Sources of German unemployment: a structural vector error correction analysis
In this paper we analyze the sources of German unemployment within a structural vector error correction model (SVECM) framework. For this purpose, we propose a method to estimate an exactly identified Subset SVECM, which is a SVECM with short run parameter restrictions. A cointegration analysis for the unified Germany reveals a long rum relationship between real wages, productivity and unemployment which is interpreted as a wage setting relation. From a Subset VECM we identify meaningful structural shocks and assess their importance for unemployment by impulse response analysis and forecast error variance decompositions. We compare these results to results from a standard SVECM and find that, using the Subset VECM reduces estimation uncertainty. In contrast to previous studies for West Germany, we find that, unemployment is equally determined by technology, labor supply and labor demand shocks in the long run. - Unemployment ; Subset VECM ; Structural VECM ; Bootstrap ; Cointegration
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 31 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacobson, Tor & Vredin, Anders & Warne, Anders, 1994.
"Are Real Wages and Unemployment Related?,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
8, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Juan J. Dolado & Juan F. Jimeno, .
"The causes of Spanish unemployment: A structural VAR apporach,"
- Dolado, Juan J. & Jimeno, Juan F., 1997. "The causes of Spanish unemployment: A structural VAR approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 1281-1307, July.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lutkepohl, Helmut, 2000.
"Testing for the Cointegrating Rank of a VAR Process with Structural Shifts,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 18(4), pages 451-64, October.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 2001. "Testing for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process with structural shifts," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,82, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Bean, C R & Layard, P R G & Nickell, S J, 1986. "The Rise in Unemployment: A Multi-country Study," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(210(S)), pages S1-22, Supplemen.
- Nyblom, Jukka & Harvey, Andrew, 2000.
"Tests Of Common Stochastic Trends,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(02), pages 176-199, April.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Locarno, Alberto & Oneto, Gian Paolo & Sestito, Paolo, 2001.
"The sources of unemployment fluctuations: an empirical application to the Italian case,"
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 259-289, May.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Locarno, Alberto & Oneto, Giampaolo & Sestito, Paolo, 2000. "The sources of unemployment fluctuations: an empirical application to the Italian case," Working Paper Series 0029, European Central Bank.
- Robert G. King & Charles I. Plosser & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"Stochastic trends and economic fluctuations,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- H. Lütkepohl & P. Saikkonen, 1997.
"Testing for the Cointegrating Rank of a VAR Process with a Time Trend,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1997,79, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2000. "Testing for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process with a time trend," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 177-198, March.
- Kai Carstensen & Gerd Hansen, 2000.
"Cointegration and common trends on the West German labour market,"
Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 475-493.
- Carstensen, Kai & Hansen, Gerd, 2000. "Cointegration and common trends on the West German labour market," Munich Reprints in Economics 19947, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Junsoo Lee & Mark Strazicich, 2001. "Testing the null of stationarity in the presence of a structural break," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(6), pages 377-382.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:empeco:v:31:y:2006:i:2:p:409-431. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.