Diffusion In Complex Social Networks
This paper studies the problem of spreading a product (an idea or a technology) among agents in a social network. An agent obtains the product with a probability that depends on the spreading rate (or degree of contagion) of the product as well as on the behaviour of the agent?s neighbours. This paper shows, using a mean field approach, that there exists a threshold for the spreading rate that shapes the pattern of the product?s diffusion. This threshold, that depends on the network structure and the mechanism of contagion, determines whether the product spreads and becomes persistent or it does not spread and vanishes.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ellison, Glenn, 1993.
"Learning, Local Interaction, and Coordination,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(5), pages 1047-71, September.
- Lawrence Blume, 1993.
"The Statistical Mechanics of Best-Response Strategy Revision,"
Game Theory and Information
9307001, EconWPA, revised 26 Jan 1994.
- Blume Lawrence E., 1995. "The Statistical Mechanics of Best-Response Strategy Revision," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 111-145, November.
- Dunia López-Pintado, 2006. "Contagion and coordination in random networks," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 371-381, October.
- Dunia Lopez Pintado, 2007.
"The Spread of Free-Riding Behavior in a Social Network,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
718.07, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Dunia L�pez-Pintado, 2008. "The Spread of Free-Riding Behavior in a Social Network," Eastern Economic Journal, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(4), pages 464-479.
- H. Peyton Young & Mary A. Burke, 2001. "Competition and Custom in Economic Contracts: A Case Study of Illinois Agriculture," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 559-573, June.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1995.
"Crime and Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
5026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward E. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1995. "Crime and Social Interactions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1738, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Anderlini, Luca & Ianni, Antonella, 1996.
"Path Dependence and Learning from Neighbors,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 141-177, April.
- Jackson, Matthew O. & Yariv, Leeat, 2006.
"Diffusion of Behavior and Equilibrium Properties in Network Games,"
1264, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Leeat Yariv, 2007. "Diffusion of Behavior and Equilibrium Properties in Network Games," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 92-98, May.
- Benaim, Michel & Weibull, Jörgen W., 2000.
"Deterministic Approximation of Stochastic Evolution in Games,"
Working Paper Series
534, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 30 Oct 2001.
- Michel BenaÔm & J–rgen W. Weibull, 2003. "Deterministic Approximation of Stochastic Evolution in Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 873-903, 05.
- Jackson Matthew O. & Rogers Brian W., 2007. "Relating Network Structure to Diffusion Properties through Stochastic Dominance," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-16, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2004-33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.