Broken Chain? AGOA and Foreign Direct Investment in the Kenyan Clothing Industry
Summary Drawing upon survey and interview research covering 23 of an estimated total of 35 clothing manufacturing establishments operating in Kenya as well as interviews with the policy community, this paper examines the local economic development impacts associated with the recent AGOA-prompted re-birth of the clothing industry in Kenya just after its recent high watermark in 2003. It provides evidence of the characteristics of these manufacturing establishments as well as evidence of the multiple and interconnected failures on the part of Government, parent companies, agents, and customers to promote the longer-term sustainability of the industry. As such, it provides further case study evidence of Africa's uniquely problematic incorporation into global commodity chains.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Himbara, David, 1994. "The failed Africanization of commerce and industry in Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 469-482, March.
- Rugman, Alan & D'Cruz, Joseph, 1997. "The theory of the flagship firm," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 403-412, August.
- Theodore H. Moran & Edward M. Graham & Magnus Blomstrom, 2005. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Development?," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 3810, 03.
- Helleiner, Gerald K, 1973. "Manufactured Exports from Less-Developed Countries and Multinational Firms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 83(329), pages 21-47, March.
- Sanjaya Lall, 2005. "FDI, AGOA and Manufactured Exports by a Landlocked, Least Developed African Economy: Lesotho," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(6), pages 998-1022.
- Asiedu, Elizabeth, 2002. "On the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment to Developing Countries: Is Africa Different?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 107-119, January.
- Elkins, Zachary & Guzman, Andrew T. & Simmons, Beth A., 2006. "Competing for Capital: The Diffusion of Bilateral Investment Treaties, 1960 2000," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 60(04), pages 811-846, October.
- Bair, Jennifer & Gereffi, Gary, 2001. "Local Clusters in Global Chains: The Causes and Consequences of Export Dynamism in Torreon's Blue Jeans Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 1885-1903, November.
- Gibbon, Peter, 2001. "Upgrading Primary Production: A Global Commodity Chain Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 345-363, February.
- Vernon, Raymond, 1979. "The Product Cycle Hypothesis in a New International Environment," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 41(4), pages 255-267, November.
- Cantwell, John, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: What Remains of the Product Cycle Model?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 155-174, February.
- Dunning, John H, 1979. "Explaining Changing Patterns of International Production: In Defence of the Eclectic Theory," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 41(4), pages 269-295, November.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:37:y:2009:i:2:p:314-325. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.