Location of Affiliates and Degree of Internationalisation: An Analysis of the World's Largest 664 TNCs
This paper analyses the profile of the world largest 664 transnational companies, in terms of the locational structure of their foreign affiliates. Two basic indices are used: (a) a Network Spread index which assesses the extent to which companies spread their activities in various countries of the world; (b) an Internationalisation index which assesses the foreign projection of the company by the percentage of affiliates located abroad in relation to the total number of company's affiliates. When possible and suitable, the results on these indices are compared to data on the macroeconomy. The analysis considers the locational profile in relation to: size of the firm, country of origin of the transnational and industry in which the companies operate.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 171 815 7731
Fax: +44 171 815 7076
Web page: http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/cibs
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/cibs/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Oman, 1996. "The Policy Challenges of Globalisation and Regionalisation," OECD Development Centre Policy Briefs 11, OECD Publishing.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1985. "Increasing Returns and the Theory of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 1752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vernon, Raymond, 1979. "The Product Cycle Hypothesis in a New International Environment," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 41(4), pages 255-67, November.
- Daniel Sullivan, 1994. "Measuring the Degree of Internationalization of a Firm," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 325-342, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sbu:cibswp:14-98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Rigby)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.