Beyond Keynesianism : global infrastructure investments in times of crisis
As the world recovers only slowly from the 2008 financial crisis and Europe is facing a looming debt crisis, concerns have increased that the"new normal"-- a period of high unemployment, low returns on investment, high risks, and low growth -- may become protracted in advanced economies. If growth remains weak, unemployment rates and debt levels will be slow to recede. Consequently, the global recovery may continue to be fragile for years to come. What the world needs now is a growth-lifting strategy. This strategy could take the form of a global infrastructure initiative. Since debt levels are high, governments in the United States and Europe could increase demand and support growth through investments in bottleneck-releasing infrastructure projects that are self-financing. An infrastructure initiative should, however, go beyond the borders of advanced countries and include developing countries. Economic and social returns to infrastructure investments tend to be high in developing countries, which have become increasingly important drivers of global growth. At the same time, infrastructure investments require capital goods, most of which are produced in high-income countries. Scaling up infrastructure investment in developing countries could therefore help generate a virtuous cycle in support of a global recovery.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kiichi Tokuoka & Murtaza H. Syed & Kenneth Kang, 2009. "â€œLost Decadeâ€ in Translation: What Japanâ€™s Crisis could Portend About Recovery from the Great Recession," IMF Working Papers 09/282, International Monetary Fund.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Andrew B. Stoeckel & YingYing Lu, 2014.
"Global Fiscal Adjustment and Trade Rebalancing,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(7), pages 892-922, 07.
- Warwick McKibbin & Andrew B Stoeckel & YingYing Lu, 2012. "Global Fiscal Adjustment and Trade Rebalancing," CAMA Working Papers 2012-12, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- McKibbin, Warwick J & Stoeckel, Andrew B & Lu, YingYing, 2012. "Global fiscal adjustment and trade rebalancing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6044, The World Bank.
- Roberts, Mark & Deichmann, Uwe & Fingleton, Bernard & Shi, Tuo, 2010. "On the road to prosperity ? The economic geography of China's national expressway network," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5479, The World Bank.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Leonard Waverman, 1996.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000. "Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alby, Philippe & Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Straub, Stéphane, 2011.
"Let there be Light! Firms Operating under Electricity Constraints in Developing Countries,"
TSE Working Papers
11-255, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Alby, Philippe & Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Straub, Stéphane, 2011. "Let there be Light! Firms Operating under Electricity Constraints in Developing Countries," IDEI Working Papers 686, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Olivier Cadot & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Andreas Stephan, 2004.
"Contribution to Productivity or Pork Barrel?: The Two Faces of Infrastructure Investment,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
458, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Cadot, Olivier & Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Stephan, Andreas, 2006. "Contribution to productivity or pork barrel? The two faces of infrastructure investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1133-1153, August.
- Olivier Cadot & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Andreas Stephan, 2002. "Contribution to Productivity or Pork Barrel? The Two Faces of Infrastructure Investment," CIG Working Papers FS IV 02-09, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 1999. "How inadequate provision of public infrastructure and services affects private investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2262, The World Bank.
- Ethan Ilzetzki & Enrique G. Mendoza & Carlos A. Végh, 2010.
"How Big (Small?) are Fiscal Multipliers?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1016, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Foster, Vivien & Steinbuks, Jevgenijs, 2009. "Paying the price for unreliable power supplies : in-house generation of electricity by firms in Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4913, The World Bank.
- Estache, Antonio & Fay, Marianne, 2007. "Current debates on infrastructure policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4410, The World Bank.
- Dang, Hai-Anh & Knack, Steve & Rogers, Halsey, 2009.
"International aid and financial crises in donor countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5162, The World Bank.
- Dang, Hai-Anh & Knack, Stephen & Rogers, F. Halsey, 2013. "International aid and financial crises in donor countries," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 232-250.
- César Calderón & Enrique Moral-Benito & Luis Servén, 2011.
"Is infrastructure capital productive? A dynamic heterogeneous approach,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
1103, Banco de Espa�a.
- Calderon, Cesar & Moral-Benito, Enrique & Serven, Luis, 2011. "Is infrastructure capital productive ? a dynamic heterogeneous approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5682, The World Bank.
- Kevin HjortshÃ¸j O'Rourke & Richard S. Grossman & Madalina A. Ursu, 2013. "A monthly stock exchange index for Ireland, 1864-1930," Economics Series Working Papers 120, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Fay, Marianne & Yepes, Tito, 2003. "Investing in infrastructure : what is needed from 2000 to 2010?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3102, The World Bank.
- Romp, Ward & de Haan, Jakob, 2005.
"Public capital and economic growth: a critical survey,"
2/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Ward Romp & Jakob de Haan, 2007. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: A Critical Survey," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(s1), pages 6-52, 04.
- repec:jet:dpaper:dpaper261 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Leigh & Andrea Pescatori & Jaime Guajardo, 2011. "Expansionary Austerity New International Evidence," IMF Working Papers 11/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Straub, Stephane & Vellutini, Charles & Warlters, Michael, 2008. "Infrastructure and economic growth in East Asia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4589, The World Bank.
- Dailami, Mansoor & Hauswald, Robert, 2007. "Credit-spread determinants and interlocking contracts: A study of the Ras Gas project," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 248-278, October.
- Era Dabla-Norris & Jim Brumby & Annette Kyobe & Zac Mills & Chris Papageorgiou, 2012.
"Investing in public investment: an index of public investment efficiency,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 235-266, September.
- Zac Mills & Annette Kyobe & Jim Brumby & Chris Papageorgiou & Era Dabla-Norris, 2011. "Investing in Public Investment: An Index of Public Investment Efficiency," IMF Working Papers 11/37, International Monetary Fund.
- Canuto, Otaviano & Liu, Lili, 2010. "Subnational Debt Finance and the Global Financial Crisis," World Bank - Economic Premise, The World Bank, issue 13, pages 1-7, May.
- J. Luis Guasch, 2004. "Granting and Renegotiating Infrastructure Concessions : Doing it Right," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15024.
- Klein, Michael, 1997. "Managing guarantee programs in support of infrastructure investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1812, The World Bank.
- Taryn Dinkelman, 2011. "The Effects of Rural Electrification on Employment: New Evidence from South Africa," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(7), pages 3078-3108, December.
- Lin Justin Yifu, 1997. "Introduction," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 30(5), pages 10-15, September.
- Price V. Fishback & Valentina Kachanovskaya, 2010. "In Search of the Multiplier for Federal Spending in the States During the Great Depression," NBER Working Papers 16561, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:5940. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.