume (Year): 22 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00191/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Gubert, Flore, 2007.
"The formation of risk sharing networks,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 326-350, July.
- Gubert, Flore & Fafchamps, Marcel, 2007. "The Formation of Risk Sharing Networks," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4392, Paris Dauphine University.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Flore Gubert, 2005. "The Formation of Risk Sharing Networks," Working Papers DT/2005/13, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Marcel Fafchamps & Flore Gubert, 2005. "The Formation of Risk Sharing Networks," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-037, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2008.
"Is the 2007 US Sub-Prime Financial Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison,"
11129156, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Is the 2007 U.S. Sub-Prime Financial Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(3), pages 291-299, September.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008. "Is the 2007 US Sub-prime Financial Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 339-44, May.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008. "Is the 2007 U.S. Sub-Prime Financial Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison," NBER Working Papers 13761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iori, Giulia & Jafarey, Saqib & Padilla, Francisco G., 2006. "Systemic risk on the interbank market," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 525-542, December.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, .
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
CRSP working papers
322, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Francis Bloch (GREQAM and Universite de la Mediterranee), Garance Genicot (Georgetown University, and Debraj Ray (New York University and Instituto de Analisis Economico (CSIC)), 2004.
"Informal Insurance in Social Networks,"
gueconwpa~04-04-16, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Mauro Gallegati & Bruce Greenwald & Matteo Richiardi & Joseph Stiglitz, 2007.
"The Asymmetric Effect of Diffusion Processes: Risk Sharing and Contagion,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
71, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Gallegati Mauro & Greenwald Bruce & Richiardi Matteo G & Stiglitz Joseph E., 2008. "The Asymmetric Effect of Diffusion Processes: Risk Sharing and Contagion," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 8(3), pages 1-22, September.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvo-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2005.
"Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: the Key Player,"
NajEcon Working Paper Reviews
- Ballester, Coralio & Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Zenou, Yves, 2005. "Who’s Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player," CEPR Discussion Papers 5329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2004. "Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player," Working Papers 178, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Carbonara, Nunzia & Giannoccaro, Ilaria & Pontrandolfo, Pierpaolo, 2002. "Supply chains within industrial districts: A theoretical framework," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 159-176, March.
- Ron A. Boschma, 2002. "Knowledge, Market Structure, and Economic Coordination: Dynamics of Industrial Districts," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 291-311.
- Anne ter Wal & Ron A. Boschma, 2007.
"Co-evolution of firms, industries and networks in space,"
Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG)
0707, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Aug 2007.
- Anne Ter Wal & Ron Boschma, 2011. "Co-evolution of Firms, Industries and Networks in Space," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 919-933.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Nier, Erlend & Yang, Jing & Yorulmazer, Tanju & Alentorn, Amadeo, 2007.
"Network models and financial stability,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 2033-2060, June.
- Zwiebel, Jeffrey H. & Vayanos, Dimitri & DeMarzo, Peter M., 2001.
"Persuasion Bias, Social Influence, and Uni-Dimensional Opinions,"
1719, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Peter M. Demarzo & Dimitri Vayanos & Jeffrey Zwiebel, 2003. "Persuasion Bias, Social Influence, And Unidimensional Opinions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 909-968, August.
- Peter M. DeMarzo & Dimitri Vayanos & Jeffrey Zwiebel, 2003. "Persuasion bias, social influence, and uni-dimensional opinions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 454, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Battiston, Stefano & Delli Gatti, Domenico & Gallegati, Mauro & Greenwald, Bruce & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2012.
"Liaisons dangereuses: Increasing connectivity, risk sharing, and systemic risk,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1121-1141.
- Stefano Battiston & Domenico Delli Gatti & Mauro Gallegati & Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2009. "Liaisons Dangereuses: Increasing Connectivity, Risk Sharing, and Systemic Risk," NBER Working Papers 15611, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goyal, Sanjeev & Joshi, Sumit, 2003.
"Networks of collaboration in oligopoly,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 57-85, April.
- Goyal, S. & Joshi, S., 2000. "Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9952-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Sumit Joshi, 2000. "Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0623, Econometric Society.
- Albino, Vito & Carbonara, Nunzia & Giannoccaro, Ilaria, 2007. "Supply chain cooperation in industrial districts: A simulation analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(1), pages 261-280, February.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Henning & Ron Boschma & Karl-Johan Lundquist & Lars-Olof Olander, 2011. "The Dynamics of Agglomeration Externalities along the Life Cycle of Industries," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(1), pages 49-65.
- Dunia López-Pintado, 2004.
"Diffusion In Complex Social Networks,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2004-33, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Roberto Frenkel & Martin Rapetti, 2009. "A developing country view of the current global crisis: what should not be forgotten and what should be done," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 685-702, July.
- Ottati, Gabi Dei, 1994. "Trust, Interlinking Transactions and Credit in the Industrial District," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(6), pages 529-46, December.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"The Aftermath of Financial Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
14656, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Brioschi & Maria Sole Brioschi & Giulio Cainelli, 2002. "From the industrial district to the district group: An insight into the evolution of capitalism in italy1," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1037-1052.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2008. "Global Banking and Local Markets," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 4, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Pietro ALESSANDRINI & Andrea PRESBITERO & Alberto ZAZZARO, 2008. "Banche e Imprese nei Distretti Industriali," Working Papers 309, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Albino, Vito & Carbonara, Nunzia & Giannoccaro, Ilaria, 2006. "Innovation in industrial districts: An agent-based simulation model," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 30-45, November.
- Bennett Harrison, 2007. "Industrial Districts: Old Wine in New Bottles? (Volume 26, Number 5, 1992)," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(sup1), pages S107-S121.
- Orsenigo, L. & Pammolli, F. & Riccaboni, Massimo, 2001. "Technological change and network dynamics: Lessons from the pharmaceutical industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 485-508, March.
- Gianpaolo Abatecola, 2009. "Crisis in the European Automobile Industry: An “Organizational Adaptation” Perspective," DSI Essays Series, DSI - Dipartimento di Studi sull'Impresa, vol. 5.
- Elisa Ughetto, 2009. "Industrial districts and financial constraints to innovation," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(5), pages 597-624.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joevec:v:22:y:2012:i:4:p:711-734. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.