Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly
In an oligopoly, prior to choosing quantities/prices, each firm has an opportunity to form pair-wise collaborative links with other firms. These pair-wise links lower costs of production of the firms which form a link. The collection of pair-wise links defines a collaboration network. We study stable and efficient networks under different types of market competition. We find that except under extreme competition, a la Bertrand, firms have an incentive to collaborate wit their competitors to lower costs of production. We find that two simple architectures, the complete network, where every firm has a collaboration link with every other firm, and the network with a dominant group, which contains a large number of completely connected firms and several isolated firms, are stable under different market conditions. We also observe that stable networks are often efficient from a social point of view.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dutta, B. & van den Nouweland, C.G.A.M. & Tijs, S.H., 2003.
"Link formation in cooperative situations,"
Other publications TiSEM
840ac1d0-9e23-41a7-832e-8, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Dutta, B. & van den Nouweland, C.G.A.M. & Tijs, S.H., 1995. "Link formation in cooperative situations," Discussion Paper 1995-35, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dutta, B. & van den Nouweland, C.G.A.M. & Tijs, S.H., 1998. "Link formation in cooperative situations," Other publications TiSEM fb302bdf-f6ab-4909-99d5-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 1995.
"A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks,"
1098R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988.
"Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-37, December.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis, . "Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers," CORE Discussion Papers RP -823, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Yi, Sang-Seung, 1997. "Stable Coalition Structures with Externalities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 201-237, August.
- Debraj Ray & Rajiv Vohra, 1998.
"A Theory of Endogenous Coalition Structures,"
98-1, Brown University, Department of Economics, revised Jan 1998.
- Francis Bloch, 1995. "Endogenous Structures of Association in Oligopolies," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(3), pages 537-556, Autumn.
- Kamien, Morton I & Muller, Eitan & Zang, Israel, 1992. "Research Joint Ventures and R&D Cartels," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1293-306, December.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1995.
"Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1997. "Public Policy towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 642-62, September.
- D Leahy & J.P. Neary, 1995. "Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0270, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Sumit Joshi, 2006.
"Bilateralism And Free Trade,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(3), pages 749-778, 08.
- Sang-Seung Yi, 1998. "Endogenous Formation of Joint Ventures with Efficiency Gains," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(3), pages 610-631, Autumn.
- Ray, Debraj & Vohra, Rajiv, 1997.
"Equilibrium Binding Agreements,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 30-78, March.
- Suzumura, Kotaro, 1992. "Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in an Oligopoly with Spillovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1307-20, December.
- Prokop, Jacek, 1999. "Process of dominant-cartel formation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 241-257, February.
- Bloch, Francis, 1996. "Sequential Formation of Coalitions in Games with Externalities and Fixed Payoff Division," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 90-123, May.
- Sumit Joshi & Sanjeev Goyal, 1999. "Collaboration and Competition in Networks," Working papers 64, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1976. "Graphs and Cooperation in Games," Discussion Papers 246, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:wc2000:0623. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.