Long-run Effects of Resource Rents in Developing Countries: The role of public investment management
The paper studies the long-run effects of shocks to resource rents on the economy using a structural vector error correction model for 37 developing countries. First, the long-run relations involving resource rents and the economy differ for resource importers and exporters. Second, there is an indirect effect from resource rents to output through public capital accumulation for resource exporters. third, although resource rents have a positive long-run impact on output, good public investment management is required for resource rents to improve non-resource output.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.oxcarre.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Renee Fry & Adrian Pagan, 2010.
"Sign Restrictions in Structural Vector Autoregressions: A Critical Review,"
NCER Working Paper Series
57, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Ren�e Fry & Adrian Pagan, 2011. "Sign Restrictions in Structural Vector Autoregressions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 49(4), pages 938-60, December.
- Renee Fry & Adrian Pagan, 2010. "Sign Restrictions in Structural Vector Autoregressions: A Critical Review," CAMA Working Papers 2010-22, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Frederick Van der Ploeg, 2010.
"Natural Resources: Curse or Blessing?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3125, CESifo Group Munich.
- Zac Mills & Annette Kyobe & Jim Brumby & Chris Papageorgiou & Era Dabla-Norris, 2011.
"Investing in Public Investment; An Index of Public Investment Efficiency,"
IMF Working Papers
11/37, International Monetary Fund.
- Era Dabla-Norris & Jim Brumby & Annette Kyobe & Zac Mills & Chris Papageorgiou, 2012. "Investing in public investment: an index of public investment efficiency," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 235-266, September.
- Phylaktis, Kate & Girardin, Eric, 2001. "Foreign exchange markets in transition economies: China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 215-235, February.
- Lutz Kilian & Alessandro Rebucci & Nikola Spatafora, 2007.
"Oil Shocks and External Balances,"
562, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Juan F. Rubio-Ramírez & Daniel F.Waggoner & Tao Zha, 2008.
"Structural vector autoregressions: theory of identification and algorithms for inference,"
2008-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Juan F. Rubio-Ram�rez & Daniel F. Waggoner & Tao Zha, 2010. "Structural Vector Autoregressions: Theory of Identification and Algorithms for Inference," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 77(2), pages 665-696.
- Lin, Justin Yifu & Doemeland, Doerte, 2012.
"Beyond Keynesianism : global infrastructure investments in times of crisis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5940, The World Bank.
- Justin Yifu Lin & Doerte Doemeland, 2012. "Beyond Keynesianism: Global Infrastructure Investments In Times Of Crisis," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 3(03), pages 1250015-1-1.
- Michael Alexeev & Robert Conrad, 2009. "The Elusive Curse of Oil," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(3), pages 586-598, August.
- Paul Collier & Benedikt Goderis, 2008.
"Commodity Prices and Growth: An empirical investigation,"
OxCarre Working Papers
014, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Collier, Paul & Goderis, Benedikt, 2012. "Commodity prices and growth: An empirical investigation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 1241-1260.
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Kangur, Alvar & Papageorgiou, Chris & Wane, Abdoul, 2014.
"Efficiency-Adjusted Public Capital and Growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 164-178.
- Palaskas, Theodosios B. & Varangis, Panos N., 1991. "Is there excess co-movement of primary commodity prices? A co-integration test," Policy Research Working Paper Series 758, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oxf:oxcrwp:105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Celia Kingham)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.