Understanding the implementation of e-business strategies: Evidence from Luxembourg
Our empirical study aims at identifying the drivers of the implementation of an e-business strategy by firms located in Luxembourg. The setting up of such a strategy is apprehended through the website and the type of strategy through the functionalities available on the Internet. Thus we distinguish an information-oriented strategy from a commercially oriented one. Probit analyses and models derived from count data models are conducted on a dataset of website investments by about 1100 firms located in Luxembourg. Our results show that the sale of online fashionable products like tourism, the ownership of a well-known brand and the follow-up of rivals' behaviours are highly significant determinants of the adoption and development of an e-business strategy. Financial, human and technological resources seem to favour the adoption of such a strategy but have no significant influence on the choice of the strategy pursued. Moreover the use of technologies that make the business process more flexible, public actions that diffuse best practices concerning technologies adoption and being the leader on the market are specific drivers of the deployment of an e-business strategy. Finally, an intense perceived competition negatively influences the decision to invest heavily in e-commerce.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse & Laure Turner, 2005.
"Identifying Age, Cohort and Period Effects in Scientific Research Productivity: Discussion and Illustration Using Simulated and Actual Data on French Physicists,"
NBER Working Papers
11739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn Hall & Jacques Mairesse & Laure Turner, 2007. "Identifying Age, Cohort, And Period Effects In Scientific Research Productivity: Discussion And Illustration Using Simulated And Actual Data On French Physicists," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 159-177.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques & Turner, Laure, 2006. "Identifying Age, Cohort and Period Effects in Scientific Research Productivity - Discussion and Illustration Using Simulated and Actual Data on French Physicists," MERIT Working Papers 042, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Bronwyn Hall & Jacques Mairesse & Laure Turner, 2005. "Identifying Age, Cohort and Period Effects in Scientific Research Productivity : Discussion and Illustration Using Simulated and Actual Data on French Physicists," Working Papers 2005-22, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Feindt, Sylvie & Jeffcoate, Judith & Chappell, Caroline, 2002. " Identifying Success Factors for Rapid Growth in SME E-commerce," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 51-62, August.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Hirshleifer, David & Welch, Ivo, 1992.
"A Theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom, and Cultural Change in Informational Cascades,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 992-1026, October.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & David Hirshleifer & Ivo Welch, 2010. "A theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom and cultural change as informational Cascades," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1193, David K. Levine.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Patrizio Pagano, 2004.
"Barriers to investment in ICT,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(20), pages 2275-2286.
- Sadowski, B. M. & Maitland, C. & van Dongen, J., 2002. "Strategic use of the Internet by small- and medium-sized companies: an exploratory study," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 75-93, March.
- Diansheng Dong & Atanu Saha, 1998. "He came, he saw, (and) he waited: an empirical analysis of inertia in technology adoption," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 893-905.
- Massoud Karshenas & Paul L. Stoneman, 1993.
"Rank, Stock, Order, and Epidemic Effects in the Diffusion of New Process Technologies: An Empirical Model,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(4), pages 503-528, Winter.
- Karshenas, Massoud & Stoneman, Paul, 1990. "Rank, Stock, Order And Epidemic Effects In The Diffusion Of New Process Technologies : An Empirical Model," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 358, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Lin, Zhengxi & Baldwin, John R., 2001.
"Impediments to Advanced Technology Adoption for Canadian Manufacturers,"
Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series
2001173e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Baldwin, John & Lin, Zhengxi, 2002. "Impediments to advanced technology adoption for Canadian manufacturers," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Bronwyn H. Hall & Zvi Griliches, 1984.
"Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, Jerry & Hall, Bronwyn H & Griliches, Zvi, 1984. "Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 909-38, July.
- Geroski, Paul A, 1999.
"Models of Technology Diffusion,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2146, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ruby Roy Dholakia & Nir Kshetri, 2004. "Factors Impacting the Adoption of the Internet among SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 311-322, November.
- Forman, Chris & Goldfarb, Avi & Greenstein, Shane, 2005. "How did location affect adoption of the commercial Internet? Global village vs. urban leadership," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 389-420, November.
- Martin, Ludivine & Penard, Thierry, 2005. "Investing in a Website: A Top Dog or a Resource-Based Strategy for Firms?," MPRA Paper 2503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chris Forman & Avi Goldfarb & Shane Greenstein, 2008. "Understanding the Inputs into Innovation: Do Cities Substitute for Internal Firm Resources?," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 295-316, 06.
- Santarelli, Enrico & D'Altri, Samuele, 2003. " The Diffusion of E-Commerce Among SMEs: Theoretical Implications and Empirical Evidence," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 273-83, November.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Michael D. Smith, 2000.
"Frictionless Commerce? A Comparison of Internet and Conventional Retailers,"
INFORMS, vol. 46(4), pages 563-585, April.
- Michael Smith & Erik Brynjolfsson, 1999. "Frictionless Commerce? A Comparison of Internet and Conventional Retailers," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1022, Society for Computational Economics.
- Danielle Galliano & Pascale Roux, 2008. "Organisational motives and spatial effects in Internet adoption and intensity of use: evidence from French industrial firms," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 425-448, June.
- Gurmu, Shiferaw & Trivedi, Pravin K., 1992. "Overdispersion tests for truncated Poisson regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 347-370.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-33, March.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Alessandro Sterlacchini, 2004. "The Adoption of ICT among SMEs: Evidence from an Italian Survey," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 151-168, 09.
- Chris Forman, 2005. "The Corporate Digital Divide: Determinants of Internet Adoption," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(4), pages 641-654, April.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & David Hirshleifer & Ivo Welch, 1998. "Learning from the Behavior of Others: Conformity, Fads, and Informational Cascades," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(3), pages 151-170, Summer.
- Dinlersoz, Emin M. & Pereira, Pedro, 2007.
"On the diffusion of electronic commerce,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 541-574, June.
- Danielle Galliano & Roux, 2003. "Espaces, organisations et TIC : les enseignements d'une comparaison intersectorielle," Working Papers 155625, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Anna Giunta & Francesco Trivieri, 2007. "Understanding the determinants of information technology adoption: evidence from Italian manufacturing firms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(10), pages 1325-1334.
- Grogger, J T & Carson, Richard T, 1991. "Models for Truncated Counts," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 225-38, July-Sept.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13645. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.