Banks, industrial relatedness and firms’ investments
In this paper, we study whether industrial relatedness affects firms’ fixed investment behaviour, and whether this relationship is linked also to the operational and organizational proximity between banks and local economies. By estimating different specifications of a dynamic investment equation on an unbalanced panel of Italian manufacturing firms for the period 2000-2007, we find that industrial relatedness boosts fixed investments by lowering their sensitivity to cash flow. This occurs because in technologically related areas banks benefit from lower screening and monitoring costs, easier re-allocation of property rights, and higher likelihood of establishing extended credit relationships with firms. However, we find also that the positive effect of industrial relatedness on investments disappears as the functional distance between local branches and their headquarters increases: more hierarchical and less embedded banks find it more difficult to collect tacit information on inter-firm production and financial linkages at the local level and therefore reduce credit provision.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:||Jan 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://econ.geo.uu.nl
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pietro ALESSANDRINI & Andrea PRESBITERO & Alberto ZAZZARO, 2007.
"Bank Size or Distance: What Hampers Innovation Adoption by SMEs ?,"
304, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea F. Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2010. "Bank size or distance: what hampers innovation adoption by SMEs?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(6), pages 845-881, November.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2008. "Bank Size or Distance: What Hampers Innovation Adoption by SMEs?," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 2, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 2001.
"Small business credit availability and relationship lending: the importance of bank organizational structure,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2001-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 2002. "Small Business Credit Availability and Relationship Lending: The Importance of Bank Organisational Structure," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(477), pages F32-F53, February.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea F. Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2009. "Banks, Distances and Firms' Financing Constraints," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 13(2), pages 261-307.
- Ignacio Hernando & Carmen Martínez-Carrascal, 2003. "The impact of financial variables on firms' real decisions: evidence from Spanish firm-level data," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0319, Banco de Espa�a.
- Giulio Cainelli & Sandro Montresor & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2010.
"Production and financial linkages in inter-firm networks: structural variety, risk-sharing and resilience,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
1017, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Giulio Cainelli & Sandro Montresor & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2012. "Production and financial linkages in inter-firm networks: structural variety, risk-sharing and resilience," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 711-734, September.
- Giulio Cainelli & Sandro Montresor & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2010. "Production and financial linkages in inter-firm networks: structural variety, risk-sharing and resilience," Openloc Working Papers 1018, Public policies and local development.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, .
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model,"
W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Xavier Giroud, 2013. "Proximity and Investment: Evidence from Plant-Level Data," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 128(2), pages 861-915.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2000.
"Does Distance Still Matter? The Information Revolution in Small Business Lending,"
NBER Working Papers
7685, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2002. "Does Distance Still Matter? The Information Revolution in Small Business Lending," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2533-2570, December.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Koen Frenken & Frank Van Oort & Thijs Verburg, 2007. "Related Variety, Unrelated Variety and Regional Economic Growth," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 685-697.
- Ottati, Gabi Dei, 1994. "Trust, Interlinking Transactions and Credit in the Industrial District," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(6), pages 529-46, December.
- Bean, Charles R, 1981. "An Econometric Model of Manufacturing Investment in the UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(361), pages 106-21, March.
- Hart, Oliver, 1995. "Firms, Contracts, and Financial Structure," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288817, March.
- Kaplan, Steven N & Zingales, Luigi, 1997. "Do Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities Provide Useful Measures of Financing Constraints," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 169-215, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:egu:wpaper:1402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.