Determinants of E-commerce adoption by franchisors: Insights from the U.S. market
E-commerce has grown tremendously over the past decade. This paper focuses on E-commerce adoption within the franchising sector. We formulate various hypotheses on the factors that influence the adoption of an E-commerce strategy by franchisors, namely the percentage of company-owned stores in the network, network size and age, franchisor resources (franchising fees and franchising royalties), and the allocation of exclusive territories to franchisees. The empirical study relies on a sample of 486 franchise networks in the U.S. market. Our findings suggest that the percentage of company-owned stores and the brand image, as represented by network size, both exert a significant and positive impact on the adoption of an E-commerce strategy, whereas network age and franchising royalties exert a significant and negative impact on the adoption of such a strategy. These findings are discussed with respect to previous research results.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) – Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 RENNES Cedex|
Phone: 02 23 23 35 47
Fax: (33) 2 23 23 35 99
Web page: http://crem.univ-rennes1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) - Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 Rennes Cedex - France|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ludivine Martin & Thierry Pénard, 2005.
"Investing in a website: a top dog or a resource-based strategy for firms?,"
- Martin, Ludivine & Penard, Thierry, 2005. "Investing in a Website: A Top Dog or a Resource-Based Strategy for Firms?," MPRA Paper 2503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ludivine Martin & Thierry Pénard, 2006. "Investing in a website : a top dog or a resource-based strategy for firms ?," Post-Print halshs-00109618, HAL.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 1996.
"The Dynamics of Franchise Contracting: Evidence from Panel Data,"
NBER Working Papers
5585, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 1999. "The Dynamics of Franchise Contracting: Evidence from Panel Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(5), pages 1041-1080, October.
- Francine Lafontaine & Joanne E. Oxley, 2004. "International Franchising Practices in Mexico: Do Franchisors Customize Their Contracts?," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 95-123, 03.
- Pierre Azoulay & Scott Shane, 2001. "Entrepreneurs, Contracts, and the Failure of Young Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(3), pages 337-358, March.
- Francine Lafontaine, 1992. "Agency Theory and Franchising: Some Empirical Results," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(2), pages 263-283, Summer.
- Blair,Roger D. & Lafontaine,Francine, 2011.
"The Economics of Franchising,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521775892, june. pag.
- Mathewson, G Frank & Winter, Ralph A, 1985. "The Economics of Franchise Contracts," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(3), pages 503-26, October.
- Forman, Chris & Goldfarb, Avi & Greenstein, Shane, 2005. "How did location affect adoption of the commercial Internet? Global village vs. urban leadership," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 389-420, November.
- Botti, Laurent & Briec, Walter & Cliquet, Gérard, 2009. "Plural forms versus franchise and company-owned systems: A DEA approach of hotel chain performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 566-578, June.
- Chris Forman, 2005. "The Corporate Digital Divide: Determinants of Internet Adoption," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(4), pages 641-654, April.
- Michael, Steven C., 2003. "First mover advantage through franchising," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 61-80, January.
- Dunning, John H. & Pak, Yong Suhk & Beldona, Sam, 2007. "Foreign ownership strategies of UK and US international franchisors: An exploratory application of Dunning's envelope paradigm," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 531-548, October.
- Ruby Roy Dholakia & Nir Kshetri, 2004. "Factors Impacting the Adoption of the Internet among SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 311-322, November.
- Perrigot, Rozenn & Cliquet, Gérard & Piot-Lepetit, Isabelle, 2009. "Plural form chain and efficiency: Insights from the French hotel chains and the DEA methodology," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 268-280, August.
- Arturs Kalnins, 2004. "An Empirical Analysis of Territorial Encroachment Within Franchised and Company-Owned Branded Chains," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(4), pages 476-489, September.
- Vincent, William Slater, 1998. "Encroachment: legal restrictions on retail franchise expansion," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 29-41, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tut:cremwp:201206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CODA-POIREY Hélène)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.