Analyzing trade liberalization effect in egg sector using a dynamic gravity model
This study analyzes the effects of different liberalization scenarios in the international trade of eggs and egg products. We use a dynamic gravity model that takes into account the observed persistence of trading partners. The estimated parameters of the gravity model serve to quantify the impact of various liberalization scenarios on the probability of importing (extensive margin) and on trade volumes (intensive margin). The results indicate that even in the context of aggressive trade liberalization, trade gains at the extensive margin will be modest. Gains at the intensive margin of trade are present even in the context of partial liberalization - Doha-type - of trade.
|Date of creation:||07 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susanto, Dwi & Rosson, C. Parr, III & Adcock, Flynn J., 2007. "Trade Creation and Trade Diversion in the North American Free Trade Agreement: The Case of the Agricultural Sector," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(01), April.
- Luca De Benedictis & Claudio Vicarelli, 2004.
"Trade Potentials In Gravity Panel Data Models,"
ISAE Working Papers
44, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2011.
"Structural Estimation of Gravity Models with Path-dependent Market Entry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8458, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2011. "Structural Estimation of Gravity Models with Path-Dependent Market Entry," FIW Research Reports series III-007, FIW.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2004.
"The Puzzling Persistence of the Distance Effect on Bilateral Trade,"
Development Working Papers
186, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2008. "The Puzzling Persistence of the Distance Effect on Bilateral Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 37-48, February.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2008. "The puzzling persistence of the distance effect on bilateral trade," Post-Print hal-01172854, HAL.
- Josep M Vilarrubia & Rubén Segura-Cayuela, 2008.
"Uncertainty and entry into export markets,"
2008 Meeting Papers
661, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bchir, Mohamed Hedi & Jean, Sebastien & Laborde, David, 2005.
"Binding Overhang and Tariff-Cutting Formulas,"
18873, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Mohamed Hedi Bchir & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2006. "Binding Overhang and Tariff-Cutting Formulas," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(2), pages 207-232, July.
- Bernard, A., 1997.
"Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?,"
97-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Bradford Jensen, J., 1999. "Exceptional exporter performance: cause, effect, or both?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," NBER Working Papers 6272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Mark B. Stewart, 2007.
"The interrelated dynamics of unemployment and low-wage employment,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 511-531.
- Stewart, Mark, 2006. "The Inter-related Dynamics of Unemployment and Low-Wage Employment," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 741, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Lota D. Tamini & Jean-Philippe Gervais & Bruno Larue, 2010. "Trade liberalisation effects on agricultural goods at different processing stages," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 37(4), pages 453-477, December.
- Douglas L. Campbell, 2010.
"History, Culture, and Trade: A Dynamic Gravity Approach,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2010_26, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Campbell, Douglas L., 2010. "History, culture, and trade: a dynamic gravity approach," MPRA Paper 24014, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:123:y:2008:i:2:p:441-487 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2005.
"Simple solutions to the initial conditions problem in dynamic, nonlinear panel data models with unobserved heterogeneity,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 39-54.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2002. "Simple solutions to the initial conditions problem in dynamic, nonlinear panel data models with unobserved heterogeneity," CeMMAP working papers CWP18/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Claudio Paiva, 2005.
"Assessing Protectionism and Subsidies in Agriculture: A Gravity Approach,"
IMF Working Papers
05/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Claudio Paiva, 2008. "Assessing protectionism and subsidies in agriculture-a gravity approach," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(5), pages 628-640.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:123:y:2008:i:2:p:441-487 is not listed on IDEAS
- Krinsky, Itzhak & Robb, A Leslie, 1986. "On Approximating the Statistical Properties of Elasticities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 715-19, November.
- Mark Stewart, 2006. "Maximum simulated likelihood estimation of random-effects dynamic probit models with autocorrelated errors," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(2), pages 256-272, June.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Egger, .
"An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Peter Egger, 2002. "An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 297-312, 02.
- Ivan T. Kandilov & Xiaoyong Zheng, 2011. "The impact of entry costs on export market participation in agriculture," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(5), pages 531-546, 09.
- Thomas Chaney, 2008. "Distorted Gravity: The Intensive and Extensive Margins of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1707-21, September.
- James I. Rude & Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2006. "Tariff-Rate Quota Liberalization: The Case of World Price Uncertainty and Supply Management," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(1), pages 33-54, 03.
- Rafajlovic, Juanita & Cardwell, Ryan T., 2010. "The Implications Of The Wto Negotiations On The Canadian Chicken Market: Two Representations Of Chicken And Stochastic World Prices," Working Papers 95814, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Pascal L. Ghazalian & Bruno Larue & Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2009. "Exporting to new destinations and the effects of tariffs: the case of meat commodities," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(6), pages 701-714, November.
- Debaere, Peter & Mostashari, Shalah, 2010. "Do tariffs matter for the extensive margin of international trade? An empirical analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 163-169, July.
- Jason H. Grant & Thomas W. Hertel & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2007. "Dairy Tariff-Quota Liberalization: Contrasting Bilateral and Most Favored Nation Reform Options," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 673-684.
- Abdessalem Abbassi & Olivier Bonroy & Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2008. "Dairy Trade Liberalization Impacts in Canada," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 56(3), pages 313-335, 09.
- Rubinstein, Yona & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2008.
"Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes,"
3228230, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2007. "Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," NBER Working Papers 12927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39315. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.