Investing in public investment: an index of public investment efficiency
Pritchett (J Econ Growth 5:361–384, 2000 ) convincingly argued that the difference between investment cost and capital value is of first-order empirical importance especially for developing countries where public investment is the primary source of investment. This paper constructs a public investment efficiency index that captures the institutional environment underpinning public investment management across four different stages: project appraisal, selection, implementation, and evaluation. Covering 71 countries, including 40 low-income countries, the index allows for benchmarking across regions and country groups and for nuanced policy-relevant analysis and identification of specific areas where reform efforts could be prioritized. Research applications are outlined. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Kangur, Alvar & Papageorgiou, Chris & Wane, Abdoul, 2014.
"Efficiency-Adjusted Public Capital and Growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 164-178.
- Agénor, Pierre-Richard, 2010.
"A theory of infrastructure-led development,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 932-950, May.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor, 2006. "A Theory of Infrastructure-led Development," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 83, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Knack, Stephen & Rogers, F. Halsey & Eubank, Nicholas, 2011.
"Aid Quality and Donor Rankings,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1907-1917.
- Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sergio, 1993.
"Fiscal policy and economic growth: An empirical investigation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 417-458, December.
- Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1994. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation," CEPR Discussion Papers 885, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- William Easterly & Sergio Rebelo, 1993. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 4499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Luis Guasch & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Stéphane Straub, 2007.
"Concessions of infrastructure in Latin America: Government-led renegotiation,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1267-1294.
- Guasch, Jose Luis & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Straub, Stéphane, 2005. "Concessions of Infrastructure in Latin America: Goverment-Led Renegotiation," IDEI Working Papers 372, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- J. Luis Guasch & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Stephane Straub, 2005. "Concessions of Infrastructure in Latin America: Government-led Renegotiation," ESE Discussion Papers 132, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Francesco Caselli & James Feyrer, 2006.
"The Marginal Product of Capital,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0735, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Pritchett, Lant, 2000.
"The tyranny of concepts - CUDIE (Cumulated, Depreciated Investment Effort) is NOT capital,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2341, The World Bank.
- Pritchett, Lant, 2000. " The Tyranny of Concepts: CUDIE (Cumulated, Depreciated, Investment Effort) Is Not Capital," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 361-84, December.
- Ward Romp & Jakob de Haan, 2007.
"Public Capital and Economic Growth: A Critical Survey,"
Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(s1), pages 6-52, 04.
- Romp, Ward & de Haan, Jakob, 2005. "Public capital and economic growth: a critical survey," EIB Papers 2/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Francesco Caselli, 2005. "Accounting for cross-country income differences," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3567, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Caselli, Francesco, 2005.
"Accounting for Cross-Country Income Differences,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 9, pages 679-741
- Francesco Caselli, 2005. "Accounting for Cross-Country Income Differences," CEP Discussion Papers dp0667, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Francesco Caselli, 2004. "Accounting for Cross-Country Income Differences," NBER Working Papers 10828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caselli, Francesco, 2004. "Accounting for Cross-Country Income Differences," CEPR Discussion Papers 4703, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip Keefer & Stephen Knack, 2007. "Boondoggles, Rent-Seeking, and Political Checks and Balances: Public Investment under Unaccountable Governments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 566-572, August.
- Henisz, Witold J. & Zelner, Bennet A., 2006. "Interest Groups, Veto Points, and Electricity Infrastructure Deployment," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 60(01), pages 263-286, January.
- Jack Diamond, 2006. "Budget System Reform in Emerging Economies; The Challenges and the Reform Agenda," IMF Occasional Papers 245, International Monetary Fund.
- Esfahani, Hadi Salehi & Ramirez, Maria Teresa, 2003. "Institutions, infrastructure, and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 443-477, April.
- William Easterly & Timothy Irwin & Luis Servén, 2008.
"Walking up the Down Escalator: Public Investment and Fiscal Stability,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 23(1), pages 37-56, January.
- Easterly, William & Irwin, Timothy & Serven, Luis, 2007. "Walking up the down escalator : public investment and fiscal stability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4158, The World Bank.
- Davina F. Jacobs, 2008. "A Review of Capital Budgeting Practices," IMF Working Papers 08/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Leroy P. Jones & Pankaj Tandon & Ingo Vogelsang, 1990. "Selling Public Enterprises: A Cost/Benefit Methodology," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262600625, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jecgro:v:17:y:2012:i:3:p:235-266. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.