Understanding the determinants of information technology adoption: evidence from Italian manufacturing firms
Our empirical study aims at identifying the determinants of Information Technology (IT) adoption by small and medium sized Italian manufacturing firms. An ordered probit analysis is conducted on a sample of about 17 000 firms surveyed by the Italian Statistical Institute, using as a dependent variable an index of IT adoption. Our results show that firm size, geographical location, functional composition of the workforce, R&D activity, subcontracting, exports and collaboration between firms are all highly significant determinants of IT adoption. Such results are consistent with most of the predictions advanced in the few studies existing on this topic.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lal, K., 2002. "E-business and manufacturing sector: a study of small and medium-sized enterprises in India," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1199-1211, September.
- Diansheng Dong & Atanu Saha, 1998. "He came, he saw, (and) he waited: an empirical analysis of inertia in technology adoption," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 893-905.
- Alfonso Gambardella & Salvatore Torrisi, 2001. "Nuova industria o nuova economia? L'impatto dell'informatica sulla produttivitˆ dei settori manifatturieri in Italia," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 54(213), pages 39-76.
- Susanna Mantegazza & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio & Simona Iammarino, 2001. "The regional dimension of the ICT industry in Italy," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2001(110).
- Martin Falk, 2002. "Endogenous organizational change and the expected demand for different skill groups," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(7), pages 419-423.
- Lal, K., 1999. "Determinants of the adoption of Information Technology: a case study of electrical and electronic goods manufacturing firms in India," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 667-680, September.
- Rinaldo Evangelista & Maria Savona, 2002. "The Impact of Innovation on Employment in Services: Evidence from Italy," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 309-318.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2000. "Beyond Computation: Information Technology, Organizational Transformation and Business Performance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 23-48, Fall.
- Robert J. Gordon, 2000.
"Does the "New Economy" Measure Up to the Great Inventions of the Past?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 49-74, Fall.
- Gordon, Robert J, 2000. "Does the 'New Economy' Measure up to the Great Inventions of the Past?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2607, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Gordon, 2000. "Does the "New Economy" Measure up to the Great Inventions of the Past?," NBER Working Papers 7833, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shin-Horng Chen, 2002. "Global Production Networks and Information Technology: The Case of Taiwan," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 249-265.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Patrizio Pagano, 2004.
"Barriers to investment in ICT,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(20), pages 2275-2286.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Silvia Fabiani & Fabiano Schivardi & Sandro Trento, 2005. "ICT adoption in Italian manufacturing: firm-level evidence," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 225-249, April.
- Jai-Joon Hur & Hwan-Joo Seo & Young Soo Lee, 2005. "Information and communication technology diffusion and skill upgrading in Korean industries," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(7), pages 553-571.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Alessandro Sterlacchini, 2004. "The Adoption of ICT among SMEs: Evidence from an Italian Survey," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 151-168, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:39:y:2007:i:10:p:1325-1334. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.