Production and financial linkages in inter-firm networks: structural variety, risk-sharing and resilience
The paper analyzes how (production and financial) inter-firm networks can affect firms’ default probabilities and observed default rates. A simple theoretical model of shock transfer is built to investigate some stylized facts on how firm-idiosyncratic shocks are allocated in the network, and how this allocation changes firm default probabilities. The model shows that the network works as a perfect “risk-pooling” mechanism, when it is both strongly connected and symmetric. But the “risk-sharing” does not necessarily reduce default rates, unless the shock firms face is lower on average than their financial capacity. Conceived as cases of symmetric inter-firm networks, industrial districts might have a comparative disadvantage in front of heavy crises. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 22 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/191/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008.
"Is the 2007 US Sub-prime Financial Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 339-44, May.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Is the 2007 U.S. Sub-Prime Financial Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(3), pages 291-299, September.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2008.
"¿Es tan diferente la crisis financiera de sub-prime en EEUU? Una comparacion historica internacional
[“Is The 2007 U.S. Subprime Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison,”]," MPRA Paper 13656, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2008. "Is the 2007 US Sub-Prime Financial Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison," Scholarly Articles 11129156, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008. "Is the 2007 U.S. Sub-Prime Financial Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison," NBER Working Papers 13761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Brioschi & Maria Sole Brioschi & Giulio Cainelli, 2002. "From the industrial district to the district group: An insight into the evolution of capitalism in italy1," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1037-1052.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Flore Gubert, 2005.
"The Formation of Risk Sharing Networks,"
DT/2005/13, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Francis Bloch & Garance Genicot, 2005.
"Informal Insurance in Social Networks,"
2005 Meeting Papers
156, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Francis Bloch (GREQAM and Universite de la Mediterranee), Garance Genicot (Georgetown University, and Debraj Ray (New York University and Instituto de Analisis Economico (CSIC)), 2004. "Informal Insurance in Social Networks," Working Papers gueconwpa~04-04-16, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Gary A. Dymski, 2010. "A Spatialized Approach to Asset Bubbles and Minsky Crises," Chapters, in: The Elgar Companion to Hyman Minsky, chapter 12 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Battiston, Stefano & Delli Gatti, Domenico & Gallegati, Mauro & Greenwald, Bruce & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2012.
"Liaisons dangereuses: Increasing connectivity, risk sharing, and systemic risk,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1121-1141.
- Stefano Battiston & Domenico Delli Gatti & Mauro Gallegati & Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2009. "Liaisons Dangereuses: Increasing Connectivity, Risk Sharing, and Systemic Risk," NBER Working Papers 15611, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anne ter Wal & Ron A. Boschma, 2007.
"Co-evolution of firms, industries and networks in space,"
Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG)
0707, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Aug 2007.
- Anne Ter Wal & Ron Boschma, 2011. "Co-evolution of Firms, Industries and Networks in Space," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 919-933.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2009.
"The Aftermath of Financial Crises,"
11129155, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. "The Aftermath of Financial Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 7209, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "The Aftermath of Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 14656, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2008.
"Las secuelas de las crisis financieras
[The aftermath of financial crisis]," MPRA Paper 13695, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- López-Pintado, Dunia, 2008.
"Diffusion in complex social networks,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 573-590, March.
- Nier, Erlend & Yang, Jing & Yorulmazer, Tanju & Alentorn, Amadeo, 2008.
"Network models and financial stability,"
Bank of England working papers
346, Bank of England.
- Carbonara, Nunzia & Giannoccaro, Ilaria & Pontrandolfo, Pierpaolo, 2002. "Supply chains within industrial districts: A theoretical framework," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 159-176, March.
- Mauro Gallegati & Bruce Greenwald & Matteo Richiardi & Joseph Stiglitz, 2007.
"The Asymmetric Effect of Diffusion Processes: Risk Sharing and Contagion,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
71, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Gallegati Mauro & Greenwald Bruce & Richiardi Matteo G & Stiglitz Joseph E., 2008. "The Asymmetric Effect of Diffusion Processes: Risk Sharing and Contagion," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 8(3), pages 1-22, September.
- Peter M. DeMarzo & Dimitri Vayanos & Jeffrey Zwiebel, 2003.
"Persuasion Bias, Social Influence, and Unidimensional Opinions,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 118(3), pages 909-968.
- Zwiebel, Jeffrey H. & Vayanos, Dimitri & DeMarzo, Peter M., 2001. "Persuasion Bias, Social Influence, and Uni-Dimensional Opinions," Research Papers 1719, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Peter M. DeMarzo & Dimitri Vayanos & Jeffrey Zwiebel, 2003. "Persuasion bias, social influence, and uni-dimensional opinions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 454, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, .
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
CRSP working papers
322, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Ottati, Gabi Dei, 1994. "Trust, Interlinking Transactions and Credit in the Industrial District," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(6), pages 529-46, December.
- Ballester, Coralio & Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Zenou, Yves, 2005.
"Who’s Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2004. "Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player," Working Papers 178, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvo-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2005. "Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: the Key Player," NajEcon Working Paper Reviews 666156000000000586, www.najecon.org.
- Ron A. Boschma, 2002. "Knowledge, Market Structure, and Economic Coordination: Dynamics of Industrial Districts," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 291-311.
- Albino, Vito & Carbonara, Nunzia & Giannoccaro, Ilaria, 2006. "Innovation in industrial districts: An agent-based simulation model," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 30-45, November.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Henning & Ron Boschma & Karl-Johan Lundquist & Lars-Olof Olander, 2011. "The Dynamics of Agglomeration Externalities along the Life Cycle of Industries," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(1), pages 49-65.
- Iori, Giulia & Jafarey, Saqib & Padilla, Francisco G., 2006. "Systemic risk on the interbank market," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 525-542, December.
- Gianpaolo Abatecola, 2009. "Crisis in the European Automobile Industry: An “Organizational Adaptation” Perspective," DSI Essays Series, DSI - Dipartimento di Studi sull'Impresa, vol. 5.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Roberto Frenkel & Martin Rapetti, 2009. "A developing country view of the current global crisis: what should not be forgotten and what should be done," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 685-702, July.
- Orsenigo, L. & Pammolli, F. & Riccaboni, Massimo, 2001. "Technological change and network dynamics: Lessons from the pharmaceutical industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 485-508, March.
- Pietro ALESSANDRINI & Andrea PRESBITERO & Alberto ZAZZARO, 2008. "Banche e Imprese nei Distretti Industriali," Working Papers 309, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Goyal, S. & Joshi, S., 2000.
"Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 9952-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2008. "Global Banking and Local Markets," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 4, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4392 is not listed on IDEAS
- Albino, Vito & Carbonara, Nunzia & Giannoccaro, Ilaria, 2007. "Supply chain cooperation in industrial districts: A simulation analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(1), pages 261-280, February.
- Sumit Joshi, 2000.
"Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0623, Econometric Society.
- Elisa Ughetto, 2009. "Industrial districts and financial constraints to innovation," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(5), pages 597-624.
- Bennett Harrison, 2007. "Industrial Districts: Old Wine in New Bottles? (Volume 26, Number 5, 1992)," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(sup1), pages S107-S121.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joevec:v:22:y:2012:i:4:p:711-734. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.